Interesting historical tidbit

tastyknot

Tourist
Was reading up some accounts on Wikipedia about zoophilia in history and came across this interesting set of laws.

"c. 1,300 BCEc. 1,201 BCE – The Hittite laws are written for the Hittite Empire, which punished male bestiality with a pig, a dog, or a cow with capital punishment, while male bestiality with a horse or a mule only prohibited the man from approaching the king or becoming a priest.[1][2]"

I find it really interesting that horses or mules got the okay but not if you were thinking about a serious religious profession haha

Possibly the Hittite laws were framed that way because back then..equines were "High Status" animals ..only the rich and powerful could affords to keep them. I suspects it's an early example of- "One Law for the Rich, another for everyone else"
Interesting! The law is written almost like it has some one specific in mind. Like the king to be was good friends with someone but hated his post horse love oder. Being how much horse lovers here seem to adore that smell and resist bathing for it, I can only assume similar things had happened. If they were rich enough for a well kept horse I would imagine they also had semi annual access to a bath house or something similar.

Back