• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

General Homesteading thread

That is because if you go all-in, you won't do anything else, ever.

This is because it is very time consuming.

My vacations consist in cutting off from the world and going full hermit while my family is away having regular fun. Running the whole farm is doable but that means you will spend ALL day tending the harvest and animals, maintaining equipment, and running your food storage program. You will need to store food for the winter, you know.

The sad part is that my deployment is seriously engineered, with proper irrigation and anti-weed blankets that keep the harvest areas free from undesirable plants... and it still takes so much fucking time.

I also have my own electric power production, but I consider it more of a luxury. You can do without it in a pitch, but it is so much easier to make homesteading work if you have some power for your freezers.

That's why I think talking to people and self education about it is so important because it's obviously not for everyone to go all in even though the skills accumulated through continued pursuit of the knowledge are infinitely valuable and are useful in some degree for almost every style of living.

Books I find extremely helpful and go back to re read often.
1) Mini Farming; self-sufficiency on a 1/4 acre Brett L. Markham

2) The Urban Farmer: Growing food for profit on leased and borrowed land Curtis Stone

3) Teaming With Series: 1. Fungi 2. Microbes 3. Nutrients 4. Bacteria Jeff Lowenfels

4) Marijuana Horticulture: the Indoor/Outdoor MEDICAL Growers Bible Jorge Cervantes.
i have my new reading list 1-3 at least.

Same concept, the power is a perc, not a vital thing. but to tempt any useful out side people they seem to think you'll die with out electricity

Power makes life hell of a lot easier, I got things set up to allow some more free time winter since no work can be done land wise, good sized feed bunk just needs to be charged up in the morning and water topped up. Auto waterer is going to be summers goal and slew of other stuff
Homesteads that make their own power are definitely making a mass appeal trend on social media. I was impressed as hell with methane gas projects. Having your own power adds a sense of ease in adjustment to the lifestyle change I think. Adds an overly inflated sense of comfort as well to working all day long for yourself that is probably going to trick some folks into thinking it isn't mostly consistent hard work

I'd be just fine starting off with a well pump or water source, and wood stove capable of heating my primary domicile then building up from there.

Last edited:
Homesteads that make their own power are definitely making a mass appeal trend on social media. I was impressed as hell with methane gas projects. Having your own power adds a sense of ease in adjustment to the lifestyle change I think. Adds an overly inflated sense of comfort as well to working all day long for yourself that is probably going to trick some folks into thinking it isn't mostly consistent hard work

I'd be just fine starting off with a well pump or water source, and wood stove capable of heating my primary domicile then building up from there.
Simple option that negates need for power off the bat with a well is a bubble pump system, made with an old air compressor and simple wind turbine, use this to pump to an elevated tank, 2.33 feet per psi head, so 10 foot water tower will give you plenty for an ok shower and tap pressure. All powered by gravity.

Simple option that negates need for power off the bat with a well is a bubble pump system, made with an old air compressor and simple wind turbine, use this to pump to an elevated tank, 2.33 feet per psi head, so 10 foot water tower will give you plenty for an ok shower and tap pressure. All powered by gravity.
Gotta love it

Bubble pumps, they're not fast, not powerful, not efficient, but they are dead simple, reliable and can be left running so long as some thing can move air, so have a good sized tank.

But I should mention they use high volumes of air, so you do need some form of water treatment, or the old fashioned reciprocating deep well pump, plus side you can make one out of basic materials, such as marbles pvc and leather for the piston ring, but rubber is better for long term.

Deep well pumps have few enough parts and are common place enough to where I'd relent and get something fabricated with longevity in mind and under warranty.

But you're absolutely correct the general design is quite simple. Honestly simple and smart is the best way to do it. Not discounting the complexity of forward thinking to minimize wear and tear on the homesteaders body but hopefully everyone's goal is to work only as hard as necessary and as intelligently as possible.[/QUOTE]

All so great way to stir and aerate your pond / tank

One of my old jobs was well pump servicing and filtration system design and installations, I can tell you from experience, that most do indeed work very good and are reliable, but can be power hungry and really suck when the time comes to pull them from the well!

Last edited:

All so great way to stir and aerate your pond / tank

One of my old jobs was well pump servicing and filtration system design and installations, I can tell you from experience, that most do indeed work very good and are reliable, but can be power hungry and really suck when the time comes to pull them from the well!
excuse my laziness - would a bubble pump work as well as, better than, a ram pump?

excuse my laziness - would a bubble pump work as well as, better than, a ram pump?
they both use different principles and each has their draw backs and benefits, ram pumps you need head pressure, but they can move more volume, bubble pumps move less but only need compressed air and only enough to force it in the pipe.

Bubble, easiest to slap together with minimal stuff, ram pump needs some infrastructure and more complicated

they both use different principles and each has their draw backs and benefits, ram pumps you need head pressure, but they can move more volume, bubble pumps move less but only need compressed air and only enough to force it in the pipe.

Bubble, easiest to slap together with minimal stuff, ram pump needs some infrastructure and more complicated
Nice vids cool stuff!!

And garlic. Slave labor in prisons to be peeling it by hand and no knives .
I buy US or Mexican produce. Unless I need uncommon ingredients. Preferably I go to the farmers market when its in season because Maryland weather is TEMPERAMENTAL I don't think spring actually sprungs until late March/April here usually.

Deep well pumps have few enough parts and are common place enough to where I'd relent and get something fabricated with longevity in mind and under warranty.

But you're absolutely correct the general design is quite simple. Honestly simple and smart is the best way to do it. Not discounting the complexity of forward thinking to minimize wear and tear on the homesteaders body but hopefully everyone's goal is to work only as hard as necessary and as intelligently as possible.
[/QUOTE]
For most. It’s not as easy here. That’s one thing people need to consider. Mine is 400 feed down to the table and straight through lime stone. Most places here require bore holes. Once it’s done that’s it. However, at a cost of 12gs

For most. It’s not as easy here. That’s one thing people need to consider. Mine is 400 feed down to the table and straight through lime stone. Most places here require bore holes. Once it’s done that’s it. However, at a cost of 12gs
[/QUOTE]
It's definitely easier up here. Water is invaluable. Probably best to utilize as much viable passive collection as possible. But I'm unfamiliar with your temperate zone and the composition of the soil in the geology of your area.

Something to consider if I move away from here for certain tho.

In case anyone else was ignorant of the name behind these methods.

The Polyface Farm method, developed by Joel Salatin, is a method of farming that aims to "mimic nature” rather than fight against it, focusing on sustainable and organic farming practices. This method is characterized by its commitment to keeping the environment as close to its natural state as possible.

This is accomplished through a number of strategies:

1. Diversification: Instead of focusing on one specific crop or animal, the Polyface Farm method encourages farming a variety of plants and animals. This leads to a more balanced ecosystem and reduces the risk of catastrophic loss due to disease or pests.

2. Rotation: Salatin's method promotes frequent rotation of animals and crops. For instance, cows are moved to fresh pasture often, which naturally spreads their manure and provides better nutrient distribution. Chickens follow the cows, eating leftover grains from the cow manure and further fertilizing the soil. This strategy reduces the need for artificial fertilizers and promotes richer, healthier soil.

3. Local consumption: The Polyface Farm method strongly believes in serving local markets. Salatin argues that food should not travel long distances and instead should be consumed as close as possible to where it is grown.

4. Grass-fed animals: Salatin argues that animals should be fed food that is natural to their diet. For instance, cows are ruminant animals designed to eat grass, so Salatin feeds his cows primarily on grass rather than grain.

5. Chemical-free farming: Salatin's method rejects the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, seeking to work with nature rather than against it.

These methods work together to create a farming system that is more sustainable and beneficial to both the environment and the local community.

Evidence of the harmful effects of tilling.

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_151811.jpg
    IMG_20240223_151811.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240223_151837.jpg
    IMG_20240223_151837.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240223_151848.jpg
    IMG_20240223_151848.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240223_151900.jpg
    IMG_20240223_151900.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240223_151915.jpg
    IMG_20240223_151915.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
You left out one of the largest benefits of rotational grazing, parasite control, by practicing proper rotational grazing you can have a severe adverse affect on the life cycle of most worms, this in combination with holding live stock off grass that has dew on it and developing and using more pest resistant livestock can reduce and even eliminate the need for artificial wormers.

A woman I dated introduced me to black walnut husks as a wormer substitute, peel them and grind them and powder it on feed, it actually works well in conjunction with rotational grazing as a near total pest control solution.

You left out one of the largest benefits of rotational grazing, parasite control, by practicing proper rotational grazing you can have a severe adverse affect on the life cycle of most worms, this in combination with holding live stock off grass that has dew on it and developing and using more pest resistant livestock can reduce and even eliminate the need for artificial wormers.

A woman I dated introduced me to black walnut husks as a wormer substitute, peel them and grind them and powder it on feed, it actually works well in conjunction with rotational grazing as a near total pest control solution.
It was just a brief summary on general techniques in this specific method but please keep the facts coming we love that s***

It is very impressive how far you can get just by acknowledging and trying to take care of the soil life web because it will interdepend on the plant and livestock life webs as well. They all interdepend which sounds like new age hippie bs but it's literally how nature works

After watching a horse who had grazed under a black walnut (just grazed under it, not ate anything of it) literally take a step and collapse screaming after she literally picked up her foot and left her hoof sitting in the previous footprint, I'd trust that concept just about as far as I can toss the empire state building one-handed. (the horse was put down minutes later - she had no realistic chance of recovery without insane amounts of money for months, if not years, of intensive care and treatment to try to prevent infection from taking her out during the time the hoof wouldneed to regrow) Juglone (the chemical involved) is so bad for horses that you can't even stand one on shavings contaminated by (depending on which study you prefer) about 3-5% percent by weight of black walnut "scrap" - sawdust, leaves, bark, hulls, etc - for more than a few minutes without expecting nasty results.

Don't take my word for it, though - A quick google/bing/DDG for "black walnut toxicity horse" will turn up more material than you can hope to read in a lifetime on the subject - all of it agreeing that it's BAD NEWS for horses. The question among the experts isn't "IF" it's bad, it's "just exactly how bad is it?" The answer, unfortunately, is "anywhere from pretty bad to absolutely devestating".

After watching a horse who had grazed under a black walnut (just grazed under it, not ate anything of it) literally take a step and collapse screaming after she literally picked up her foot and left her hoof sitting in the previous footprint, I'd trust that concept just about as far as I can toss the empire state building one-handed. (the horse was put down minutes later - she had no realistic chance of recovery without insane amounts of money for months, if not years, of intensive care and treatment to try to prevent infection from taking her out during the time the hoof wouldneed to regrow) Juglone (the chemical involved) is so bad for horses that you can't even stand one on shavings contaminated by (depending on which study you prefer) about 3-5% percent by weight of black walnut "scrap" - sawdust, leaves, bark, hulls, etc - for more than a few minutes without expecting nasty results.

Don't take my word for it, though - A quick google/bing/DDG for "black walnut toxicity horse" will turn up more material than you can hope to read in a lifetime on the subject - all of it agreeing that it's BAD NEWS for horses. The question among the experts isn't "IF" it's bad, it's "just exactly how bad is it?" The answer, unfortunately, is "anywhere from pretty bad to absolutely devestating".
Not afraid to admit my ignorance and lack of experience with animal husbandry that is cool to know. Sounds like something to just be avoided if you have horses.

Seems like an old practice that got disproven by the science.

This is also one of those drop a link threads so we'd appreciate it if after you stated a fact that you'd drop a link for it.

Hopefully this stays a neutral zone and a good jumping off point for zoos interested in homesteading and animal husbandry

Last edited:
Long story short: Some people near by me, (Non zoo) got a nice Fuck you from power company (they're supposed to read meter and warn if amount gets over 1k, they did neither) So they got a 3k bill out of no where due to lazy company. Well they know I told power company to fuck off years ago. So they wanted to do the same, being rural they don't need to grovel to a city or any thing.

So not having to deal with codes and policies meant to chain you to leaches and demand you bleed for them.

So with that, one can throw together a livable power system for apx 6k dollars. That will be 240/120 @ 6kw

2Kw's of solar in this area costed apz $1700 Cad (this is scalable, you can buy 1kw to start and add on as needed, all though it is ideal to build array in one go as less head aches matching panels)

Inverter, Chinesium Hybrid (Built in AC charger, and Solar controller) 6Kw split phase dual chargers
(How they make these is they take 2* 3Kw Hybrids and put it in one case and do all the seting up for you in the box)

- Flooded lead acid batteries, 2K dollars new 8 * 6v 225AH = 48V at 225AH, Now here where it gets complicated and some tricky balancing needs to be done, for best life, you never want to take your batteries much below 25% for flooded batteries, so 225 * 0.25 = you'd only have 56AH usable for best calendar life, that is not much at all, So most chose 50% depth of discharge, this will give you middle of the road life (Apx 10 years)

Type: Traction battery (True deep cycle) Can be paralleled up to 3 (As per manufacturer) Actual up to 4. ( 4 * 6v 225AH = 6V @ 900AH )

Options? Fork lift Batteries (Best bang for the buck, and sized right can last up to 20+ years)

Enhancements? Single point watering system, Strongly recommended ; Cell Balancers, Strongly recommended (Imbalance is what often kills a battery bank the fastest)

Pros of FLA? Resilient, hard to kill, tolerates rather good screw ups, not very sensitive to temperatures. a good beginners battery, and cheapest per watt.

Newer tech? Lithium Iron Phosphate

Pros: can be used to 80% depth of discharge with no affect on life cycle count so you buy a 200AH LiFePO4 you get 160Ah usable, Fast absorption of power from solar panels, Long lived, will not catch fire like other lithium techs.

Cons: Cost, High initial cost (slightly higher than lead acid now days) , more temperature sensitive, must be kept above 5c. Must have a management system (commercially made ones come with it)

So what is the best choice? Depends on what you have available, Lead acid is easy to get, easily to change around as needed as you learn how much power you need for your life style, As such I oft recommend people start with lead acid while they learn, once you hit a happy medium start saving money for a lithium bank when the lead acid finally fails.

Now days Inverters especially hybrids are getting cheap, So you want to invest the bulk of your money on a good reliable inverter, next will be the solar panels, third is wire, you want a good heavy gauge wire, this is the cause of poor performance of systems is under sized wiring.

My rule is no less than 2 awg for the system core, no matter the voltage, so that means 2 awg wire from the solar panels to the charge controller (if separate from inverter) to batteries to inverter. but practicalities come in here, higher voltage is your friend, most charge controllers can take up to 100 or better volts, this allows much smaller wire per watt from your solar panels to charge controller / Inverter.

but to get your feet wet, you can cobble together a workable if not enjoyable system fairly cheaply, in that case I can tell you I was rather comfortable off a 540w array and an 12V 1800w modified sine wave inverter, and 6 * 6V 230ah flooded lead acid batteries.

Last edited:
Not afraid to admit my ignorance and lack of experience with animal husbandry that is cool to know. Sounds like something to just be avoided if you have horses.

That would be a reasonable summary. Basically, horses and pretty well anything to do with black walnut trees should be kept as far apart as possible. (including, to my absolute astonishment when I first read about it, the GROUND around where a black walnut tree once grew - depending on which study you like best, anywhere from 5-15 years after the actual tree is gone, the roots left in the ground "leak" juglone in high enough quantity to the keep the ground where it once stood a danger zone for horses)

Back