Mythical creatures of the future

T

Tailo

Have you ever realized that in the future animals whom we have the pleasure to share this planet with now will have become almost mythical creatures, because we didn't let them live? It's not just little bugs which you have never heard of that are dying. Big animal species such as the Chinese river dolphin (baiji), the Pyrenean ibex and the Western black rhino have died out just recently. And more are dying out right now due to poaching, pollution and the destruction of ecosystems. People of the future—zoos of the future—will look back at our generation and remember us for having eradicated fascinating animals.

Related comic:

This is a really sad thought for me. Especially concerning dolphins and elephants and intelligent primates, other species that could have shared the planet with us and exchanged valuable perspectives once they evolved enough. But we discovered survival of the fittest at the same time that we started using it as a moral justification...

I think that, once we have managed to start moving people into orbit, it will be increasingly viable to undergo a restoration project to return the Earth to some of its previous biodiversity. I think that the thing to do, for now, is to keep a bank of genetic information.

I know that "humans in space" sounds like a sci-fi story, but it really is just a matter of overcoming current cost-to-benefit factors barring the development of industries there. Right now, we have managed to get to a point where the ISS can be kept in orbit by continual funding by several governments. That was not doable before, and the idea of even having that sounded like fantasy only a generation ago. Because of the research being done on the ISS, though, we're eventually going to start developing industries that are viable in microgravity or even only really viable in microgravity. Once the industries are there, the jobs are going to be there. Once the jobs are there, then it will only be a matter of time before it just seems weird to the people that work at those jobs to go all the way back down into an uncomfortable prehistoric gravity well for...what? To preserve an illusion that we are still living like Neolithic cave men? For bad weather? For occasional life-threatening pandemics?

Picture yourself in your man-cave. You are so used to a low gravity temperature controlled lifestyle that it would seem kind of bizarre and complicated to do things differently from how you have been. You are happy with your manufacturing job, and you like your coworkers and your supervisor. You have money in savings. Your world is gradually getting larger and more interesting. You do not even remember what it feels like for the temperature around you to be something besides 72 degrees Fahrenheit. It feels like you have always lived under simulated gravity just high enough to prevent fluid pressure from building up within your cranium and thereby compromising your vision. Where you are, you are comfortable in the present, and you are mildly optimistic about your future. Now that you have your comfortable and well-furnished man-cave, can you think of even one argument for going back to the political divisiveness and the toxic politics and the bad weather and the constant recurring pandemics of Earth?

I think that it will eventually be a cinch to get people moving into orbit. It's going to have to start with getting viable industries there, but once they are there, there will be a reason for people to want to live there. The jobs will be there. People go where the jobs are.

The only way that we can start restoring the planet's biodiversity is to get human industry into orbit.

Last edited:
the fact of life is one species comes over another.
if humans wont have taking care of themselves and be passive the hunter animals would have expanded on our expenses. human are the only species who has the ability to manage and think about the amount they kill\expand

Have you ever realized that in the future animals whom we have the pleasure to share this planet with now will have become almost mythical creatures, because we didn't let them live? It's not just little bugs which you have never heard of that are dying. Big animal species such as the Chinese river dolphin (baiji), the Pyrenean ibex and the Western black rhino have died out just recently. And more are dying out right now due to poaching, pollution and the destruction of ecosystems. People of the future—zoos of the future—will look back at our generation and remember us for having eradicated fascinating animals.

Related comic:
What’s crazy is, they say 98% of all life that lived on earth went extinct already. We may be next if we don’t turn this shit around.

I’m a believer. But yet again corporate enterprises wins again.
it's not corporate enterprises. it is actually green organizations more.

people like AOC and gratha thumberg talk about shutting down the economie and fossil fuels and divert the conversation from innovation.
goverments and the UN and companies should insative people thorugh giving a high prize for green innovation and that would make it go faster.

google offered a reward of 20 million dollars to who ever can land a prob on the moon and a not professional froup from israel was incredibly close to doing that last year (it ened up crashing due to malfunction)

it's not corporate enterprises. it is actually green organizations more.

people like AOC and gratha thumberg talk about shutting down the economie and fossil fuels and divert the conversation from innovation.
goverments and the UN and companies should insative people thorugh giving a high prize for green innovation and that would make it go faster.

google offered a reward of 20 million dollars to who ever can land a prob on the moon and a not professional froup from israel was incredibly close to doing that last year (it ened up crashing due to malfunction)
I was talking more on what’s being dumped in the ocean or rampant plastic waste or chemical disposal.
You have to put way to much pressure on corporate industrial manufacturing to get them to stop doing shit that’s damaging to the planet.

[...]

The only way that we can start restoring the planet's biodiversity is to get human industry into orbit.

I don't think that it's the only way and saying that it would be is dangerous in my humble opinion, because it works as an apology to continue being reckless as long as industry is not in space or industry in space is not meeting all our needs and wants yet. And while I do believe that there will be industry in space, I do not think that we will leave earth. Some may leave earth, but many will stay.

I don't think that it's the only way and saying that it would be is dangerous in my humble opinion, because it works as an apology to continue being reckless as long as industry is not in space or industry in space is not meeting all our needs and wants yet. And while I do believe that there will be industry in space, I do not think that we will leave earth. Some may leave earth, but many will stay.
I wont abandon my home place without animals isnt a place worth living at all. :cry: screw "survival of the fittest" there has to be a line humans shouldnt cross. Imo space travel is immoral to me due to having to abandon after damaging a planet beyond repair. Fix your homeworld before space traveling.

What’s crazy is, they say 98% of all life that lived on earth went extinct already. We may be next if we don’t turn this shit around.

98 % definitely sounds plausible. To be fair though, most of these 98 % didn't went extinct because of us humans, but because massive volcanic eruptions, meteors, changing climate due to shifting continents and evolution bringing forth better adapted species. We are not even the first species on the way to cause a mass extinction event on earth, but we are the first to understand what we are doing and the first that should be able to reduce our impact and leave room for other life.

I agree that by turning this around, we would also do ourselves a favor.

While I don't think that we're yet bad enough to eradicate ourselves completely, humans have proven at different places on earth that they will destroy their own livelihood, not just that of other animals, until societies crumble, for example through deforestation on Iceland and Easter Island. That may happen on a global scale, too.

the only why is thorugh sience

Science has played its part in creating the problem and will also be part of the solution. But it is not just science. Just like waiting for industry moving to space, saying that science has to solve this is shifting responsibility away. Science is neutral. It is up to us to decide what we do with it, but also what we do without it. We decide and we act. For example, science and engineering may help us filter plastic waste from streams and maybe even from the oceans, but we can also stop throwing plastic waste into nature in the first place. Actually, we should do both: Stop polluting our environment and also invent ways to remove pollution we've already caused and will continue to cause accidentally (e.g. ships will sink in storms and lose their freight).

I was talking more on what’s being dumped in the ocean or rampant plastic waste or chemical disposal.
You have to put way to much pressure on corporate industrial manufacturing to get them to stop doing shit that’s damaging to the planet.

if you stop industry by stoping the action of companies you wont be able to have the means to invent new stuff.

Science has played its part in creating the problem and will also be part of the solution. But it is not just science. Just like waiting for industry moving to space, saying that science has to solve this is shifting responsibility away. Science is neutral. It is up to us to decide what we do with it, but also what we do without it. We decide and we act. For example, science and engineering may help us filter plastic waste from streams and maybe even from the oceans, but we can also stop throwing plastic waste into nature in the first place. Actually, we should do both: Stop polluting our environment and also invent ways to remove pollution we've already caused and will continue to cause accidentally (e.g. ships will sink in storms and lose their freight).

some pollutions are a must - like in producing energy - but if you focus in innovating you wouldn't care about peoples actions because you would have a tool to deal with it.

I think that, in the future, Earth will be one large HOA, where you are not allowed to do anything anymore. If I live to see it, then I will be one of the first people off this rock. I understand why it should be done that way, but I can look at it in pictures.

if you would have a machine that would take care of all of this do you think we would care about uncivilized people littering?
Well, the machine when it comes to just people littering is just a flick of the wrist to get your trash in the can. What’s hard about that? As for factories, if you don’t have the means or plan to clean your shit up don’t build one in the first place.

Well, the machine when it comes to just people littering is just a flick of the wrist to get your trash in the can. What’s hard about that? As for factories, if you don’t have the means or plan to clean your shit up don’t build one in the first place.

it is much easier to have a machine fix things then depending on people being civil

if you stop industry by stoping the action of companies you wont be able to have the means to invent new stuff.

There is no incentive for companies to invent new stuff when you argue that they should continue to do what they do until they have invented new stuff.

In other words: Companies get very creative and innovative when not doing so would hurt them.

There is no incentive for companies to invent new stuff when you argue that they should continue to do what they do until they have invented new stuff.

In other words: Companies get very creative and innovative when not doing so would hurt them.

some of their actions are essential - if you punish them and they wont have ability to survive they wont invent anything because they wont exist.
offer them "honey" by extreme tax brake if they invent good stuff that will benefit society and make them ultra rich and they would have big motivation to succeed.

some of their actions are essential - if you punish them and they wont have ability to survive they wont invent anything because they wont exist.
offer them "honey" by extreme tax brake if they invent good stuff that will benefit society and make them ultra rich and they would have big motivation to succeed.
Littering our planet is not essential and can be easily avoided. Take some responsibility.

I’m a fan of incineration plants if they can be kept clean of air pollution there priority while they produce power for the town’s.
I'm sure there are ways to keep pollution down, but it's not "financially feasible" for them to do so - AKA it takes money out of their bottom line.

98 % definitely sounds plausible. To be fair though, most of these 98 % didn't went extinct because of us humans, but because massive volcanic eruptions, meteors, changing climate due to shifting continents and evolution bringing forth better adapted species. We are not even the first species on the way to cause a mass extinction event on earth, but we are the first to understand what we are doing and the first that should be able to reduce our impact and leave room for other life.

I agree that by turning this around, we would also do ourselves a favor.

While I don't think that we're yet bad enough to eradicate ourselves completely, humans have proven at different places on earth that they will destroy their own livelihood, not just that of other animals, until societies crumble, for example through deforestation on Iceland and Easter Island. That may happen on a global scale, too.
This is currently happening in the Amazons right now. Hell, I even hear some rumors of it being so bad that some people are being shot over it.

push for insentives then - offer people who produce this kind of technology a possibility to become trillioners and see how fast this things would pop up

Back