Wolf hybrid as a pet?

I would not recommend it for most people. I live in a rural area and have a high content, gray wolf hybrid (83.75%per DNA). I would compare it to being very similar to having a toddler. Gets into things, can open doors, picks and chooses when he wants to listen, ect. He’s at least house trained and listens to basic commands. However, it has very rewarding moments as well. He’s very friendly with me, and thanks to the amount of socialization he got as a pup. He’s pretty good with people with the exception of strangers at the house . not terribly dissimilar from a dog. A lot of his friendlier behaviors come from how much socialization he got as a pup. That being said it is not for everyone. We have 8 foot high fence that he can still get out of and he is very energetic. If not treated right, he will get aggressive. He will also push the boundaries and limits.
I got him as a pup while I was paralyzed so he wound up going with me to all of my appointments to work so it was pretty much nonstop interaction with people and strangers

Last edited:
If you have the means to care for one and you're willing to rescue one and educate yourself thoroughly beforehand, you'll be doing a great service and experience how rewarding such a unique relationship as this can be.

Edit: When I say "rescue one", I mean specifically from a registered non-profit wolfdog rescue organization.
The problem is that when you rescue from an animal organization, they usually give it to you castrated or they force you to castrate it.

The problem is that when you rescue from an animal organization, they usually give it to you castrated or they force you to castrate it.
Which is why we don't own Wolves, Bwana......Rescues in the States know better, and generally will place them at Sanctuaries. But that wolf will never be part of a pack.

Wolves are not given to civilians, they all stay in a "wolf shelter". This is understandable because of their behavior.
Fortunately, dogs are not neutering everywhere in shelters. There is no doubt that in most countries it is yeah.

The closest thing legally you can find is the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, genetically manipulated, but its character is complicated and it is not for beginners as a first dog, and it may be that in your country you need insurance for potentially dangerous breeds.

Chez-Wolfdog.jpg

If you state your case for having a "healthier, less invasive" alternative form of sterilization done like vasectomy or TL it's a win-win all around. I almost got an intact wolfdog from a nonprofit rescue but we turned out to not be a good match for each other. But the rescue owner was willing to make an exception for me. Same with 2 other places over the years for other breeds. I think it also helps if you have some sort of background in some kind of rescue work, which shows them you care about their well being. Often red flags go up and kneejerk reactions result when someone shows any resistance to spay and neuter because rescuers automatically think backyard breeder/puppymiller, and for good reason of course. But strangely they can also have the same reaction toward vasectomies and TL if they're uneducated about it. So gathering vet-backed research and framing it in a strictly pro-health context and presenting yourself as a very caring person that's educated and focused on their health and longevity, will increase chances of finding a rescue that will allow that arrangement, "under the table" if they feel necessary. Many will say no, but some will say yes.

like vasectomy
You will have a dog that cum, but will not have a single piece of sperm in it.
I'm not a male dog person, but I think it's just as sex-destroying that there's no sperm in the final product.
Let's just say that no form of sterilization is good. Find an intact dog.

rescuers automatically think backyard breeder/puppymiller, and for good reason of course.
Non-of course, 99% of dogs do not go to backyard breeders. That's just shelter bullshit. They should be beaten for it continuously.

If you state your case for having a "healthier, less invasive" alternative form of sterilization done like vasectomy or TL it's a win-win all around. I almost got an intact wolfdog from a nonprofit rescue but we turned out to not be a good match for each other. But the rescue owner was willing to make an exception for me. Same with 2 other places over the years for other breeds. I think it also helps if you have some sort of background in some kind of rescue work, which shows them you care about their well being. Often red flags go up and kneejerk reactions result when someone shows any resistance to spay and neuter because rescuers automatically think backyard breeder/puppymiller, and for good reason of course. But strangely they can also have the same reaction toward vasectomies and TL if they're uneducated about it. So gathering vet-backed research and framing it in a strictly pro-health context and presenting yourself as a very caring person that's educated and focused on their health and longevity, will increase chances of finding a rescue that will allow that arrangement, "under the table" if they feel necessary. Many will say no, but some will say yes.
Yes, but I would also like to have my wolf pups, see them grow and form a pack.

You will have a dog that cum, but will not have a single piece of sperm in it.
I'm not a male dog person, but I think it's just as sex-destroying that there's no sperm in the final product.
Let's just say that no form of sterilization is good. Find an intact dog.
As far as I know, a dog with a vasectomy can ejaculate semen, but without sperm.

As far as I know, a dog with a vasectomy can ejaculate semen, but without sperm.
I also referred to this.

I don't see the point of a neutered wolf against an intact dog.
The wolf has many other disadvantages. These are good for wishful thinking, but not in reality.

I knew a friend who had a dog got out one night and somehow got knocked up by a wolf, so that's how they eventually ended up with "Zen". Sweet hybrid, but that's because mom was a great trainer, and all the dogs knew who was in charge. I had thought about it once upon a time, but I have my hands full with my Malinois already. I don't need another dog like him that's nowhere near as easy to train 😅

I know people who have wolfdogs (real wolf dogs like half wolf half german sheperd), its manageable, but you should do some research into it beforehand, its different enough that you could benefit from speaking to another owner of a wolf dog. it is a big deal i think.

Back