Tail or no tail?

What we are basing our choice on a body mod now? How rude! Simply put i love all breeds no matter what. A poor pup cant help what some idiot did to it. Just as I can't help the fact my parent's couldn't stand up and say no to some stupid tradition called circumcision because of their deep sda roots and based on this unkind, unnecessary alteration to your most personal bits some folks will have nothing to do with you they will shun you and say eww that's ugly, looks weird, etc.. etc.. Love the dog for its inner personality and ability to make you feel all warm and cozy all over when it excepts you no matter what and wiggles its way into your heart, sticks it cold nose in the palm of your hand, comes up and gives you friendly nuzzles, and licks, etc.. etc.. all of the cool things a dog will do that says, " i call you friend now and except you no matter what and will do anything you ask of me because you are my friend now and forever and I would do anything for you." A dog will love unconditionally as we all should no matter if they have met you for the first time our have been with you forever, I tend to give all dogs this same consideration if they go out of their way to make friends with me. Please never base love on pointless things. Besides I get pissed at people who do unnatural things to their animals and I consider it cruelty and messing with the natural order. I'll take any dog that takes me no matter what.

Sorry if I got on a soapbox there but I am getting fed up with people basing their love, acceptance, and choices on truly superficial things in so many instances before taking a truly deeper look. Many folks do this with every aspect of life. Be willing to go deeper people and no I am not talking in a sexual fashion.

Last edited:
Just imagine docking a Golden Retrievers tail or ears and you can imagine the mental gymnastics being done to justify it on certain other breeds. If its "benificial" for one breed, how is it not for all of them? It is purely for appearance reasons. If thats the case why dont we declaw dogs at birth? Maybe remove those pesky canines as well. They dont need em to chew dog food amirite? Lets create the perfect soft genderless fur ball baby to have in our home.

Just imagine docking a Golden Retrievers tail or ears and you can imagine the mental gymnastics being done to justify it on certain other breeds. If its "benificial" for one breed, how is it not for all of them? It is purely for appearance reasons. If thats the case why dont we declaw dogs at birth? Maybe remove those pesky canines as well. They dont need em to chew dog food amirite? Lets create the perfect soft genderless fur ball baby to have in our home.
Aww you make some real good points. I have thought the same things every time I see any of the poor butchered breeds. Indeed how do you rationalize removing things that nature intended that all dogs have had since their inception? They are not simply there for no reason. humans continue to prove they truly have no clue and really can't improve on what nature does.

My Doberman Was Cut when i Adopted him from a Dog-Shelter.
He's Looking Dangerous to many People, But he's a real smart Sweetheart.
I didn't mind it, it was love on first sight.

I love ‘em all, but I must admit that it’s very convenient when a female k9 has a docked tail. That being said, my current love has a nice long tail.😍

Had a good friend that had a docked boxer for a short time.

He always commented on how unconfortable was "eating him back there" with the stub hitting his nose hard at every move 😆

The idiotic EU banned veterinarians from doing this operation, but a lot of vets do it(y), because it's much better than having the owner cut it off at home with kitchen scissors. :rolleyes:
Another example of when laws are created based on stupid animalprotectors.(n)
It's not idiotic EU. It's idiotic "owners" from third-world countries mutilating their dogs for no rational reason. Do you really want to defend this?

It's not idiotic EU. It's idiotic "owners" from third-world countries mutilating their dogs for no rational reason. Do you really want to defend this?
133262843_17493c7531_z.jpg

And you:
https://www.zoovilleforum.net/members/doggygirl.3918/

133262843_17493c7531_z.jpg

Last edited:
Although I find dobermans to be pretty hot, I hate that it's not their natural look and they don't come with short tails by default. I'd not chop one up if I had one.
Dobermanns and Rottweilers both originally had a natural short tail.

In the Rottweiler in particular the whole reason tail docking was mandated in the breed standard was due to the prevalence of naturally short tailed dogs (congenital stub tail it was called) and the variation in the length of those short tails, so docking was introduced to make all the dogs look the same. By the time tail docking was outlawed in Germany it was evident that the home country of the Rottweiler had failed to maintain the congenital stub tail trait so all their dogs had long tails, faced with this the parent breed club decreed that all Rottweilers must now have a tail that reaches around the area of the hock.

You may need to look hard but the Rottweilers and Dobermanns with naturally short tails are still out there, you can often pick the dogs born with a short tail by the little wisp of hair at the tip.

Oh full tail always, without question. Save for maybe a handful of different breeds, that is the only dealbreaker when it comes to if I would own the dog or not. I would never own a dog that didn’t have a full tail. The only exception is if it got amputated after I got it, in an accident or a necessary medical procedure, of course I wouldn’t get rid of my dog just because it lost its tail. For one I don’t support unnecessary shit like that so why would I want to own something that I would never support. The main reason though is that there’s just way to much communication in a tail to go without it. Plus I just love tails, dogs look weird without them and I don’t want a butthole in my face all the time. :husky_laughing:

I don't like "modding" my animals.

I think certain dog breeds (like Rottweilers) are more beautiful with a short/cut tail, but I would not chop it off. Dogs use their tails for communication and play. I'd rather keep them.

Tails, specially fluffy ones, that's how wolves evolved, and how dogs should look too. I would never cut a dog tail, except it's for a medical reason (though I know some breads tend to get hurt very easily like boxers, and they bleed like hell, so they do it as a prevention).

Even if it's a 'natural' occurrence, like Australian Shepherds with bob tails, I always prefer the ones with a full length fluffy tail. :husky_love:

I love the little nubbins and shorter tails on a lot of breeds. I hate the long skinny powerful tails. Great Danes can leave a welt and constantly break their own tails

Back