What are these little spots on my dog's skin?

I only wash mine if they roll in some thing, or run through mud, people don't realize washing too much is bad for both of you, if you want her to join in the shower just use water on her
Yea I think I'm probably guilty of that
Because we're so close and she literally sleeps in my bed, under the covers on the pillow next to me I tend to wash her probably twice a month or so. I understand it's important not to strip their skin of it's natural oils and moisture thus drying it out but I'm hoping this new shampoo won't do that. The vet didn't seem to think it was an issue washing her once every two weeks but I don't think he gets just how sensitive her skin is. I'll try stretch the baths out from now.

When I run out of shampoo I use dog shampoo on myself and it is really harsh on my hair. Very different.
I found the same thing with the average dog shampoo. That's why I used baby shampoo in the years before. I used to have a pittie a few years ago who used to itch with everything, then I tried a moisturising anti-dandruff shampoo for humans (not knowing as much as I do now) and it worked perfectly. Used that on her for the rest of her life. The shampoo was Head and Shoulders😂

I found the same thing with the average dog shampoo. That's why I used baby shampoo in the years before. I used to have a pittie a few years ago who used to itch with everything, then I tried a moisturising anti-dandruff shampoo for humans (not knowing as much as I do now) and it worked perfectly. Used that on her for the rest of her life. The shampoo was Head and Shoulders😂
Have you ever tried mane n' tail? It's a horse shampoo and conditioner but it works HELLA good on dogs and people. I've used it for decades and it's all good.

Yea I think I'm probably guilty of that
Because we're so close and she literally sleeps in my bed, under the covers on the pillow next to me I tend to wash her probably twice a month or so. I understand it's important not to strip their skin of it's natural oils and moisture thus drying it out but I'm hoping this new shampoo won't do that. The vet didn't seem to think it was an issue washing her once every two weeks but I don't think he gets just how sensitive her skin is. I'll try stretch the baths out from now.
all six of mine do (mind you they change places through out the night) (sadly only 5 now), they can join you in the shower no prob, just don't use any soaps on her, often a simple rinse is plenty

Hey everyone,

So this is my girl, she's a young, female pitbull and she's always had one or two little bumps on her skin (she's always had sensitive skin issues) but lately I'm noticing more and more and at the moment it looks like she's been bitten by a thousand mosquitoes. I edited the contrast etc. of the photo to make the spots more noticeable so they don't actually look that bad in person but I notice them when I stroke her coat. She doesn't itch, they're not sore and my vet thinks they're insect bites and tells me not to worry about it. They're definitely not insects as she gets bathed often and sleeps in my bed. So if they were then I would know about it.

Could it be an allergic reaction to the shampoo I'm using? Been using the same brand for years but maybe their formula has changed. I'm going to switch to another shampoo just in case. Her diet and everything has remained pretty stable, there's no external factors I can think of. She's extremely healthy and does lots of exercise and she's never had any health issues her entire life so I'm baffled by it. They're not permanent, they come and go, one day they're more noticeable and the next it's almost like they're totally gone. View attachment 507561
1 thing noone appears to have hit on, so il ask, have you changed brand or type of soap you use in washing machine? Possibly a reaction to that if your a self confessed "clean freak" and have changed type or brand lately that you clean bed sheets etc with.
Just a thought. Hope you get to bottom of it.

Last edited:
1 thing noone appears to have hit on, so il ask, have you changed brand or type of soap you use in washing machine? Possibly a reaction to that if your a self confessed "clean freak" and have changed type or brand lately that you clean bed sheets etc with.
Just a thought. Hope you get to bottom of it.
I didn't think of that. I'll try different soap and softener and see. Thanks!

I didn't think of that. I'll try different soap and softener and see. Thanks!
I found out the hard way, got bio soap for washing machine because non bio wasnt available and thought what harm can it do?
3 days later i bloody well found out, looked excactly like your doggo, went doctors and he asked had i changed soap recently, said yes, told me was allergic reaction to bio soap action! Made sure non bio ever since, no problem again!
Post up if you find the solution!

I found out the hard way, got bio soap for washing machine because non bio wasnt available and thought what harm can it do?
3 days later i bloody well found out, looked excactly like your doggo, went doctors and he asked had i changed soap recently, said yes, told me was allergic reaction to bio soap action! Made sure non bio ever since, no problem again!
Post up if you find the solution!
So I'm pretty convinced it was the shampoo. Or at least that's one of the biggest contributing factors. It's been about a week since I changed to another hypoallergenic shampoo and the difference is insane. I'll take another photo of the same leg from the same angle.

Wow that's a night and day difference from what you posted before!

So glad things have gotten better for her skin!
Thanks! Me too. I edited the first photo and played with the contrast to make the spots stand out so everyone could see what we're dealing with but it is definitely almost a total improvement.

Back