Should Censure be changed to Condemn in the Zeta Principles?

Should Censure be changed to Condemn in the Zeta Principles?

• No, "Censure" is fine no change is needed.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes "Condemn" is a more readily understandable word than Censure

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don't know what the Zeta Principles are, so this makes no difference to me.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I think it should be changed to a different word (please suggest the word in a comment below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HugDoggy

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
I have a very simple question today, Is "Censure" really the best word to use in the Zeta Principles? Language is of course one of those things that can vary from place to place in both meaning and tone. In my own country it is a very antiquated and outdated term that many younger people have absolutely no knowledge of. But I don't know if this is true in other places, thus trying to find a word that is suitable in all English speaking countries may be a challenge. And heaven knows what it is transformed into when converted to other languages for zoos in non English speaking countries. Personally though I would like to see Censure be changed to Condemn to make it more accessible to more people in today's use of language. What are people's thoughts on this.

Since the only votes are "I don't know what this is" perhaps (assuming the Mods OK it) a link to something explaining?
Thank you for pointing that out.

These are the Zeta Principle:
  1. Bestow upon animals the same kindness one would wish bestowed upon oneself.
  2. Consider the well being of an animal companion as important as ones own.
  3. Place the animal’s will and wellbeing ahead of one’s desires for sexual gratification.
  4. Teach those who seek knowledge about zoophilia and bestiality without promoting it.
  5. Discourage the practice of bestiality in the presence of fetish seekers. (Note: this should be read as discouragement of objectification of the animal. It does not criticize non-romantic consensual sexual interactions which are perfectly fine).
  6. Censure sexual exploitation of animals for the purpose of financial gain.
  7. Censure those who practice and promote animal sexual abuse.

"Condemn" does have more clarity. The most common usage of the word "censure" these days is in politics and refers to a (IMHO) rather ineffectual handwringing rather than any consequence likely to change the offending behaviour.

I'm a little disappointed there have been very few responses, but on an overly sex focused site like ZV I guess that is to be expected. I should have tried for the discussion on Zoocadia.net at least people there know of, if not firmly believe in the principles there.

"Condemn" does have more clarity. The most common usage of the word "censure" these days is in politics and refers to a (IMHO) rather ineffectual handwringing rather than any consequence likely to change the offending behaviour.
i agree. further, who would administer the censure and what practical effect would it have?

I'm a little disappointed there have been very few responses, but on an overly sex focused site like ZV I guess that is to be expected. I should have tried for the discussion on Zoocadia.net at least people there know of, if not firmly believe in the principles there.
sorry- just saw this today.
also- thanks for mentioning zoocadia. i am always looking for new beastiality forums and groups.

i agree. further, who would administer the censure and what practical effect would it have?
That is a good question, which is I guess what the problem is with the word being a little ambiguous about the action that should be taken in response to the principle being violated/broken. I mean the intent I'm pretty sure is to voice an objection to the behaviour, but this can be hard in a community where from the outside no difference is drawn between abuse and loving consensual interactions. The principles at their heart are as much for non zoos to under stand these are the things we stand for ethically as they are for us within the community to choose to live by.

Back