Manual or automatic?

What do you prefer to drive? Manual or Automatic?

• manual

Votes: 194 70.5%
  • automatic

Votes: 81 29.5%

• Total voters
Never gonna happen....mfrs would prefer it, Im sure. But as long as there's snow, and mud, and roads up one side of the mountains and down the other, Well....they didn't dub it "Standard" por nada, amigo.

Manual transmissions are on their way to the graveyard. It's a fact to face.

I started learning to drive in an old Impreza that was a 5 speed stick, but it got wrecked in a snowstorm and we got an automatic to replace it, which is the car I'm now finishing learning to drive in. I like both the automatic and manual in their own ways, but like @Americanmuscle said, if I had to pick just one and I could have any car I wanted with it, I'd go with manual. I'm hoping I can make enough money to afford multiple cars with both automatic and manual transmissions.

Well I like both for different reasons for each one of them . I like manual because I can play like a small kid with the gears and stuff but automatic is more comftable especially for the work I do. Just to mention I am taxi driver and my taxi and my personal car is both manual :) . My taxi is toyota avensis 2005 with 1.3 milion kilometers on his engine

I dont really enjoy driving so any part that I can automate and afford, is going to be automated. Not having to think about shifting gears/not having to free a hand to do so means a lot less hassle while driving for me.

My first car was an MG. I think it was a 5 speed but I can’t remember that detail. It was a convertible and a blast to drive!!!

I begin all manual, pushing the stick in the right position, and then I drive automatic, sometimes kick-down, to feel the extra vibrations.
And letting all out when reaching the destination. Then slowing down and at last pulling the stick and back to manual again.

And padding my lovely cow. It was about cows ? or cars ? 🤔🥴🐄

I learned to drive in an old Chevy 5 speed pickup. I only own one car that is not a manual, and it is my show car so I rarely drive it. Whenever I drive someone else’s automatic my left foot is constantly looking for a clutch pedal that is not there.

Don't have a car (or license for that matter), but would only drive an automatic. I remember hearing that manual transmission is slowly being phased out and will eventually become obsolete. Which is good as it'd be one less distraction
Personally, I think every driver should have to learn on and demonstrate skills with a standard shift vehicle. If you can only drive an automatic, you cant drive

I can definitely drive manual.

You have a spare gearbox in your garage, right? Just asking, no particular reason...

I can definitely drive manual.

You have a spare gearbox in your garage, right? Just asking, no particular reason...
That took me a second and then my brain processed what you were really saying and it cracked me up.

Just get yourself a little Nash Rambler, then you won't have to worry.

Manual, but then I do most my driving on a motorbike. When I drive a car it's usually cause its snowing, or good chance of that. Manual gives more control imo. Rarely have to hit the brake, just shift down if needed

Automatic, but I've signed up for trucker school so that may change soon.
Gotta update this. After getting my CDL I can confidently say I loath manual transmissions. Nothing more unnerving then starting uphill from a dead stop, missing the timing, stalling out and rolling backwards with +20,000lbs under you.

I started out in an automatic but when I got my first taste of driving a big truck I fell in love with manual shift. I used to drive an 18 speed tanker truck for about 10 years! Loved that truck too!

Don't know how to drive manual...so automatic by default XD

I'm also not a car guy so I don't really care to much lol.

Man this thread rose up from the grave like Lazarus.
That being said, I've never had the chance to drive a manual. It's something I'd like to learn how to do. So by default I'm forced to choose automatic

Back