Trimming black nails? Experience or advice?

Hi everyone, looking for advice on how to trim black nails.

I can trim clear nails just fine since you can see the quick but on black nails I typically use a hand clipper and go very slowly and only a little bit at a time. I trim nails before each bathtime in the tub, and rinse down the drain so there's no mess. The clipping are very small and my tub drain is large enough to handle them. I do them about once a month to every other month. I've been considering using a small drum sander on my dremmel but I would think that would create a ton of dust after doing all the nails that need to be trimmed. What has been everyone else's experience with trimming black nails on your own? And what tools do you use?

Mostly following this for advice, but I'll throw in my 2 cents from my "experience". The dog in my profile pic is my first ever dog, before I always had cats so like you, it was really easy to trim their claws cause there's no guesswork. However I got a pair of scissor style nail clippers with the metal guard that flips up to stop you from going to far, and I've had yet to cause my pup to bleed. However, he really really doesn't like his paws being held and touched. So he keeps pulling away, and then it just becomes a fight.
No joke, one time I had to "sit" on him (obviously I was sitting on my legs/feet/knees and not on him as that would be totally not cool) in order to get just a single nail cut. I should have gotten trimmers way sooner like I did with his toothbrush, because he's totally fine with me brushing his teeth.

If you look at the tip of the nail as you trim it, you’ll see a small dot in the center if you get close to the quick - that’s the start of the quick itself: stop when you see that dot. You can practice on clear nails to get more used to spotting it.
Dremel is a great idea, though. Professional groomers all offer the service now. It does create a lot of dust, but it’s easier to keep the nails short and smooth and if you do hit the quick, it’ll be less severe than if you were to trim it with clippers.

If you look at the tip of the nail as you trim it, you’ll see a small dot in the center if you get close to the quick - that’s the start of the quick itself: stop when you see that dot. You can practice on clear nails to get more used to spotting it.
Dremel is a great idea, though. Professional groomers all offer the service now. It does create a lot of dust, but it’s easier to keep the nails short and smooth and if you do hit the quick, it’ll be less severe than if you were to trim it with clippers.
I can't remember where the hell I was reading this, probably reddit, but if your dog ever has issues like mine does, people say it's best just to spend the $20 or whatever and take them to the groomers, as they're very used to handling dogs with issues with nail trimmings. Add onto that they know the shape of the nail well enough, that they know where the quick is just based on that. Plus I would assume as an added bonus, they would have things like clotting powder on hand, should the worst happen.

I can attest that the Dremel idea does work wonders. It took a little bit of getting used to for my girl because of the sound of the thing, and the sensation of it buzzing her nails off, but once we got past that, it went incredibly fast.

Mostly following this for advice, but I'll throw in my 2 cents from my "experience". The dog in my profile pic is my first ever dog, before I always had cats so like you, it was really easy to trim their claws cause there's no guesswork. However I got a pair of scissor style nail clippers with the metal guard that flips up to stop you from going to far, and I've had yet to cause my pup to bleed. However, he really really doesn't like his paws being held and touched. So he keeps pulling away, and then it just becomes a fight.
No joke, one time I had to "sit" on him (obviously I was sitting on my legs/feet/knees and not on him as that would be totally not cool) in order to get just a single nail cut. I should have gotten trimmers way sooner like I did with his toothbrush, because he's totally fine with me brushing his teeth.
I'll have to look into those, is there a specific brand you use?

I can attest that the Dremel idea does work wonders. It took a little bit of getting used to for my girl because of the sound of the thing, and the sensation of it buzzing her nails off, but once we got past that, it went incredibly fast.
Haven't looked too far into the dremel but yeah not looking forward to the dust.

I'll have to look into those, is there a specific brand you use?
The nail clippers you mean? Just something I nabbed off the shelf at Walmart. I just made sure that it had a guard on it like these ones here. That little metal piece that can be there or not (it's on a swivel). Idk why it's such a big deal for him, it's not like I've ever cut his quick, but it's something he's not used to. I find that the more you let them get away with not doing at least one nail the more they fight you every time you try to do it again. However, I've been recently letting him outside in the backyard more often, and it's been starting to wear down his other nails too, which is super helpful.
1707980221629.png

However, I've been recently letting him outside in the backyard more often, and it's been starting to wear down his other nails too, which is super helpful.
Sidewalks are ready made for this purpose, too. Dewclaws would still need to be trimmed, though—those can get raptor like!

I don’t know how your doggo is with nail trims, but you can Look into positive re-enforcement training form folks like Karen Pryor. Takes some time, but you can actually work so that your doggo DOESNT scream like a banshee and hate them.

Also second dremels. More expensive, but you can control the pressure and speed to just gently sand away the nails and go at a much slower pace.

Still haven't looked into a dremel but cutting nails has become much easier. I like to get the boys in the tub and clip their nails before bathing. Then all the mess goes down the drain. I haven't been using the regular clippers that much. I still prefer the shear style. I've come to learn to go slowly and have only had accidents a couple times, none the last couple bath days. Going on walks and having them run around keeps their nails somewhat short but they still require being clipped. In the incidents I did have, I've wrapped their paws in gause and medical tape. They typically heal up in a couple hours to overnight.

Translucent claws are always easier than opaque, but the translucent (if he has any) will show you the lengths the quick has grown out into the claw. And if you managed to clip all of them last time, the quicks should be that same length this time. Pro tip, if you stay on top of clipping often (and it sounds like you do), the quicks won't grow as far out.

My guys are all outside / farm dogs. They wear theirs down just living daily life on this homestead, so I rarely even have to bother anymore, except for the dewclaws as Deagle noted. And my big alpha pyr / St Bernard mix is, well, pyrenees, so I've got the joy of rear dewclaws to deal with too. As to the mess, why not just clip outside, same as brushing? Leashed around a tree or fence post to keep your hands free. No indoors, no mess, no problem. And play "steal the feet" game more often. Gets 'em accustomed to having their feet handled.

But back before land ownership, when I dwelled in humble apartments and worked jobs in vet clinics, shelters, boarding kennels etc., I used to do bathing & grooming for some of those. We had dremels too, think we used 120 grit conical sander bits, but it was always hit or miss whether a dog would tolerate the sensation of all that vibration going up the legs. Honestly I relied more on my skill with the clippers daily in the trenches. Seldom broke out the dremel unless an owner requested it. Had a good pair of the style shown by Max13. Never did bother with the guide, swiveled that out of the way and clipped in increments, taking tiny chunks off to show them its no big deal. After a few harmless clips and no pain, they're more inclined to stop fussing when they see this isn't so bad. Kinda developed a side-cut technique too, where I'd cut the sides at a taper, going 45 instead of a straight 90 down thru it. This would help creep closer to the quick without as much risk, as well as blunting the finished result so they weren't so sharp 'n freshly shorn in the days ahead. Also, that same pain reaction can be tested gently as an important indicator, too -- when in doubt, ie. you're finishing up and think you're getting near the quick on an opaque claw, you can test for a pain reaction without any real harm. Start to squeeze your clippers experimentally, but control your applied pressure carefully in featherlight increments -- don't cut all the way thru(!). If the dog was calm for the smaller bits but tries to suddenly jerk his leg away from your grip as you squeeze tighter, you know you're about to slice into quick. Stop there and go to the next. That claw's done!

In a professional setting, yes we did have muzzles, and these were used if we had a known biter or just at our discretion. Hard to explain, just a feeling you'd get. Call it a sixth sense having done it long enough. Most times I worked the weekend shifts myself so no helper to hold the dog. I would muzzle up some dogs if I felt I needed to, but others I didn't. One way or another, the job got done. If all else fails, styptic power to the rescue.

Hope that helps somebody out there.

Happy clippings! ...
... make for happier mountings ;)

Back