Any ressources about dog vasectomy?

Estafantom

Citizen of Zooville
I couldn't find anything about how common vets do it, if it is inclued in vet school or any owners experiences who asked for one.

Are a lot of vets aware of this procedure?
Is it common for them to hear about it?
Is vasectomy accepted when you must nuter before adopting in a shelter? (if not already done)

Last edited:
Wondering what a vet would think about a request to render the pet sterile while maintaining his ability to copulate? Interesting question.

Wondering what a vet would think about a request to render the pet sterile while maintaining his ability to copulate? Interesting question.
There are a lot of ressources about keeping your dog's hormones without the issue of getting puppies ^^

Without the sex part it's also about the health of your pup

The Parsemus Foundation has a section dedicated to hormone-sparing sterilization, including a directory of veterinarians that offer the procedures but unfortunately it's almost entirely veterinarians within the US, only a handful are listed in other countries.

Unfortunately statistics on how common it is seem to be pretty dry. I think if you want to know whether or not it's a option when adopting from a shelter, you'd have to just call each one and ask. Where I live some rescues may allow it but any government-run shelter is required to neuter before sending dogs home.

The Parsemus Foundation has a section dedicated to hormone-sparing sterilization, including a directory of veterinarians that offer the procedures but unfortunately it's almost entirely veterinarians within the US, only a handful are listed in other countries.

Unfortunately statistics on how common it is seem to be pretty dry. I think if you want to know whether or not it's a option when adopting from a shelter, you'd have to just call each one and ask. Where I live some rescues may allow it but any government-run shelter is required to neuter before sending dogs home.
I did saw this list yes!

I also asked my local shelter but they didn't seems to really know about it and told me it depends on the vet (unsure answer) and I know they remove everything before adopting them out from the dogs I saw ^^'
Couldn't get more info from them as I was intimitated by the reaction.

Tho the purpose of neutering for rescues is to get them sterile so a vasectomie should be allowed in theory

Sadly calls stress me out a lot and I can not do that hehe

Last edited:
I wasn't able to find anything like statistics, but I was able to find vets who offer this by doing google searches. For example you could search "canine vasectomy in ohio" and a couple clinics pop up. I also found a site which appears to be a directory for vets who perform special procedures, such as alternatives to spay and neuter:

Seems it wants you to accept cookies to use it, though.

I wasn't able to find anything like statistics, but I was able to find vets who offer this by doing google searches. For example you could search "canine vasectomy in ohio" and a couple clinics pop up. I also found a site which appears to be a directory for vets who perform special procedures, such as alternatives to spay and neuter:

Seems it wants you to accept cookies to use it, though.
Thanks but it is mentionned in the comment just above yours ^^

Shelters want to avoid unwanted litters. Since it actually turns tye animal sterile, it should, in theory, work. But ut is quite an odd thing to ask and hard to justify.

If during your search you have some odd looks and you are a guy, play tongue in cheek the usual topic before you leave the conversation.
"We guys always cringe at the thought of removing our pets balls. Sort of feels too personal as if they were my own"

Most oeople will easily buy this 🤞
In fact is what everyone thinks when you say you do not want your dog neurered if it is unnecessary.

Thanks but it is mentionned in the comment just above yours ^^
Oops... sorry, I didn't put together that this is the same thing :gsd_nerd:

Agree with Goattobeloved that it shouldn't draw any attention to ask for this procedure if you give normal reasons. Especially for younger pups, you can say you do not want them to lose their testosterone and suffer all the health drawbacks that come with that.

I couldn't find anything about how common vets do it, if it is inclued in vet school or any owners experiences who asked for one.

Are a lot of vets aware of this procedure?
Is it common for them to hear about it?
Is vasectomy accepted when you must nuter before adopting in a shelter? (if not already done)

It's not that commonly done, currently most people will neuter their dog or leave them intact. There are some papers coming out about the risks and benefits of neutering, and more people are inquiring about alternatives, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing more vasectomized dogs in the future, and more vets with experience with the procedure.

Vets are supposed to know enough about vasectomy to have a helpful conversation about it. Many vets might have little to no experience with performing the procedure, or managing complications associated to it should they arise, because it's not that common a procedure. If they can't answer your questions, or if they can't offer the service, they should at least be able to refer you somewhere you might get it.

It is more and more common for people to inquire about it, mostly because of the recent controversies surrounding health risk/benefits associated with desexing.

as for the last point and:
the purpose of neutering for rescues is to get them sterile
The purpose is partly to reduce unwanted litters, but also to reduce pet relinquishment or 'adoption fails', which nobody ever talks about. Vasectomy would have no effect on the later, which is why I think it would be unlikely to find a shelter that goes with vasectomy.

Wondering what a vet would think about a request to render the pet sterile while maintaining his ability to copulate?
That's probably why it's not the most common practice. Most responsible owners feel they can prevent unwanted litters without putting their dog through surgery and leave them intact, or don't feel like dealing with an intact dog and want them neutered. The case for vasectomy is often people who want to be extra certain they don't cause an accidental litter, people who read about it online and are curious, or people who are contractually required to sterilize the dog (for example by breeders, landlords, local legislation, etc) but don't want to remove the hormones.
That being said, if you're insinuating asking about vasectomy it would raise flags, the dog can copulate just fine without having a vasectomy, I think the vet would just think you're exploring all the options for what's best for your doggo.

The purpose is partly to reduce unwanted litters, but also to reduce pet relinquishment or 'adoption fails', which nobody ever talks about. Vasectomy would have no effect on the later, which is why I think it would be unlikely to find a shelter that goes with vasectomy.
You mean adoption fails because of the dog "misbehaving" because of their hormones? If it is the case according to me it's most of time training issues, not hormones sadly..

Thank you for the big feedback, very appreciated.

You mean adoption fails because of the dog "misbehaving" because of their hormones? If it is the case according to me it's most of time training issues, not hormones sadly..
It is surprising peoples reaction when dogs play and mount each other and most go
"bu bu but... he is neutered..."
me: "No worries, the other is also a male so no problem"
...then an *spayed* female starts humping a male and another surprised owner.

Every...single...day
🤣🤣

It is surprising peoples reaction when dogs play and mount each other and most go
"bu bu but... he is neutered..."
me: "No worries, the other is also a male so no problem"
...then an *spayed* female starts humping a male and another surprised owner.

Every...single...day
🤣🤣
Yup, people don't know shit about dogs communication

Many vets might have little to no experience with performing the procedure
What I've always heard from vets who offer such procedures is that (in the US anyways) they simply aren't taught alternatives in school, only ovariohysterectomy and castration. They require extra training which most vets don't think is worth the effort since they view full removal to be perfectly suitable.

What I've always heard from vets who offer such procedures is that (in the US anyways) they simply aren't taught alternatives in school, only ovariohysterectomy and castration. They require extra training which most vets don't think is worth the effort since they view full removal to be perfectly suitable.
what's very concerning about those vets is that they don't keep up with latest researches, meaning they don't keep up to date with new knowledge. So now, my concern is if they don't keep up in this field, where else they lacking behind, and if my dog needs treatment, whether that treatment will fall into one of those areas where they are lacking behind .....

hormones definitely modulate behavior. It's not reasonable to think people will "train" dogs out of urine marking or sexual roaming, or to be less aloof or agonistic during interactions. Or train the girls to not bleed on the couch for a week here and there... The sad reality is that they're more convenient when they're neutered, and if you didn't do it before they were adopted, a heartbreaking number of people will just dump the dog.

they simply aren't taught alternatives in school
To become a surgeon, you don't have someone show you every single imaginable surgery. You are taught general principals of surgery. Fewer and fewer new vets actually do surgery, but any vet worth their salt in surgery should be able to figure it out. Or they can, you know, just youtube it...

those vets is that they don't keep up with latest researches
That's true for some, for sure. But in line with the last comment, many vets are aware of the papers coming out and are still recommending desexing (albeit more are finally recommending to wait until they're mature) or leaving intact over vasectomy/OSS, because it's really hard to argue any medical benefits of the later over the former.

hormones definitely modulate behavior. It's not reasonable to think people will "train" dogs out of urine marking or sexual roaming, or to be less aloof or agonistic during interactions. Or train the girls to not bleed on the couch for a week here and there...
It does, but you can still train a lot of things and teach your dog to take decisions by themselves (go check out about talking dogs with buttons like Bunny and Otters the poddles and positive reinforcement). And for the bleeding you can use a panty with a hole cut for the tail and a washable old coton fabric for example! Sadly people don't want to bother or pay a professional.

Very few doctors do this, maybe a doctor who is a close friend of yours.
They don't like vasectomy because the chance of testicular and prostate tumors remains the same, the male dog will still run away and search if he smells heat, etc. So apart from reproduction, all the disadvantages remain, so what's the point? It's much better to intact it.
So I don't think it's likely that this direction will change in the future, the dogs will either be intact or completely operated on.
Anyway, I don't agree with that either.

Actually, the Parsemus org lists a number of vets that will do vasectomies. Even if none is near, you can still appoint a phone call to get their opinion and see the reasons for it.

Really, does not make much sense to me either. As Twelvepaws puts it, you either want a working stud or one that has no need for reproductive parts. No one (out of us) would need a neutered dog that keeps harrassing your neighbors poodle.

What is also a bit more common lately is chemical castration. Seen some people in doubt about castration use shots that will "neuter" them for a few months, so they can get some extra time to decide. 🤷

Chemical are also used here, I once used them a long time ago. In the short term, it's fine. But if administered throughout life, the chance of various complications is high.

Chemical are also used here, I once used them a long time ago. In the short term, it's fine. But if administered throughout life, the chance of various complications is high.
I suspect so, as with any chemical/ hormonal thing affecting the body.

Still a good "test" I'd impose to anyone thinking of neutering *only* for the "Your Kujo will be a sweet, better, lovely, cuddly dog just by removing his testes" reason.

*smiles* This thread caught my eye because I had my coming 31 year old miniature stallion vasectomized a great many years ago. Such a procedure is even more uncommon in equines. My original intent was to allow him to run amongst all my mares. After his vasectomy I did some supervised trial runs and realized that an intact miniature stallion with full-sized mares was a delusion as when he solicited he could get kicked resulting in serious injury or death. In a herd of miniatures he'd be fine. Sadly my idealism didn't work out in 'reality'.

Anyway when I first approached a board certified equine surgeon he kind of blew me off which made me pause and reflect. I realized I would have to be more forward that I didn't want his behavior or personality changed but wanted him sterile. With some informed coaxing the surgeon agreed to perform the procedure. I came to find out later that these guys belong to on-line groups where ideas and information is shared. I discovered this when my former room mate took his mare to another veterinary surgeon and the topic came up. So I guess my little guy is a bit of a celebrity amongst veterinary surgeons. As the vet I used considered it an experimental/learning procedure I got a discount on the surgery but it still cost $1200!

Seems expensive and a vasectomy is less invasive hehe
Indeed it is more expensive, and possibly less healthy too, but good if you need a "reversible neutering". For instance you have a fine stud and a female pup you want to breed in an apartment, it makes sense to keep him "neutered" until she is mature enough.

Last case I heard was a lady that wants him neutered, but the family and her wants him to breed at least once since he is a quality stud and good character too, so he is now on chemical and after/if they get pups he will be cut for good.

I am against compulsity neutering, and also to false/orientated proneutering advice, but in favour to have it as an available operation at owners *well informed* decision.

Indeed it is more expensive, and possibly less healthy too, but good if you need a "reversible neutering". For instance you have a fine stud and a female pup you want to breed in an apartment, it makes sense to keep him "neutered" until she is mature enough.
I wonder if there's any statistics at all on the success rate of vasectomy reversal in dogs. Though honestly with the advancement of artificial insemination in dogs I wouldn't think it's generally necessary anyways since you can usually collect and freeze.

I wonder if there's any statistics at all on the success rate of vasectomy reversal in dogs. Though honestly with the advancement of artificial insemination in dogs I wouldn't think it's generally necessary anyways since you can usually collect and freeze.
In humans it's possible but unlikely to happen that's why you must really be sure, tbh those numbers are not relevant to me. If you regret then it's your fault to not have thought about it better.

Back