Vets and Suspision

Another good argument is that you want the puppy to reach full maturity first more recent thinking is that pups should have puberty so the secondary muscle and organ development occurs with their full hormones available to help. This reduces long term age issues. Many vets understand that spay before two years old isn't best practice

Well, but don't do that if you're not the only one having access to your dog - Family might be audacious enough to spay her then as a gift to you later

I just say that I’m keeping him intact so he matures properly and I may breed him in the future. Beyond that, it’s quite frankly none of their damn business. The whole “bob barker, spay and neuter your dog” movement is annoying and misguided. Everybody is so quick to push for sterilization, yet they have no idea what it truly does to the animal. They just parrot back the same old “He’ll bE aGgReSsIvE/uNwAnTeD pUpPiEs” bullshit. Just remember that you’re paying the vet for their services. If they have an issue, stare down their nose at you, or keep trying to sell an unnecessary surgery; take your business elsewhere.
Well said.

I just say that I’m keeping him intact so he matures properly and I may breed him in the future. Beyond that, it’s quite frankly none of their damn business. The whole “bob barker, spay and neuter your dog” movement is annoying and misguided. Everybody is so quick to push for sterilization, yet they have no idea what it truly does to the animal. They just parrot back the same old “He’ll bE aGgReSsIvE/uNwAnTeD pUpPiEs” bullshit. Just remember that you’re paying the vet for their services. If they have an issue, stare down their nose at you, or keep trying to sell an unnecessary surgery; take your business elsewhere.
You can keep your animal intact if you want I work in animal rescue tho surprise unwanted puppies come from leaving animal intact. Please be responsible with your dog it's very heart breaking when my people have to take in litter after litter after litter a lot of times with the mom because people don't watch their dogs and frankly a lot of people don't use common sense either.

You can keep your animal intact if you want I work in animal rescue tho surprise unwanted puppies come from leaving animal intact. Please be responsible with your dog it's very heart breaking when my people have to take in litter after litter after litter a lot of times with the mom because people don't watch their dogs and frankly a lot of people don't use common sense either.
I don’t really know what to say to that. I get where you’re coming from but I’ve had my dog uncut for 5+ years without an issue. It’s all about responsibility and supervision. Not every dog owner is good at that, but that shouldn’t mean we need to be pressured into putting our dogs under the knife.

One thing to realize in respect to what @Cat_lover7 said is that male dogs don't bear puppies. Never ever. The idea to fix an overpopulation of dogs by castrating male dogs is wrong from the start. It may be easier to castrate a male dog than a female dog and some people think this would be a good reason to castrate males, but it is not. It's easier, but you don't get the desired effect. Castrating a male does not decrease the puppy-bearing potential in a population of dogs. At best you decrease the likelihood that the potential gets used by a teeny-weeny bit. But if a hundred castrated males don't mate with a female, she can still become pregnant because the one male you couldn't castrate mates with her. It's exactly the exceptional intact male that will seek her out. If you would have castrated the bitch, you could have a hundred and one intact males interact with her and not get puppies.

Mind that I'm not saying that we should castrate bitches.
I'm just saying that castrating males is very ineffective.

It's not that hard to prevent bitches from becoming pregnant without castrating them, because they are only in heat for a small part of the year. It's only this small part of the year that you have to be alert and take measures to prevent matings. Of course owners of male dogs should be cooperative and not let their dog mount a female that is not supposed to get pregnant – everyone should act responsibly – but the solution is really very much on the side of the female dog and her humans respectively.

Spaying or neutering should never be done without a medical reason to do so simply not mixing male and female animals together in population is a simple way to control the population issue. Mostly my vet would ask once say, "O.K." and leave it at that.

I explain it as basically I want a healthy, happy dog. Period. I don't have the time, the will or the patience to worry about a "diet" for a dog. It's a simple fact. "Fixed" animals have ZERO to live for beyond food. When you take the natural hormones out of the equation, the entire focus of their life becomes food. Ever notice that the ONLY time you will ever see a 30 lb cat is when it's spayed or neutered? There is a reason for that. Same for dogs of any breed. The ONLY animals you need to worry about being over-weight are "fixed" animals. It's just trading one problem for another.

Maybe the spay and neuter campaign should have all along been "don't abandon animals, you pathetic fucks". Where else does the unrestrained and uncontrolled breeding of animals largely come from if not from irresponsible pet owners and compounded by abandoned animals?

For every single animal I have ever had, I LITERALLY supply unlimited food.....HUGE food bowls, always full and what happens EVERY time, ALL the time is the animal eats when it's hungry and NEVER any other time, or excessively. EVER. Try it yourselves and see.

Don't try that. Some dogs, especially labs, have a genetic defect that will let them have appetite no matter how much they ate. And a non-spayed malamute girl of another zoo once had did eat a whole bag of dog food when she managed to get to it unsupervised - resulting in a twisted stomach after moving then and her death despite emergency surgery.

In my ownership experience my intact dogs never had weight problems while some of neutered did, as well as greater health problems, comparatively.

Let's be clear, It's NEVER not monitored and thus far I've never had an issue. That being said, I DO pay attention, this isn't something I just decide to do when they are 4 years old, I start on day one, and I act according to what I see. I'm pretty aware of what my dogs are doing from puppy to grave. I'm pretty aware of how much food is available to them at any given point in time. More, I probably over-stated the point somewhat as well......By unlimited, I am not implying I just cut the fuckin bag open and let them go to town, I mean I fill the bowl up and it basically stays filled up, lol. Largely because it goes down at an acceptable rate. What I SHOULD have said is that I give them WAY more food than they can eat on a daily basis and if there are no issues with that, it continues on that way. Every dog IS an individual personality though so there are most certainly exceptions to what I said, for probably an infinite number of reasons, but I've had no issues in my 40+ years of being a dog owner.

Well, neutering or spaying a dog has disadvantages health-wise. You can absolutely argue from that standpoint. Can't find the pamphlet right now though.

That's fair. And I feel the same. I offered the statement because that's exactly what I say to the Vet when they ask about it, and, that's exactly how I say it. I have never been questioned further about it by any Vet. I have been asked a time or 2 about overall eating habits, but, if so, they are talking about eating, not fucking, which seems to be the general idea. In any case, works for me.

there is a song called bob barker on the triump the insult comic dog's album

Just say no, or if you feel uncomfortable saying no without a reason, say you think about going to shows.

You're not committing to going to shows and yet you have a good reason not to snip snip

When my vet asked me, I simply said tht I don't really believe in it and that I'm willing to be a responsible owner so that she doesn't need to have a surgery for my convenience. They just kind of nodded and it never came up again. When asked by normal non-vet friends, I've said similar and that I would rather their joints be healthy and that usually works.

The anti-Veterinarian sentiment here is disturbing. You think Veterinarians take on massive student debt, a decade + schooling, long work days under stressful situations all while getting paid less than a human doc if they don't love animals?

They don't push spays and neuters for selfish desire. They do it as a matter of health. It's a GENERAL recommendation because the GENERAL public is uneducated on why it can be important and/or don't care for their animals in such a way that would mitigate the enhanced risks associated with remaining intact (both behavioral and health related).

On the contrary, since we know that spayed and neutered dogs tend to live longer than intact dogs, I'd argue it's more evil to keep your dog intact just so you can fuck them.

For every single animal I have ever had, I LITERALLY supply unlimited food.....HUGE food bowls, always full and what happens EVERY time, ALL the time is the animal eats when it's hungry and NEVER any other time, or excessively. EVER. Try it yourselves and see.

Entirely depends on the dog. My dog would literally eat herself to death and damned near has when having access to a food bag that was accidentally left open.

Entirely depends on the dog. My dog would literally eat herself to death and damned near has when having access to a food bag that was accidentally left open.
The statement was further clarified in later posts which are directly below the one you quoted.

I'm the opposite I took my dog to the vet to get collected from a few time my vet and vet nurse both female collect him no gloves and smirks with comments on how big he is

I love this site....so grateful for it.
I've a question: I'm adopting a puppy girl soon, she's 5 weeks old. I'm concerned about explaining to a vet why I will not want to spay. Any ideas. I know it's a red flag for them. I don't believe in it, ethically.

But what about when she's older? Vets know when something has happened. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!
Charlie
Personally I would just say you're not in favour of it, or that you may want to breed in the future - other than that, you could always just say you'll look in to it another time.

At the end of the day, your paying for a service. If you don't wish to have your lover spayed or neutered, that's entirely your prerogative. No one can force you to do so, or insist on it. If they do, leave and don't return. There are plenty more vets who will understand and not pursue the issue. I do understand that it is part of a vets remit to talk about these things and encourage responsible ownership. They may not understand however, that as Zoo's, our level of care and attention, likely exceeds that of your average 'pet owner'. But that is another issue entirely.

Slightly different question, can a vet suspect a male dog of mounting a human. Any damage to the dog parts ? No human penetration of dog. Other way, dog penetration of human.
Can you tell whether a human male is a virgin by looking down there?

Unless your ass is made of metal, there's no significant physical difference between fucking a bitch and fucking a human.
Being careful when handling a canine's sensitive erection is a separate matter.

If the dog is over-randy around other humans that's a not-uncommon behavioral matter (and bad training) but unlikely to be "suspicious".

Depends of the places you going, in México, a lot of vets suggest it but don't think its because its gonna be your lover haha

I think as a zoo it's going to be the default 'go to' assumption, a guilty conscience sort of thing. When in reality it's rarely the first conclusion people come to.

They probably would know that she had sex if the vet examined her down deep in there. But I doubt they would be able to tell whether it was a dog or you. Unless she is full of your cum.

Even then - none of their interest. Just say that you got male dogs as well and topic is done.
No veterinary has time to analyze the type of sperm or anything like that. They mostly wouldn't do it in-house anyway but send it to a laboratory.

What could give them a hint is her behavior if they check her vulva on inflammations as example, but even then they will in 99,9% of the time not really combine 1 & 1. And if they do, then they mostly don't talk about it.

There's no profit to generate for them by blaming pet owners of obviously well-cared animals with guessed constellations that they can't prove. After all you are their client, their money bag, not your dog (so harsh this might sound from a zoo's perspective).

Veterinaries can suggest the customer (= you) things, but if they keep annoying the customer with procedures that he/she declines, then they might quickly loose that customer. It's that easy. And spaying / neutering has side effects. Quite a lot, to be honest. And some of them are not even told or mentioned by medical books, neither deeply analyzed due to no "problem", more of a "nuisance".

This is enough for anyone who wants to not spay / neuter their pets to decline it. Just tell a veterinary, that you had dogs in the past which lost their appetite mostly, which got uncontrollable fur growth and irregular fur change, means: the fur sticks for long time spans & regrows round the year and it can make combing a big mess (additionally to the increased growth).

Incontinence can occur, hormonal imbalances with side effects to the organs, there are dozens of side effects which most vets just wave aside as they are not the ones that have to care for that dog afterwards (but can make money from the future medical problems..).

There are serious illnesses which might indicate the need for spaying / neutering. Like malign tumors. But that is the absolute exception compared to "useless side effect rich" recommendations through veterinaries of spaying / neutering. Which only fulfill the delegation of responsibility aka comfortable thoughtlessness after all.

Addendum: I know well that most veterinaries are not ignorant to animals health or well-being. Else most of them wouldn't have selected their job, aside the cash lovers. But they suffer under the same problem as human doctors they see permanent sadness, too much worse situations. Health problems they can't cure.

So they have to keep a emotional distance to their "customers pets", same as human doctors have, to not feel burdened and basically self-depressed into a state where they can't fulfill their job anymore. And this results forcibly in a specific distance in thought and as such carelessness - they just can't follow each indication of unusual aspect in the animals, as those are still individuals.

There's not much reason to fear visits on a veterinary, just because your dog gets to enjoy sexual experiences with you. Just be normal and don't mention those experiences in any way, that would highly probably generate problems.

they can - there are various options - like a vasectomy for male dogs. Or hormone injections for bitches - condoms are not an option. Or you can separate dogs when a female is in heat, but that might lead to pregnancies if you forget to lock a door or something.

Easiest(!) way is to just separate the dogs for the few days that she is able to get impregnated. And maybe 2-4 days beforehand due to the survival of sperm in a female dog. Even this time span is after she showed symptoms of the heat for days, recognizable for anyone watching her or the ground which she might as well lick to not leave trails, very easy to recognize and quite good for precise timing.

All other ways are quite delegating of the responsibility unto the animals or some sort of preventive "thing". To separate them continuously from the first heat on for the few important days is no real problem. Walking a female dog in heat through dog parks mustn'd be, because you will cause irritation under them, but aside from that: you as the owner are responsible and everyone is able to prevent unwanted impregnation without chemical side-effect rich ways.

Addendum: There are chemical ways, depending on your country, which have a similar result as the "pill after" for human females. But those come with partly harsh side effects and are not available everywhere. Also they need to be used in a specific time span after copulation with the male dog, so.. I personally would not suggest trying such a solution.

If you want an easy way to prevent impregnation and can not prevent physical contact between intact male dogs and the female dog in heat, then I would suggest an after-surgical lick/bite protective lower body suit / sleeve for her in the time of possible contact. One of those robustly made and with closed back part (quite a few are open, be careful!) is strong enough to physically prevent copulation.. (but please take it off after you are back and you can watch both dogs again.. as it prevents the hygienic self-cleaning process of the female dog and could cause urinary tract infections worn over longer time).

Last edited:
Back