What is the cost of caring for your animal partners per year?

What is the cost of caring for your animal partners per year?

• 0-250$

Votes: 21 7.2%
  • 250-500$

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 500-1,000$

Votes: 36 12.4%
  • 1,000-2,500$

Votes: 80 27.5%
  • 2,500-5,000$

Votes: 69 23.7%
  • 5,000-10,000$

Votes: 43 14.8%
  • 10,000-25,000$

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • 50,000-100,00$

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 100,000$+

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
Which is why I currently do not have a money pit on my property, otherwise known as a horse.
<heh> Old advice on how to make a small fortune with horses
Step one: Start with a large fortune.
Step two: Let some time pass.
Step three: Count what's left of your fortune.
How small a fortune are you looking for? Repeat steps one thru three until you get there - Whatever your goal is, you WILL get there! :)

I chose $5-10k because some animals (esp the larger ones) "require" land or boarding, thus that cost has to be accounted for. Basically, you can't rent a basement apartment unless you pay $500/mo for boarding a horse. Dogs are closer to the $1-1.5k range. Might be high or low on either, but I think they're close - and that's terrifying to think about.

About $1,500 a year on food and $500-1,000 a year for vet care for the dogs. Probably another $100 a year in destroyed socks though...

What is the cost of caring for your animal partners per year? This is an all inclusive cost of food, medicine, housing and anything extra.
With having a Swiss Shepard & English Bullterrier, both males it can get up there in prices if not cared for enough, and even once the Bullterrier has faked being sick, for I think attention, but it costed me $335 in bills XD

First for two gsd a year on food 3,500 for vet 1,500 and for games and general cleaning 2,000
Now for one a month on food 200 for vet 100 and for games and general cleaning 100....

the cost of having and caring for animals nowadays has sky rocketed and those vets know how to get it from ya too. I gonna leave it at that dont want to rave about them :censored:

the cost of having and caring for animals nowadays has sky rocketed and those vets know how to get it from ya too. I gonna leave it at that dont want to rave about them :censored:
I just figured it up. I spend around 50K per year just feeding my horses currently. That does not include farrier, vet, dewormer, etc..
And prices are going up, on everything.

I have 3 Female Great Danes and buy dry food in 20kg bulk bags plus they get fresh cooked kangaroo meat,
pasta, cooked oat, and cooked vegetables so about $75.00 a week
then vaccination every year, flee, tick and worming treatments $6 to 800.00 a year
the odd vet treatment for accidents normally never under $500.00 for anything
2020 finical year my 3 dogs run up just on $5800.00 in costs but I love them.

Around 25
<nods> To someone (such as myself) in a simialr situation, that sounds just about right. Hard to get away with a bale of hay for much less than $25 around here, and a horse will demolish that bale (assuming it eats it all, rather than stomping it into the stall muck, etc) in about 2, maybe 3 days, depending on the specific critter. Do the math... And that's *JUST* hay - horses like things such as grain, and while they may not LIKE it, things like having their feet trimmed, wormers, vaccines, maybe a blanket, and so many "etc" items I can't even name all of them off the top of my head, that if you can't afford to (in effect) set about 6-10 grand a year on fire, you can't afford to keep a horse. And that assumes *NO* significant health issues - A colic can easily burn 20 grand literally overnight. A founder won't burn it as fast, but the end result will likely be about the same, just spread over the rest of the animal's life in care and treatments to keep it from living in something approaching the level of agony only torture can produce - the total in the end will be AT LEAST as much as a colic case, just spread out over a longer time instead of being one bill.

It's often been said: The best way to make a small fortune with horses is to start with a large fortune.

It's also been said (with great accuracy, I might add) BUYING a horse is dirt cheap - might even be absolutely free. But trying to KEEP a horse will probably bankrupt you.

this year mine beat all the possible images imaginable .... I arrived at almost 900 € per month in the last six months :(

What is the cost of caring for your animal partners per year? This is an all inclusive cost of food, medicine, housing and anything extra.
Having to GSD who eat a 98% raw diet it gets fairly expensive to feed them both, im looking at just on food alone around 7 or 8k a year, vet bills are fairly low as they are both super healthy. I spend probably another 2 or 3k on extra stuff like toys and treats lol there spoiled.

Around 700 to 1000 chf per year for food.

Price as "luggage" not included. He also gets often my "leftovers" restaurant food, if it's not seasoned

I’ve never sat down to get an exact number on what I spend on him, but I know it averages between 3,000 and 5,000. His food bill alone takes a a few grand. But year to year it differs. If we travel, and how far we travel plays into cost. His supplements are not cheep. Vet check ups are cheap. He hasn’t needed anything major from the vet yet.

I’ve never sat down to get an exact number on what I spend on him, but I know it averages between 3,000 and 5,000. His food bill alone takes a a few grand. But year to year it differs. If we travel, and how far we travel plays into cost. His supplements are not cheep. Vet check ups are cheap. He hasn’t needed anything major from the vet yet.
Do you have a Saint Bernard?

Do you have a Saint Bernard?
No, I have a Doberman. I feed him a raw food diet so that’s where the price comes high. Plus his supplements are a little expensive. It’s worth it though. He’s really healthy and his coat is perfect.

So, I have two horses, so I'm thinking I'm a bit under the cost, but together, all accounted for, they are somewhere between $5000 and $6000 a year. Now, I own my own farm so that's not with boarding costs, but it's probably a fair estimate.

No, I have a Doberman. I feed him a raw food diet so that’s where the price comes high. Plus his supplements are a little expensive. It’s worth it though. He’s really healthy and his coat is perfect.
Ok, I get it. I feed them a well balanced dog food diet, and sometimes with cooked rice or so. My stallion is on lucern and special balanced cubes. That's excluded vet checks. I do check ups and treatments myself.

The survey is missing a cost tier (e.g., $25K to $50K)! I believe the $50K to $100K tier is accurate for us.

We tend to 15 beautiful, magical, magnificent equine souls here. Sadly we recently lost one to a strangled gut colic. She was an elderly mare and the vet recommended against surgery due to her age (e.g., mid 30's). I appreciate the comments made here by other equine keepers, especially UR20Z as they're spot on. Virtually all of our (my own and my room mates) income goes to supporting our equine companions and the facilities here so we can have them. IF we had more $$$ we'd surely spend even more on them. In our lives not much more matters than our equine companions, lovers and partners...

Last edited:
Back