Question for people in California regarding personal experience with adopting dogs from shelters.

For those of you who live in California and adopted your dog from a shelter, is there any way possible to prevent the shelter from fixing your soon to be furever friend? If so, how were you able to do it?

Not from California. But that makes it so sad. A forever friend returning back to a shelter since compatibility issues.

I'm glad they are implementing a anti kill law in Illinois.

(But as for on topic I'm not sure if it's possible)

Pretty sure ALL states require shelters to ensure sterilization once a cat or dog is picked up and put there. The only exception I know of is TAGGED dogs who occasionally escape and get put in dog jail temporarily....and I'm not even sure that happens in all states.

For those of you who live in California and adopted your dog from a shelter, is there any way possible to prevent the shelter from fixing your soon to be furever friend? If so, how were you able to do it?
I think your only hope of getting an intact dog anywhere in the states is to take in a puppy, and bring the dog up from scratch that way. In every single case I have ever heard of, animals are sterilized before they leave any type of shelter or humane society. My husband and I wanted to adopt pretty badly, but ended up raising a puppy we bought through an independent breeder because we didn’t want her mutilated.

Back