Gun Ownership - NO politics, just "Do you or do you not own a firearm"

Do you legally own a firearm of any kind?

• I own one or more firearms, and am an American

Votes: 369 56.8%
  • I own NO firearms, and am an American

Votes: 98 15.1%
  • I own one or more firearms, and am other than American (Feel free to specify Citizenship)

Votes: 60 9.2%
  • I own NO firearms, and am other than American (Feel free to specify Citizenship)

Votes: 100 15.4%
  • I am not legally able to own a firearm (Feel free to specify reason)

Votes: 23 3.5%

• Total voters
Yep, other than multi round burst there is just automatic fire and single shot.
"Legally" speaking, the NFA defines a fully automatic as any mechanism that allows a shooter to fire more than one shot per pull. Hence why binary triggers couldn't be banned by it, but some faux paus "safety legislation" was passed to ban them in some states. Same with those slide fire stocks - can't have the normal civvies with the ability to have any kind of surpressing firepower, you know? Because this is "for your own safety," the "public safety" and "the greater 'good'."

I gave about a grand for my M1919, short barrel WWII model. 250 rounds of linked 30-06 fun was money well spent in my opinion.
I couldn't afford anything past a Hi-Point. I'd be lucky just to afford a Taurus or a Smith and Wesson!

I couldn't afford anything past a Hi-Point. I'd be lucky just to afford a Taurus or a Smith and Wesson!
You say that almost as if you think there's something wrong with a S&W...

My EDC is a Smith & Wesson Model 15-1 with 4 inch barrel that left the factory in 1959, according to the serial number. A .38 Special wheel-gun, older than I am, and still capable of shooting straighter than the small but significant tremor I've started noticing in recent years allows me to aim it anymore - put it in the pistol equivalent of a lead-sled, and it'll shoot half-inch groups all day long at 25 yards, and only opens up to about an inch at 50 yards. Hand-held, single-action mode, I can count on it for "minute-of-paper-plate" groups at 50 yards, and usually 4-5 inches at 25. Double-action hand-held is a bit sloppier, but I can still put 5 out of 6 shots on the paper plate at 50 yards, and routinely get 6-7 inch groups at 25.

I've heard complaints from many directions about post-1980 S&Ws being problem-prone and having crappy fit and finish quality, but since I've never actually fired one of those, let alone owned one, I can't offer anything that even approaches being a realistically useful judgement.

(And yes, a K-frame is generally considered a damned big gun for true "concealed" carry, but since I'm in an open-carry state, and unlike some states that say a concealed-carry permit means the holder *MUST* conceal, here it only means *MAY* conceal, so if it prints, or my flannel flaps in the breeze and exposes it, it's a non-issue)

Dunno where exactly you found that particular anti-AR-15 meme, but I can see at a glance it was put together by an idiot who knows little more than "Oh! Those scary black riles are evil! Think of the chillllldren!" about firearms.

Y'know How I can tell?

That AR-10 will do things that the AR-15 can only dream about - due to the fact that it spits .308, a round that's very nearly interchangeable with the Main Battle Rifle class .30-06 as far as bullet size, weight, range and power is concerned, rather than .223/5.56, which is, once you get past all the hype and idiocy that surrounds it, nothing but a slightly heavier and faster-flying .22 bullet. (faster due to having a bigger powder charge behind it) The typical .22LR bullet is the same diameter as the .223/5.56, but the bullet weight is usually between 28-40 grains, depending on maker and bullet style, while .223/5.56 ammo has a larger range of bullet weights available, but the overwhelming majority of folks who shoot them use either 55 grain full metal jacket, or 62 grain steel-core "windshield puncher" bullets.

In other words, that cute little meme that, at first glance, seems to actually convey a reasonable point is REALLY suggesting that us AR-15 folks should instead have a *BIGGER, BADDER, MORE POWERFUL* weapon than the AR-15!

Gotta love the ignorance of the anti-gun folks :)

(Also, I'm still trying to figure out how you tell the difference between "full semi-automatic" and "standard semi-automatic", and more importantly, how one of them can be any more or less safe than the other - Can anybody help me out on that score?)
There isn’t any difference. Full semi isn’t a thing. Full auto yes.
and on bigger is better. That’s debatable. 308 can be stopped by level two body armor without AR plate.However 5.56 can not be stopped without some sort of steel in the vest. It’s too fast and slender of a round for plane woven fiber. I still like 308 though.

You say that almost as if you think there's something wrong with a S&W...

My EDC is a Smith & Wesson Model 15-1 with 4 inch barrel that left the factory in 1959, according to the serial number. A .38 Special wheel-gun, older than I am, and still capable of shooting straighter than the small but significant tremor I've started noticing in recent years allows me to aim it anymore - put it in the pistol equivalent of a lead-sled, and it'll shoot half-inch groups all day long at 25 yards, and only opens up to about an inch at 50 yards. Hand-held, single-action mode, I can count on it for "minute-of-paper-plate" groups at 50 yards, and usually 4-5 inches at 25. Double-action hand-held is a bit sloppier, but I can still put 5 out of 6 shots on the paper plate at 50 yards, and routinely get 6-7 inch groups at 25.

I've heard complaints from many directions about post-1980 S&Ws being problem-prone and having crappy fit and finish quality, but since I've never actually fired one of those, let alone owned one, I can't offer anything that even approaches being a realistically useful judgement.

(And yes, a K-frame is generally considered a damned big gun for true "concealed" carry, but since I'm in an open-carry state, and unlike some states that say a concealed-carry permit means the holder *MUST* conceal, here it only means *MAY* conceal, so if it prints, or my flannel flaps in the breeze and exposes it, it's a non-issue)
I don't say that as an insult to Smith and Wesson - they make solid firearms. I'm just saying I'm poor. ?

• Haha
Reactions: IHO
Maybe they do that to make it sound scarier? I mean, to my knowledge there is "auto" and "semi-auto" and no variants thereof.
<heheheh> Yep, that's it exactly. So far as I know, there are only 7 *REAL-WORLD* (as opposed to pure bullshit media/anti-gun hype) firing modes:

Single-shot = one trigger pull makes one bang, then manually reload the weapon before you can shoot again. EVERY muzzle-loader is a single-shot gun. There are also a good number of (reasonably-)modern breech-loaders that are single-shot.

Semi-auto = one trigger pull makes one bang. Repeat until magazine is empty, you have a round fail to fire, or have a mechanical failure of some type. Then either reload, manually cycle the action, or fix the malfunction (if possible) before you can start firing again.

Single-action revolver = Pull back hammer, pull trigger. One bang. Repeat as many times as there are holes in the cylinder, then reload. A very few, very old, very scarce nowdays models may require manually rotating the cylinder between shots.

Double-action revolver = Pull the trigger, get one bang. Pull it again. One bang. And again. One bang. Repeat until you run out of whatever capacity your cylinder has. Reload and start again.

Burst mode = one trigger pull makes <insert round count that particular gun is set up to produce> bangs. Repeat until mag is empty, reload.

Full-auto = One trigger pull-then-hold goes bang over and over again until the trigger is released, the magazine runs dry, or a mechanical failure (perhaps you've shot so many rounds the barrel melts...) or similar issue stops the fire/eject/load/fire cycle.

Continuous fire = Gatling gun, the A-10 Warthog's GAU-8 Avenger, the M-134 Minigun (AKA "The gun Jesse Ventura's character uses in the movie Predator") etc - Hit the switch or turn the crank - it keeps firing until you stop turning the crank, release the switch, the ammo supply is gone, or there's some sort of mechanical failure, whichever comes first.

<heheheh> Yep, that's it exactly. So far as I know, there are only 7 *REAL-WORLD* (as opposed to pure bullshit media/anti-gun hype) firing modes:

Single-shot = one trigger pull makes one bang, then manually reload the weapon before you can shoot again. EVERY muzzle-loader is a single-shot gun. There are also a good number of (reasonably-)modern breech-loaders that are single-shot.

Semi-auto = one trigger pull makes one bang. Repeat until magazine is empty, you have a round fail to fire, or have a mechanical failure of some type. Then either reload, manually cycle the action, or fix the malfunction (if possible) before you can start firing again.

Single-action revolver = Pull back hammer, pull trigger. One bang. Repeat as many times as there are holes in the cylinder, then reload. A very few, very old, very scarce nowdays models may require manually rotating the cylinder between shots.

Double-action revolver = Pull the trigger, get one bang. Pull it again. One bang. And again. One bang. Repeat until you run out of whatever capacity your cylinder has. Reload and start again.

Burst mode = one trigger pull makes <insert round count that particular gun is set up to produce> bangs. Repeat until mag is empty, reload.

Full-auto = One trigger pull-then-hold goes bang over and over again until the trigger is released, the magazine runs dry, or a mechanical failure (perhaps you've shot so many rounds the barrel melts...) or similar issue stops the fire/eject/load/fire cycle.

Continuous fire = Gatling gun, the A-10 Warthog's GAU-8 Avenger, the M-134 Minigun (AKA "The gun Jesse Ventura's character uses in the movie Predator") etc - Hit the switch or turn the crank - it keeps firing until you stop turning the crank, release the switch, the ammo supply is gone, or there's some sort of mechanical failure, whichever comes first.
Luckily cranks still count as semi auto - you have to manually active the crank per shot. :)

Damn 4473 got me paranoid though, ever seen what happened in Red Dawn? I tell you, those forms are a very bad idea.

Edited for correct number.

Last edited:
Damn 4475 got me paranoid though, ever seen what happened in Red Dawn? I tell you, those forms are a very bad idea.
That's why you need to have an unfortunate boating accident not long after you take possession... It's a shame how poorly most firearms float. :)

80 percent lowers are kinda moot if you used your credit card to buy one. :censored:

Not really - In the eyes of the law, an 80% lower isn't a gun, and as such, it gets basically ignored in the commerce stream. It can BECOME a gun, but until it's finished, so what? A rubber band, piece of hollow tubing, and a nail *CAN* become a gun, too. How much do the feds (or anybody else) care about rubber bands, tubing, and nails? Until the milling work needed to complete one is done, an 80% lower is nothing but a funny-shaped paperweight. It's just a chunk of metal (or nowdays, plastic) with a slightly odd shape. So is the main body of a carburetor, or a brake caliper As such, they get roughly the same amount of scrutiny, and monitored about as closely as a six-pack of Dr. Pepper. And with the prices being what they are (Depends on exactly where you source it, but based on the small amount of looking I've done, the MONEY price is cheap - $51.99 (plus sales tax and and shipping, of course) will put one on your doorstep, and that's just grabbing the first result I got back on a google search for "AR 80% lower price" without bothering to do anything even a little like comparison shopping.

I am from Pakistan.
Own one12 gauge pump action shotgun made by daudsons armoury,2 tokarevs one is original Russian and other is local darra made from Soviet tank metal,one Enfield revolver 38 bore original England made,one double barrel shotgun local darra made, 1 fully automatic ak47 Soviet Union made,1 heckler and cock G3 fully aumomatic rifle used by pakistan army and was made by Pakistan ordinance factories under license by H&K Germany.

I am from Pakistan.
Own one12 gauge pump action shotgun made by daudsons armoury,2 tokarevs one is original Russian and other is local darra made from Soviet tank metal,one Enfield revolver 38 bore original England made,one double barrel shotgun local darra made, 1 fully automatic ak47 Soviet Union made,1 heckler and cock G3 fully aumomatic rifle used by pakistan army and was made by Pakistan ordinance factories under license by H&K Germany.
I heard about how all you need is an license in Pakistan to pretty much buy any kind of small arm under the sun. Granted, I also hear they're hard to get if you're not Pakistani.

Some of the arms readily available in Pakistan make America look second class in comparison. Over here we're mainly restricted to semi automatics only without licensing. :(

Back