Vets that offer vasectomies & ovary sparing spays

Splashstorm

Tourist
This is cool! Keeps your animals looking and feeling all natural. Thanks will have to keep this in mind when I do get some dogs in the future.

People seem to be finally understanding the health issue associated with early spay and neuter (and spay and neuter in general), good breeders will make you wait until the dog has reached maturity 18 months and after first heat to spay or neuter. This is why I have a problem with rescues, they spay and neuter puppies as early as 12 weeks old, they say they care about dogs but then they do shit like that, but that's a topic for the dumpster fire.....There is a vasectomy and ovary sparing spay page on Facebook with a bunch of good info and probably a few website I can't think of off the top of my head.

Wow, thanks for the resource! My friend was recommending a vet that was located over 4 hours away from me which does OSS procedures. I plan on eventually getting an OSS done on my girl, her pussy is pretty pungent as it is, and since I don't plan on breeding her, I'm worried that she might be at a greater risk for pyo. Thanks to the website I now know of a vet only located 1 hour and 45 minutes away from me, it even has a 5 star rating with many overly positive reviews.

People seem to be finally understanding the health issue associated with early spay and neuter (and spay and neuter in general), good breeders will make you wait until the dog has reached maturity 18 months and after first heat to spay or neuter. This is why I have a problem with rescues, they spay and neuter puppies as early as 12 weeks old, they say they care about dogs but then they do shit like that, but that's a topic for the dumpster fire.....There is a vasectomy and ovary sparing spay page on Facebook with a bunch of good info and probably a few website I can't think of off the top of my head.
not to sound like a negative nancy, but i think that most shelters simply only care about the dogs not breeding further and not really about the health of individual dogs.

On the subject as far as performance after a dog gets a vasectomy, will be still squirt? I've had one done years ago and I don't feel any difference really but will he? What I really mean to ask is can I still give him a BJ? If so, what age would you recommend getting one done? My boy is currently 6 months old and will be about 150lbs full grown.

On the subject as far as performance after a dog gets a vasectomy, will be still squirt? I've had one done years ago and I don't feel any difference really but will he? What I really mean to ask is can I still give him a BJ? If so, what age would you recommend getting one done? My boy is currently 6 months old and will be about 150lbs full grown.

A vasectomy doesn't cause a reduction in hormones like neutering does so you could pretty much get it done whenever. You shouldn't notice any changes in your boy and he should still be able to do anything any other intact dog could. Except sire pups, of course. Probably. Remember it's not fool proof. This is for a Dane, right? Have you talked to your vet about gastropexy, also known as stomach tacking, to prevent bloat? Pros and cons, but I only mention it because if you're putting your dog under for one surgery you might as well knock out both at once instead of doing them separate to reduce risk. Something to talk to your vet about.

A vasectomy doesn't cause a reduction in hormones like neutering does so you could pretty much get it done whenever. You shouldn't notice any changes in your boy and he should still be able to do anything any other intact dog could. Except sire pups, of course. Probably. Remember it's not fool proof. This is for a Dane, right? Have you talked to your vet about gastropexy, also known as stomach tacking, to prevent bloat? Pros and cons, but I only mention it because if you're putting your dog under for one surgery you might as well knock out both at once instead of doing them separate to reduce risk. Something to talk to your vet about.

So as an owner of a breed prone to bloating, the surgery to tack the stomach doesn't prevent bloat - all it does is prevent the stomach from flipping (i.e. gastric dilation volvulus or GDV) which is almost always fatal. I highly recommend if you own a breed that is prone to bloating you keep Gas-X on hand. There's a site that actually sells a bloat kit with all the necessary equipment to buy you time until you can get your dog to the vet, which I'd be more than happy to share with anyone who needs it.

So as an owner of a breed prone to bloating, the surgery to tack the stomach doesn't prevent bloat - all it does is prevent the stomach from flipping (i.e. gastric dilation volvulus or GDV) which is almost always fatal. I highly recommend if you own a breed that is prone to bloating you keep Gas-X on hand. There's a site that actually sells a bloat kit with all the necessary equipment to buy you time until you can get your dog to the vet, which I'd be more than happy to share with anyone who needs it.
i thought those things are one and the same... my boy died off flipped stomach and the vet refered to it as "gastric torsion or bloat"

i thought those things are one and the same... my boy died off flipped stomach and the vet refered to it as "gastric torsion or bloat"
They are. Was just saying that tacking the stomach doesn't prevent it, just keeps the stomach from flipping so it reduces the risk of the incident being fatal. It also helps reduce the chances of it reoccurring again.

With these sort of breeds, I also always limit or eliminate exercise an hour before and an hour after and soak their food before I give it to them. Again, doesn't necessarily prevent it - but does seem to help reduce the chances of it, at least anecdotally.

**Sorry for going off-topic!**

Back