My new dog constantly humps my arm?

Babiebunnie

Lurker
Hiya! A couple days ago I rescued a small chihuahua mix dog, she’s 2 years old.
well she’s super sweet, loves to cuddle etc etc, but one little thing about her is she likes to jump on my arm and hump/grind herself against my hand. I can’t tell if she’s doing it for pleasure, or what?
shes spayed (just spayed a few weeks ago) but like she does this humping thing allll the time? I’m not sure where I’m going with this but like do you guys think she’s doing this for pleasure or like what? I’m a bit confused lol. I’ve never had a female dog do this! My other female dog (shih tzu) never humped anything at all lol so this is new for me.

It has been my experience that female dogs hump out of dominance and usually only other females. Though I wouldn't just assume it is beyond the realm of possibility for her to just be horny but thrusting a invisible penis seems like an odd thing for a female dog to do.

There's a variety of different reasons she could be doing it. Might be dominance, but I wouldn't automatically assume so. She could be nervous, or excited, or just plain horny. If she's humping excessively there may be something up medically (yeast infection, etc.) though this would most likely be partnered with licking herself excessively and grinding against more than just you. You'd probably have to read her body language and examine the situation leading up to it to tell what her reasoning is.

I would agree that she’s trying to exert dominance. Rescue dogs come from hard lives and it’s in all dogs nature to try and control their situations. I expect as she lives with you it will subside.

A lot of people here are saying dominance, but there is a big problem with that. The "dominance theory" has been debunked a long time ago, and is an incorrect way to view canine behavior.
Here is one of many articles talking about this very thing, with solutions to problem behaviors that people incorrectly relate to "dominance"
I agree with lot that is in there, however I fundamentally disagree with the statement that there is no problem with your dog walking ahead of you. My dog is 80 lbs and is only getting heavier. If I let him walk ahead of me and he decides that he needs to Lunge at something, he's going to put me in physical therapy for eight weeks. It is Impractical and irresponsible to have your dog walking ahead of you small or large. When a dog is walking ahead of you and sees something to lunge at, you have a lot less time and space to correct the behavior than if you had them beside you. If they decide to Lunge, you either have to let them dislocate your shoulder or if they're small enough yank them like a yo-yo back towards you. Either way, it's not fun for either party. I don't think it is very responsible of the association to imply it is not a big deal to let your dog walk ahead of you. It may not be about dominance, but it sure is about safety for you, the dog and others.

I agree with lot that is in there, however I fundamentally disagree with the statement that there is no problem with your dog walking ahead of you. My dog is 80 lbs and is only getting heavier. If I let him walk ahead of me and he decides that he needs to Lunge at something, he's going to put me in physical therapy for eight weeks. It is Impractical and irresponsible to have your dog walking ahead of you small or large. When a dog is walking ahead of you and sees something to lunge at, you have a lot less time and space to correct the behavior than if you had them beside you. If they decide to Lunge, you either have to let them dislocate your shoulder or if they're small enough yank them like a yo-yo back towards you. Either way, it's not fun for either party. I don't think it is very responsible of the association to imply it is not a big deal to let your dog walk ahead of you. It may not be about dominance, but it sure is about safety for you, the dog and others.
I agree, you are totally right, but I think in the context of the article they were relating it to "dominance behaviors"

Back