I feel dirty, I'm buying an iPhone

I personally enjoy apple products, but are you sure an IPhone is the best for you? Are there no other options? Samsungs have some good features as well. They’re not my cup of tea, but I’m sure there’s plenty of things they can do that IPhones can’t. Or even other brands that have some good features like the LGs. You shouldn’t have to buy something you’re against.

(Also IPhone 12 are fuckin huge. Even I would hate to lug that thing around all day. Well, unless you’re getting the mini.)

I have been rabidly anti-Apple for a long time, now circumstances force me to switch carriers and it seems the iPhone 12 Pro is the best deal for the features i want in a phone...

This is a bit disconcerting for me
I'm anti-Apple, but I do run dual phones with my Android my main+business phone and my ancient iPhone4 my travel and PayGo "Burner" for apps/dating sites. It can be useful.

I personally enjoy apple products, but are you sure an IPhone is the best for you? Are there no other options? Samsungs have some good features as well. They’re not my cup of tea, but I’m sure there’s plenty of things they can do that IPhones can’t. Or even other brands that have some good features like the LGs. You shouldn’t have to buy something you’re against.

(Also IPhone 12 are fuckin huge. Even I would hate to lug that thing around all day. Well, unless you’re getting the mini.)
Problem is,,since i now have to go with a contract, i have to get one of the phones they offer. Based upon what they have to choose from (for the price) the iPhone pro has better memory, camera and screen resolution than the Androids that are comparable.

I take a shit-ton of pictures, so that low light camera capability is a major selling point

Apple is a cancer to technology.
*Apple* is not the cancer - The cancer is the bullshit policies that started coming into being when the Macintosh was introduced.

Back in the days of the Apple II, it was hard to get any more "open" than Apple - Buy an Apple IIe, and it came standard with a nice spiral-bound book that included basically *EVERYTHING* you could possibly want to know about the machine, right down the fully annotated schematics for every bit of the machine, including the motherboard, and the fully commented source code for the ROMs. Buy an Apple disk drive, you got all the tech-info needed to literally rebuild it from the ground up, and all the info needed to adjust it to perfect functionality.

These days, though, Apple has turned into a completely closed ecosystem where *NOTHING* can be serviced by the owner beyond the "spray windex on a lint-free cloth and wipe the screen" level.

Hell, it's even impossible to put *CODE YOU WRITE* onto an iPhone *YOU OWN* without "asking permission" from Apple (in the form of a costs-to-get developer key that you have to pay for every year - don't pay? Your app refuses to work at all - for EVERYBODY.)

On the flip side, Apple gear damn near always "just works" unless it's physically broken - Buy an Apple <insert widget here> and plug it into your <insert existing Apple product here> and whatever it is starts doing whatever it is that it's supposed to do, and keeps on doing it until the power dies or you take a sledgehammer to it, whichever comes first.

do they still make new generations of phones with different charger ports than the last for no reason besides "fuck you"? i kinda stopped caring about iphones since they decided headphone jack port is unnecessary

do they still make new generations of phones with different charger ports than the last for no reason besides "fuck you"? i kinda stopped caring about iphones since they decided headphone jack port is unnecessary
The latest I know about is the "Lightning" connector that's been the standard for iPhones since either the 6 or the 7 - I'd have to look it up to be sure which.

As far as the headphone jack going away, that burned my cookies, too - back when I was still using hardware that needed it. (My old Gen-5 iPod Nano) until aftermarket Bluetooth audio stuff started showing up - Ever since "discovering" the Wal-mart "ONN" branded Bluetooth headsets going for about 6-8 bucks each, depending on the specific model, I've stopped being butt-hurt about it. Something to do with not needing to spend more than 10 bucks for decent-quality (no, not concert hall or audiophile level - and what a complete *WASTE* that level of quality would be, as far as I'm concerned) sound out of a "disposable-priced" wireless device (as opposed to the *INSANELY* overpriced Apple "airpods" that, at least at first, were going for more than 80 bucks a pop) tickles me just as pink as anyone might like.

With my line of work, buying a set of airpods would be APPROXIMATELY the same as setting the cash on fire - I'm *ALWAYS* managing to lose the ONN headsets to something or other, be it bending over to scrub a water tank and having them go swimming (instant, irrevocable death - I have yet to get a set of them that's met that fate back to operational status) or being flung who-knows-where (and/or getting stomped on) due to sudden motions required to keep *ME* from being damaged while handling one of the critters, and so on, my use of headsets REQUIRES that they be cheap and easy to replace. Back in the days of the old iPod I mentioned, that meant settling for the cheapest of cheap junk, which meant loss of a bunch of functionality that I considered important, and even the cheap ones still ran in the $15+ range. Nowdays, I keep a pile of the $7 ONN units on standby charge, and when the set I'm using runs out of battery, plug it in and grab the next one, or if I kill/lose a set... <shrug> So what - there's another one just waiting for me to pull it off the charge cable and turn it on.

Edit for typos...

Last edited:
I've had apple since I was little, and I can say, modern apple is absolute dogshit. They have progressively gotten worse in terms of quality, innovation, and business practices. I'd say after the Iphone 6s, that's when it REALLY started to dip. I have an ipad mini from 2014 and it's still going strong, but my 2.5 year old phone heats up like a nuclear reactor.

I have been rabidly anti-Apple for a long time, now circumstances force me to switch carriers and it seems the iPhone 12 Pro is the best deal for the features i want in a phone...

This is a bit disconcerting for me
How fucking dare you! Grab a phone like mine. Ooen to all carriers except sprints cdma, 11000 mah battery (lasts me minimum 3 days on charge, and works like a champ... For about 200 bucks. Gotta order it online though. Its a china phone. Screenshot_20210612-205357.png

Problem is,,since i now have to go with a contract, i have to get one of the phones they offer. Based upon what they have to choose from (for the price) the iPhone pro has better memory, camera and screen resolution than the Androids that are comparable.

I take a shit-ton of pictures, so that low light camera capability is a major selling point
There are some chinese and US made models with true infrared night vision, one that has thermal imaging, and tons of others ranging from 150 to 600 contract free. If you want, i can send links through tele, but will be tomorrow. Gotta hit the sack :)

Welcome to the club. People got problems with iPhone but let me tell you. Best kind of phone coverage you can get on when it comes to the care plan. The one I had before got completely smashed less then 2 months of having it. However the plan covered me almost completely. All I paid was 100 buck plus 40 for the new glass screen protective cover and my past phone payments carried over to a phone that was completely new.

*Apple* is not the cancer - The cancer is the bullshit policies that started coming into being when the Macintosh was introduced.

Back in the days of the Apple II, it was hard to get any more "open" than Apple - Buy an Apple IIe, and it came standard with a nice spiral-bound book that included basically *EVERYTHING* you could possibly want to know about the machine, right down the fully annotated schematics for every bit of the machine, including the motherboard, and the fully commented source code for the ROMs. Buy an Apple disk drive, you got all the tech-info needed to literally rebuild it from the ground up, and all the info needed to adjust it to perfect functionality.

These days, though, Apple has turned into a completely closed ecosystem where *NOTHING* can be serviced by the owner beyond the "spray windex on a lint-free cloth and wipe the screen" level.

Hell, it's even impossible to put *CODE YOU WRITE* onto an iPhone *YOU OWN* without "asking permission" from Apple (in the form of a costs-to-get developer key that you have to pay for every year - don't pay? Your app refuses to work at all - for EVERYBODY.)

On the flip side, Apple gear damn near always "just works" unless it's physically broken - Buy an Apple <insert widget here> and plug it into your <insert existing Apple product here> and whatever it is starts doing whatever it is that it's supposed to do, and keeps on doing it until the power dies or you take a sledgehammer to it, whichever comes first.
I used to be classed as an apple evangelist I made a living out of sorting out peoples problems with them back around 2000, but these days the company is nothing more than a glorified toaster factory. They don't even give you a disc with the operating system on these days. Which is fine you can down load the OS off the internet if you have a spare machine available to help fix the first machine. Well that is if your not trying to reinstall the OS that came with an older machine because they don't let you download anything other than the latest OS which would kill an older Mac. Oops got a bit off track there. But despite having 11 Macs in the house one of which is from 1985 and still works fine (for nostalgic games from my childhood) I have never had an iphone, just Samsungs.

There are some chinese and US made models with true infrared night vision, one that has thermal imaging, and tons of others ranging from 150 to 600 contract free. If you want, i can send links through tele, but will be tomorrow. Gotta hit the sack :)
The original is Cat S60. I've got an S61 (current model) and it's damned handy. It also works underwater and lots of other neat ideas. They run $800 unlocked. If you want to even think about this subject on your phone, do NOT buy anything but unlocked.

The latest I know about is the "Lightning" connector that's been the standard for iPhones since either the 6 or the 7 - I'd have to look it up to be sure which.

As far as the headphone jack going away, that burned my cookies, too - back when I was still using hardware that needed it. (My old Gen-5 iPod Nano) until aftermarket Bluetooth audio stuff started showing up - Ever since "discovering" the Wal-mart "ONN" branded Bluetooth headsets going for about 6-8 bucks each, depending on the specific model, I've stopped being butt-hurt about it. Something to do with not needing to spend more than 10 bucks for decent-quality (no, not concert hall or audiophile level - and what a complete *WASTE* that level of quality would be, as far as I'm concerned) sound out of a "disposable-priced" wireless device (as opposed to the *INSANELY* overpriced Apple "airpods" that, at least at first, were going for more than 80 bucks a pop) tickles me just as pink as anyone might like.

With my line of work, buying a set of airpods would be APPROXIMATELY the same as setting the cash on fire - I'm *ALWAYS* managing to lose the ONN headsets to something or other, be it bending over to scrub a water tank and having them go swimming (instant, irrevocable death - I have yet to get a set of them that's met that fate back to operational status) or being flung who-knows-where (and/or getting stomped on) due to sudden motions required to keep *ME* from being damaged while handling one of the critters, and so on, my use of headsets REQUIRES that they be cheap and easy to replace. Back in the days of the old iPod I mentioned, that meant settling for the cheapest of cheap junk, which meant loss of a bunch of functionality that I considered important, and even the cheap ones still ran in the $15+ range. Nowdays, I keep a pile of the $7 ONN units on standby charge, and when the set I'm using runs out of battery, plug it in and grab the next one, or if I kill/lose a set... <shrug> So what - there's another one just waiting for me to pull it off the charge cable and turn it on.

Edit for typos...
Dollar General has a reliable bluetooth headset for a sawbuck. Only issue is Up time is only about 3 hrs between charges. It charges fast. Thats my backup....The stereo wraparound I bought for 10 bucks at Biglots is a workhorse and use time exceeds 24 hours....

Last edited:
Please do, as long as they will work on Verizon

A buddy of mine who owns a company and can afford anything he wants, gave up on iPhone bloat (his words) and went to a MotoG: saved hundreds and it does everything he wants from a phone.

My Go To resource for researching all kinds of electronics is Cnet.com. To paraphrase, get an iPhone if you want the best camera on the market; if not, get a Samsung (my daughters wouldn't use anything else). Cnet also likes the MotoG for mid-range/mid-performance phones.

Me? I'm a Blackberry guy: don't give a damn about phone cameras and all the other smartphone crap I don't use BUT I care a lot about a real keyboard. If/when the 5G line is launched, I'll switch carriers if I have to; that's how hooked I am on a real keyboard.

And therein lies the so-called Bottom-line: get the phone that does what you want it to and the hell with what the rest of us think!

Last edited:
A buddy of mine who owns a company and can afford anything he wants, gave up on iPhone bloat (his words) and went to a MotoG: saved hundreds and it does everything he wants from a phone.

My Go To resource for researching all kinds of electronics is Cnet.com. To paraphrase, get an iPhone if you want the best camera on the market; if not, get a Samsung (my daughters wouldn't use anything else). Cnet also likes the MotoG for mid-range/mid-performance phones.

Me? I'm a Blackberry guy: don't give a damn about phone cameras and all the other smartphone crap I don't use BUT I care a lot about a real keyboard. If/when the 5G line is launched, I'll switch carriers if I have to; that's how hooked I am on a real keyboard.

And therein lies the so-called Bottom-line: get the phone that does what you want it to and the hell with what the rest of us think!
Someone told me to look into One Plus, they have the One Plus 8 available, which looks like it might be a good choice

Please do, as long as they will work on Verizon
That is going to limit your options and may end them before too long. Several manufacturers have declined to produce a product for a "small regional carrier". Verizon admits that their standard is going to be replaced by the much more popular GSM some day.

That is going to limit your options and may end them before too long. Several manufacturers have declined to produce a product for a "small regional carrier". Verizon admits that their standard is going to be replaced by the much more popular GSM some day.
The phone will work with verizon. They are triple band. The cdma sprint is available but it will only work on that one.

Update, their new model with night vision is 6 band. Will even work on cdma.

Last edited:
The phone will work with verizon. They are triple band. The cdma sprint is available but it will only work on that one.

Update, their new model with night vision is 6 band. Will even work on cdma.
Be sure that you understand that FLIR and night vision are NOT the same thing. There are FLIR add-ons for any phone but I have the only phone with built in FLIR and the "small regional carrier" quote came from the manufacturer of that phone.

I find FLIR more useful. For example, I recently used it to check temperature on some welds.

Be sure that you understand that FLIR and night vision are NOT the same thing. There are FLIR add-ons for any phone but I have the only phone with built in FLIR and the "small regional carrier" quote came from the manufacturer of that phone.

I find FLIR more useful. For example, I recently used it to check temperature on some welds.
They have it, but in a different brand. Just search for the specific thing you want on amazon and the phones will pop up.

I think it's by ulephone according to amazon, but it's not something i need so i haven't researched it.

android and iphones are both good and bad in there own ways. in my opinion, having a preference is just a personal thought and has nothing to do with the phone. the fact we fight over it is usually just based off of marketing schemes. so go with whatever your heart desires!

I've never been an apple fan at all since the Mac. The damn things resist any and all attempts to customize them to do what I need them to or upgrade them. My boss is in love with Apple products, so a few years back I got an iPhone 6s for a work phone. Hated it. I just kept my mouth shut until it was time to replace it. Now we run specific apps for corporate including a custom walkie-talkie app, none of which work on iOS.

My current work phone is an oddball ultra-ruggedized model. It runs an archaic version of Android, but it works OK. Some of the other guys have CAT phones (S31's and S41's) and they misbehave with frightening regularity. Mine just keeps chugging along. Not going to mention the model 'cause it's special for the company I work for.

For personal phones, I have run Androids since they've been out there. Except for one Nokia Windows phone that somebody gave me. That one worked well, it had Office on it and the camera was great. The apps available for it were rather limited, though.

I'm an old guy, so I'm on Consumer Cellular. I get it cheap through AARP and I don't need to pay for a bunch of stuff I'll never use. I don't buy their phones. I get my phones direct from Samsung, mostly because of their trade-in program. I get a new phone every few years for a fraction of what I'd pay elsewhere. As long as I don't manage to destroy it. I currently have an S20, which, BTW, does not have a headphone jack. I always buy unlocked phones because they will work with any carrier, anywhere in the world. The S20 has all the bands, even millimeter wave 5G, (which we don't have here in the North Woods).

The one thing I hate about Samsung is the stupid Bixby personal assistant. It's way more annoying than it is useful. You hit the wrong button and it jumps out at you. You used to be able to completely disable it, but not anymore. It wants to be Siri, I guess, but does a poor job at it.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Last edited:
I have used apple for years and will continue to because I like how simple they are. But I can admit that the batteries are shit lol.

I love the way apple products work together, i just hate the spyware.

Back