• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Neutered male dogs and retained sexual interest poll

How did neutering affect your male dog's sexual desires?

• No or minor effect on sexual desire.

Votes: 21 13.8%
  • Some effect on sexual desire.

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • Major effect on sexual desire

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • Complete or nearly complete end of sexual desire.

Votes: 58 38.2%

• Total voters
It hasn't been too long since Red had to have his testicles completely removed, but I couldn't get him to stop humping things at first. That's not really his typical behavior, even though he is very sexually active. He would not leave me alone one night after it happened, and even though I tried to get him to leave me alone for quite some time, it got to the point where I though he might hurt himself for how hard he was trying, so I just let him do it. He still had staples in, but he did get a full knot, it was actually really good. He seemed pretty content after that, almost like he had something to prove. About a week and a half after that (no staples, healing well) he decided to mount me again while I tried some stuff with the others. It started off well, he did penetrate, but then about halfway through the knot inflating it just stopped. I looked back at him and he seemed a little lost. He pulled out about 35-50 seconds in, but was very happy to be licking/part of the action once dismounted. I'm wondering which way it will go, but I wouldn't be surprised if he became less active.
My boy had to be neutered for health reasons too. It was kind of heartbreaking when he would still try to hump, but his equipment just didn't work the same anymore. That was years ago now and he's still happy and healthy, so I don't worry much about it these days.

I’ve been with 5 dogs both before and after neuter. One kind of lost interest completely afterwards, but he has since gained it back, and will sometimes even go multiple times a day now. One of them lost most interest, he’ll still happily mount and start humping but it’s almost never to completion, he loses interest pretty quickly during the act. One of them I couldn’t tell any difference. One of them isn’t as interested, but when he is, he try’s harder, while before he would hardly ever hump other than an initial thrust or two to get it in, now he usually always does. And one I think is actually more interested now to the point where it’s annoying.

I've been with intact and neutered males and it's very dependent on when the neutering takes place.

A dog who reaches sexual maturity and has time to develop before getting neutered can still retain some of the feelings...on top of that if the dog was sexually active during that time they don't forget the pleasurable feelings that comes with maiting so they sometimes seek it out. This isn't 100% but there is a higher chance in these conditions.

Dogs neutered before sexual maturity or very young will show/have almost no desire in that regard. I'm sure there are exceptions but mostly not.

My boy had to be neutered for health reasons too. It was kind of heartbreaking when he would still try to hump, but his equipment just didn't work the same anymore. That was years ago now and he's still happy and healthy, so I don't worry much about it these days.
It would be a lot easier if there weren't so many other health issues involved. I really try to enjoy every moment with him..

It's hard to watch such an active dog, struggle to come to terms with his own limitations with mobility.

Back