Looking to adopt

Hello all, I’ve been putting in research lately into adopting a companion. I figured it might be a good idea to see what people here might have for advice as well.

Adopt if you can/want to unless you are wanting a specific breed with papers an such. Never a bad idea to get a dog from a shelter or other such place/person that has dogs that's looking to get rid of them.

Hello all, I’ve been putting in research lately into adopting a companion. I figured it might be a good idea to see what people here might have for advice as well.
Adoption is always an extremely good idea. There are way too many animals euthanized each year. So, kudos to you for even considering this option. (y)

Having said that, if you're looking to have a dog to have sex with, then this will need more research on your part as to whether they require the animal to be spayed/neutered. Almost all places here in the USA require this, without exception. And I feel it's safe to assume that you may have an interest in having sex with your new animal or you wouldn't have asked this here on ZooVille.

If this is the case, then I would strongly caution you against "adopting" as this renders 99% of the animals uninterested/unable to have sex once they are spayed/neutered. Given this, consider CraigsList.org . I have had very good results with that site. Like anything, you have to be well informed when getting animals from total strangers, but with good, basic knowledge, you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps... 🐕

Last edited:
I mean, adopting is always good, not much to it other than find a dog that fits, and if you're able, find a dog that needs you. Sure everyone wants a cute puppy, but if you think you have the experience and patience to adopt a dog that is less likely to get adopted then please do.

I plan to get mine from a good working line breeder so he'd stay intact. He'd be a working dog anyway since he'll be out on my south african farm. Lots of working line breeders now advocate for intact dogs due to health issues w neutering..... vasectomies FTW lmao

Rescues will NEVER sell intact dogs since they're all about keeping the stray population as low as possible. They need to catch up with the science tho. The only reason most don't perform vasectomies even though it has zero ill drawbacks are bc its uncommon.

I plan to get mine from a good working line breeder so he'd stay intact. He'd be a working dog anyway since he'll be out on my south african farm. Lots of working line breeders now advocate for intact dogs due to health issues w neutering..... vasectomies FTW lmao

Rescues will NEVER sell intact dogs since they're all about keeping the stray population as low as possible. They need to catch up with the science tho. The only reason most don't perform vasectomies even though it has zero ill drawbacks are bc its uncommon.
I will never EVER in my life spay or neuter another dog. My girl now being so old has several health issue directly attributed to me having her spayed and I feel like such a dumb ass for doing it. Urinary incontinence being the most prevalent.

I will never EVER in my life spay or neuter another dog. My girl now being so old has several health issue directly attributed to me having her spayed and I feel like such a dumb ass for doing it. Urinary incontinence being the most prevalent.

I tend to leave them as they are, but bitches are more complicated. I tend to spay bitches as they get older depending on the risk of pyometra and other issues in the breed. For example I'd spay a dane before 8 but a lab around 12 and depending on the lineage history, perhaps later or not at all; a rottweiler I'd he hessitant to spay until the risks of pyometra outweigh the risks of osteosarcoma and related cancers that tend to increase in risk with neutering. Risks of pyo, mamary cancer and other issues are typically inherited, so it's important to look at the breed as a whole and the specific lineage and judge from there. Aside from situations where it's necessary for immediate health concerns, I would not consider neutering before the age of 3.

Incontinence is sadly not terribly uncommon, have you tried estrogen, PPA, or some of the other treatments?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to leave them as they are, but bitches are more complicated. I tend to spay bitches as they get older depending on the risk of pyometra and other issues in the breed. For example I'd spay a dane before 8 but a lab around 12 and depending on the lineage history, perhaps later or not at all; a rottweiler I'd he hessitant to spay until the risks of pyometra outweigh the risks of osteosarcoma and related cancers that tend to increase in risk with neutering. Risks of pyo, mamary cancer and other issues are typically inherited, so it's important to look at the breed as a whole and the specific lineage and judge from there. Aside from situations where it's necessary for immediate health concerns, I would not consider neutering before the age of 3.

Incontinence is sadly not terribly uncommon, have you tried estrogen, PPA, or some of the other treatments?
Good advice. I'll be looking into this heavily if the time comes to get a new boy or girl.

Please do not adopt to have sex with the animal. Make sure you're able to provide a loving home first, happy animal is the best companion you can ask for.

Please do not adopt to have sex with the animal.
I must politely disagree here. I know this may sound bad to some, so please allow me to clarify.

Because I have an above average male member, I choose my companions accordingly. It would be irresponsible of me to get a dog that's too small for me. I'd like to use an analogy here: Just like human couples, if one is horny all the time and the other is a walking freezer unit, then they are unequally matched, which often causes them to breakup.

Sex, for many couples, is a key component to their relationship. The very same is true for me with my companion, my sweet dog, my lover.
Make sure you're able to provide a loving home first, happy animal is the best companion you can ask for.
Yes, yes, yes!!! This is absolutely golden. Even when a person gets an animal strictly to have sex with, they must always "provide a loving home first." Because, like you say, "a happy animal is the best companion you can ask for." So yes, I always get a dog with the explicit reason to have sex with her. And, as a responsible owner, I am 100% obligated by my own moral code to provide her with the very best home possible, with love and compassion for all of her needs, wants and desires. She must come 1st. I have found time and time again that, when I do this, she is very willing and eager to fulfill my needs as well. 🐕

I agree one should not get a dog if their sole reason for wanting a dog is sex, but I don't see anything wrong with sex being part of the selection criteria. There's nothing wrong with wanting sexual compatability in a partner, on the contrary it's frequently a very important criteria for most people. Of the people you know who are in relationships, how many of those do you think would have continued the relationship if sex wasn't an option? Few? Any?

I like to see people getting dogs because they like dogs; there's always a chance they won't be interested in sex, health issues can develop that ruin a sexual relationship, and they age faster than we do and for a senior sex is often more pain than pleasure. I feel a zoo accepts these as possibilities and understands that loyalty is a two-way street.

Back