Socialization

Anonygoose

Tourist
Does anyone else experience issues having their in-tact males in public? I'd be concerned that even if he takes corrections well, he'll just be uninterested in playing with other dogs if humping is off the table.
How much are y'all letting your in-tact boys frolic around in dog parks anyway?
I really want to be able to socialize the next pup I have, but there seems to be constant issues if they still have their balls.

Does anyone else experience issues having their in-tact males in public? I'd be concerned that even if he takes corrections well, he'll just be uninterested in playing with other dogs if humping is off the table.
How much are y'all letting your in-tact boys frolic around in dog parks anyway?
I really want to be able to socialize the next pup I have, but there seems to be constant issues if they still have their balls.
I’ll admit, I have my concerns about just this very thing, but from the other end of the spectrum. I have an intact female Lab, and have some concerns about how well any interactions with intact males will go at the dog park. It’s winter now, and the park is largely empty right now, so it’s kind of her own little kingdom, but I feel like some diligence is going to need to be practiced on my part (e.g., don’t take her to the dog park while she is in heat) in order to remove as much temptation for dogs such as yours would be.

I would think though, that with good training on your end, and intelligence being practiced by the owners of intact female pups in your area, should there be some that frequent your park, you should be able to manage expectations pretty well.

some parks now have designated areas for unneutered dogs. they leave it up to the owners if they want to allow other dogs in that area or not.

some parks now have designated areas for unneutered dogs. they leave it up to the owners if they want to allow other dogs in that area or not.
I imagine that this would really only work for either males or females though, right? I mean, like, you couldn’t have one enclosed area where the intact males and intact bitches all hang out together. I have a sense it would quickly transform from “City Dog Park”, to “City Dog Mating Park”.

Back