• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Veterinarian here: ask me anything!

Doctor, help!
By accident, I swallowed a mouse. And now, when it moves in my stomach, it tickles me a lot inside. If I swallow a cat, will it solve the problem?
Simply place something strongly smelling under your tongue. Mice are neophilic, meaning they actively explore new objects and situations. she will investigate the new object that has appeared in her new home and climb her way back out!

Dogs can handle it fine, just takes a lot less, why I say, apply enough to see an affect, so long as there is enough to see altered behavior you got enough to protect the body from bad shit (Calcium Oxalate crystals is the main damage done in case of glycol)
Yup! And those crystals do havoc to any organ they form in, like tiny razor blades.

Best option is IV administration of alcohols—and we use sterile stuff. That has the most rapid bioavailability and also let’s us monitor kidney function and a whole lot of other useful things during treatment.
IV huh? That's wild, must be a very low concentration. Could only imagine how that feels goin through ones veins. Had an antibiotic drip pumped through me once and even that didn't feel great in my arm lol. How is the kidney function tracked though? Do you have to sample the urine produced via a catheter, or are there other markers to look for in the blood?

ähm u knew he is just a baby let him mature and wait till 1-1.5 years at least or for u in weeks: 52-78weeks
I would say that touching alone, as in non-sexual should start as early as possible. The dog should be comfortable being touched all over the body. Touch all feet, tug on legs, tail, etc. Grab nose gently, open mouth, etc. This includes genital areas, just touching as you would in any desensitization routine as I've described. Sexual stuff (stimulating, penetration, rubbing,etc) wait till the dog matures which will vary by breed but generally as you state 1-1.5 years is typical I agree.

I would say that touching alone, as in non-sexual should start as early as possible. The dog should be comfortable being touched all over the body. Touch all feet, tug on legs, tail, etc. Grab nose gently, open mouth, etc. This includes genital areas, just touching as you would in any desensitization routine as I've described. Sexual stuff (stimulating, penetration, rubbing,etc) wait till the dog matures which will vary by breed but generally as you state 1-1.5 years is typical I agree.
And shameless vet plug here—same general concept goes for desensitizing your pup to getting nails done (so important!), held for blood draws, teeth examined, you name it. If you get them comfortable with all these things, clinic visits will go smoothly and be even better.

Howdy zooville!

I work as a mixed animal veterinarian, and am willing to answer any and all animal health questions you may have to the best of my ability. Keep in mind that I’m only one person, and my medical opinion is just that—an opinion, however well informed it may be.

Anything you’re curious about?

Edit: feel free to Dm me if needed!
It's been a curious question of mine for a while: Why do many people get their pets neutered?

It's been a curious question of mine for a while: Why do many people get their pets neutered?
So there’s strong feelings on this from both pro and anti sides of the camp. The data is especially hard to gather here in the US, where so many of our animals are neutered as a matter of course.

I think it’s primarily a deep seated cultural narrative, and it comes down to being informed that neutering will be the decision equated with “doing what’s best for your pet.” In the US, there’s kind of a single minded fixation on sterilization as solving way more problems than it actually can.

For example, capturing large quantities of cats and sterilizing them all is lauded as the single best thing we can do to control overpopulation of them—in reality, though those cats are no longer part of the breeding pool, additional intact colonies simply move into the now empty niche, and the problem continues.

As another example, many folks in the US see an intact male dog as aggressive, unpredictable, and completely untrainable and the owner of said dog as irresponsible. Cultural peer pressure like this is very difficult to change or resist.

So there’s strong feelings on this from both pro and anti sides of the camp. The data is especially hard to gather here in the US, where so many of our animals are neutered as a matter of course.

I think it’s primarily a deep seated cultural narrative, and it comes down to being informed that neutering will be the decision equated with “doing what’s best for your pet.” In the US, there’s kind of a single minded fixation on sterilization as solving way more problems than it actually can.

For example, capturing large quantities of cats and sterilizing them all is lauded as the single best thing we can do to control overpopulation of them—in reality, though those cats are no longer part of the breeding pool, additional intact colonies simply move into the now empty niche, and the problem continues.

As another example, many folks in the US see an intact male dog as aggressive, unpredictable, and completely untrainable and the owner of said dog as irresponsible. Cultural peer pressure like this is very difficult to change or resist.
That's very interesting though sad to hear. Thanks ?

Not that is really connected, but looking here from Europe the practice of neutering dogs somehow has become a cultural tradition in the same way that small boys are circumcised. As with the animal it is done on speculative reasons and the offended cannot escape.

Hello! Apologies if this has already been asked, but I have some questions around STIs, transmissibility, and proper courses of action post-exposure. For common STIs such as Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, are these transmissible to potential male/female dog partners? I'd expect that they might be, but I'm not certain. If they are, I'd love to hear what your would recommend in a situation where I'm informed I've been exposed to an STI, and resultantly may have exposed a canine partner to one as well, and I worry about what that direct conversation with the vet might be like. I understand that part of keeping canine partners safe is to take precautions to make sure this doesn't happen, but I'd feel better knowing a safe plan of action for if it were to happen.

Edit: Also, if you have any recommendations for official resources to learn more about canine sexual health I'd be curious!

My understanding has been that you cannot get or give STDs from sex with a dog (to an extent). Some diseases are zoonotic, meaning transmissible to people, with dogs the most common ones being rabies and leptospirosis, but HIV and the less invasive ones you mentioned are not compatible with dog biology. However, if you were to share your dog with someone else shortly after doing the deed, then yes, there will be a risk of a contagion to the second person.

Don't accept my explanation as infallible though as I don't have nearly as much experience in the veterinary profession. I'll let @Deagle113 set the record straight and correct what I'm sure was a statement full of inaccuracies!

Hello! Apologies if this has already been asked, but I have some questions around STIs, transmissibility, and proper courses of action post-exposure. For common STIs such as Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, are these transmissible to potential male/female dog partners? I'd expect that they might be, but I'm not certain. If they are, I'd love to hear what your would recommend in a situation where I'm informed I've been exposed to an STI, and resultantly may have exposed a canine partner to one as well, and I worry about what that direct conversation with the vet might be like. I understand that part of keeping canine partners safe is to take precautions to make sure this doesn't happen, but I'd feel better knowing a safe plan of action for if it were to happen.

Edit: Also, if you have any recommendations for official resources to learn more about canine sexual health I'd be curious!
Not that I know off being exposed - but is there sexual diseases amongst cows and sows which can infect me ?

Hello! Apologies if this has already been asked, but I have some questions around STIs, transmissibility, and proper courses of action post-exposure. For common STIs such as Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, are these transmissible to potential male/female dog partners?
Like @GAThrawn mentioned, to our current veterinary scientific knowledge, no common human venereally transmitted diseases can infect dogs. Score for Inter species intimacy! ❤️

Gonorrhea is not contagious from people to dogs or the other way around—evolutionarily, it actually crossed over to humans from cattle, and now the bacteria is firmly species specific to humans alone.

To my knowledge, there has been no reported evidence in literature, or anecdotally, of transmission or even sub clinical infection in canines—the bacteria can’t even find the correct receptors to begin infection, and grows on mucous membranes (inside the urethra, for example) rather than on the surface of the penis.

For Chlamydia, dogs can still get a disease caused by the intra-cellular bacteria (of which there are at least 14 species) but it is primarily respiratory, caught from birds, and caused by Chlamydia psittaci. The human etiology of venereally transmitted chlamydia is Chlamydia trachomatis—which again is firmly species specific.

The sharing situation bears mentioning—theoretically you could transmit something like Gonorrhea with multiple human partners in the same dog, but that’s basically human to human transition with an extra step.

Chlamydia is a fascinating bacteria that causes a whole range of sometimes nasty disease in many species of animals, but you don’t have to worry about sexual contact!

The AKC and their allied organizations put out some splendid resources on all sorts of aspects of canine reproduction. ❤️ I read mostly individual scientific papers on specific topics which won’t be the general information you’re looking for. (Unless it is, and I can send it along)

For veterinary specific stuff, add “theriogenology” to your search terms (the official science name for the study of animal reproduction)

Not that I know of being exposed - but is there sexual diseases amongst cows and sows which can infect me ?
Bovines are the same species specific advice for dogs. None currently known! (Tritrichomonas, for example, is also two different species)

There are no major swine sexually transmitted diseases to humans, not counting Brucellosis (about which a lot of good info alresdy exists on this forum).

Pigs on the other hand are emerging models for many human sexually transmitted diseases in research, including Chlamydia, due to their anatomical and physiologic similarities (though their vaginal pH is a whole lot higher than a human). I don’t think this research is far enough along to answer the transmission back to humans question, but regardless you’d have to have a source of the infection in yourself or someone else to initially start things.

Bovines are the same species specific advice for dogs. None currently known! (Tritrichomonas, for example, is also two different species)

There are no major swine sexually transmitted diseases to humans, not counting Brucellosis (about which a lot of good info alresdy exists on this forum).

Pigs on the other hand are emerging models for many human sexually transmitted diseases in research, including Chlamydia, due to their anatomical and physiologic similarities (though their vaginal pH is a whole lot higher than a human). I don’t think this research is far enough along to answer the transmission back to humans question, but regardless you’d have to have a source of the infection in yourself or someone else to initially start things.
True. If neither I nor the sow / cow / human is infected we can’t harm each other.
Could I harm the sow if I had Chlamydia ?
When I was young, a ‘boar-man’ was asked to bring a boar when a sow was in heat. Well, if possible I was on her in the evening before the boar came and mated her ?
A wonderful sight for me ?
I guess he could carry an infection around. Could he infect a sow and then me ?

As far as I know Chlamydia trachomatis is responsible for serious STI among koalas.

@Deagle113
Hello,
I would like to benefit your knowledge and experience about cold pressed Virgin coconut oil as lubrifiant for taking a dock cock anally ?
I read a lot about water based lub and j-lub only and the no oil policy and only a little few on the advantage of coconut oil (comestible and great benefit for dogs, neutral for human).

What do you think about it?

I adopted a young puppy (Golden) and want to be as prepared as possible when and if the time will come?

Thanks a lot for your reply?

Can you get sick or get parasites from kissing your canine friend on the mouth, were talking deep kissing tongues lashing and all that. I have never gotten sick from it, but my Room mate said you can get sick doing this.

@Deagle113
Hello,
I would like to benefit your knowledge and experience about cold pressed Virgin coconut oil as lubrifiant for taking a dock cock anally ?
I read a lot about water based lub and j-lub only and the no oil policy and only a little few on the advantage of coconut oil (comestible and great benefit for dogs, neutral for human).

I adopted a young puppy (Golden) and want to be as prepared as possible when and if the time will come?

I believe organic oil based anything is not good for any kind of sexual penetration. There are so many reasons including the fact that especially organic oils in the presence of moisture will eventually turn rancid and microbes will begin living in it breaking it down for nutrients as they multiply. Combine that with the body not being effective at washing / flushing them away via normal biological processes. Nothing you want in your or your partner's body.

Stick with water based lubes designed for such things. The body will flush these out quickly and they are designed to do just that.

Can you get sick or get parasites from kissing your canine friend on the mouth, were talking deep kissing tongues lashing and all that. I have never gotten sick from it, but my Room mate said you can get sick doing this.
I don't believe there is anything specific to watch out for unless your dog partner was just into something nasty out in the yard or woods prior to your activities. That being said, just like humans, mouths are full of all kinds of bacteria and such, so some teeth brushing afterwards is probably a good practice.

I believe organic oil based anything is not good for any kind of sexual penetration. There are so many reasons including the fact that especially organic oils in the presence of moisture will eventually turn rancid and microbes will begin living in it breaking it down for nutrients as they multiply. Combine that with the body not being effective at washing / flushing them away via normal biological processes. Nothing you want in your or your partner's body.

Stick with water based lubes designed for such things. The body will flush these out quickly and they are designed to do just that.
Thanks for your reply Erphy

@Deagle113
Hello,

There’s not a lot of research about the use of coconut oil when it comes to canines, especially on delicate mucous membranes. Like @erphy mentioned, my biggest issue with it is potential bacterial contamination within the container itself. J lube is cheaper and easier to use.

Provided you are immunocompetent, you should be perfectly fine kissing however deeply you want. There are no parasites that I am aware of passed orally from dogs to humans, and the few bacterial culprits for causing issues in humans are primarily in severely immunocompromised individuals. Other than the occasional nastiness dogs can sometime get into.
Canine saliva contains lysozyme, which is an antibacterial substance which humans don’t have, one of the reasons why we can’t eat rotten meat with very few Ill effects.

In fact, Humans and dogs share a whole lot of the beneficial bacterial microbiome with each other—you already contain dog specific bacteria in and on you if living in close proximity to one, and vice versa!

Provided you are immunocompetent, you should be perfectly fine kissing however deeply you want. There are no parasites that I am aware of passed orally from dogs to humans, and the few bacterial culprits for causing issues in humans are primarily in severely immunocompromised individuals. Other than the occasional nastiness dogs can sometime get into.
Canine saliva contains lysozyme, which is an antibacterial substance which humans don’t have, one of the reasons why we can’t eat rotten meat with very few Ill effects.

In fact, Humans and dogs share a whole lot of the beneficial bacterial microbiome with each other—you already contain dog specific bacteria in and on you if living in close proximity to one, and vice versa!
Thank You

There’s not a lot of research about the use of coconut oil when it comes to canines, especially on delicate mucous membranes. Like @erphy mentioned, my biggest issue with it is potential bacterial contamination within the container itself. J lube is cheaper and easier to use.
Thank you??

I don’t know much about canine bacteria but humans do have lysozyme !
An example - high concentration in tears.

Back