Questions for those who would want to discuss or explain.

Tourist
This is for those who are ok with these questions and are ok with talking about this, sorry in advance if this seems like a sensitive topic.
What do you think of the intelligence level of commonly partnered animals, like dogs and horses?
Just that, at first I was a bit zoo curious, but didn’t find that I was a zoophile. But still continue to think about how others find things like romantic attraction to animals to be acceptable, and would like to see if I could understand.
I feel like the consideration of intelligence and awareness is the most important factor in deciding whether this seems ok or not, in my opinion. As in, I can see that animals consent in their own way, but should that consent with their level of awareness be viable? And if so, why?

why are you wording this as if their intelligence was somehow sub-par?
look up how and why is an average seeing eye dog capable of taking charge of a human person or how one cattle dog handles a hundred heads big herd with ease and reflect on your perception of their intelligence. it's very much not defined by their inability to speak.

Reactions: pes
As in, I can see that animals consent in their own way, but should that consent with their level of awareness be viable?
Yes. Because animals have been having sex since the moment sex became available. The ability to choose partners and decline partners is almost as old as life it self.

Intelligence is a made up measurement that only considers the things humans believe to be important indicators of intelligence. It is by no means objective and there is constant human influence in any given social circle as to what actually equates to intelligence.

Intelligence is a made up measurement that only considers the things humans believe to be important indicators of intelligence. It is by no means objective and there is constant human influence in any given social circle as to what actually equates to intelligence.
Thanks for your reply, I agree that I want us to find a good and objective approach in finding the intelligence of other animals besides us. I’m taking this as further food for thought and hopefully not get too entangled in complicated animal and human studies.

Dogs come from wolves, wild animals that have evolved to survive with nothing but their intelligence and their instincts. They've learned to form social skills that allow them to live and work together with their pack families, a trait in them that's likely the reason why they're so good at getting along with people. Somewhere deep in a dog's mind are all of the things wolves have learned through thousands of years of evolution, despite branching off and evolving with humans. Dogs are intelligent in their own way, it's not fair to compare them to people when we wouldn't want them to be people. We love them because they're dogs.
Thank you for replying. I think the last sentence sums up well in what I’ve found in “true zoophiles”. I’m just going to take my time in thinking about this and doing my own research.
For now, what I mainly found to be the main problem in this, is that I agree that many animals are wonderfully complex with a rich evolutionary history. And what I worry about is what is our true differences and similarities between animals? In a way that’s objective, looking from their perspective. And I’ll be trying to look into that.

look up how and why is an average seeing eye dog capable of taking charge of a human person or how one cattle dog handles a hundred heads big herd with ease and reflect on your perception of their intelligence. it's very much not defined by their inability to speak.
Yes and I try to acknowledge that. I also found all this interesting since I grew up with nonverbal and physically dependent family members. Although I did grow up with them, the language referring to them and very dependent adults with ID changed very much over time and still changes. And the similarities I find in both them and animals is that they’re more intelligent than we previously gave them credit for. But I also don’t ever see those family members ever interested in people romantically or sexually. Some out there do (I think), but that in itself is also a complicated topic that I’ll try to take my time to learn about.

Yes. Because animals have been having sex since the moment sex became available. The ability to choose partners and decline partners is almost as old as life it self.
Thanks for replying, and yes. Though, generally, I’m going to take my time thinking about all this and researching.

I think dogs are a lot smarter than most give them credit for, and people saying dogs just have sex on instinct and for reproduction don't know what they're talking about

I have a few questions, you don’t have to answer. While I agree that we need to work on measuring intelligence more objectively, do you think that the intelligence of all animals should be trusted as the same level as humans, or simply be valued in their own right? Because I think, although I value the complexity of all animals’ and people’s intelligences, there are notable capabilities and incapabilities to be aware of, in animals and in “average people”.

And what are your personal boundaries in an animal able to be mentally mature enough to consent? Where would the gray area be for you, personally? Like, if there was an animal, let’s say a koala, with much lower mental capabilities, but what if they liked to fuck and tries to fuck people. Smooth brain and all, but obviously for good reasons to survive better. Someone might find it sexy, would that somehow seem bad or just ok if the person lets the koala fuck them?

Lol I know that could‘ve been a weird or funny scenario, but I was curious and you don’t need to answer if you don’t want to.

Back