• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Spay/Neuter Laws in CA

Rimlover52

Lurker
So I see online that California requires shelters to spay/neuter dogs with exceptions for health reasons. Would I have to get the dog spayed/neutered if I (for example) were to be given a dog by someone I know or adopt it from just an individual and not a shelter? The laws either aren’t very clear or I lack basic reading comprehension skills.

Yep! All non-profit rescues shelters are required to S/N but if you get from a breeder or adopt a dog from someone in say Craigslist of Facebook marketplace you do not need to S/N.

Just beware many breeders won't allow you to purchase a puppy without signing a contract stating that you will when the dog is matured.

So I see online that California requires shelters to spay/neuter dogs with exceptions for health reasons. Would I have to get the dog spayed/neutered if I (for example) were to be given a dog by someone I know or adopt it from just an individual and not a shelter? The laws either aren’t very clear or I lack basic reading comprehension skills.
Check with your city on what's allowed. Most place allow you to keep your partner intact, but cost more each year to keep them registered.

Back