How to discreetly keep a dog "intact"?

simple, just ask them why you should and aply common sense over their answers = they´ll be questioning themselves about neutering dogs...
and remember truth is everything that can be proved, otherwise its useless chattering

I just say that I couldn't do it to him and he behaves fine with them. However, I really don't get questioned much.

My plan for the future is to live by myself with a dog and live happily ever after, but my friends and family would definitely question me or my morals if I never neutered my dog. How do you get around this?
This is my same concern.

I don't get it how this is even a conversation.

Here in Germany 80% of dogs are intact if not more and Noone asks any of these questions ever.

Just tell them you never would do unneccesarry harm to your dog, and if they start to discuss how beneficial and good it is, just tell them: "if it has so mutch benefits, why you still have your balls? You make it sound like there is nothing better, yet you are still here in front of me instead of speeding to the next doc to get yourself neutred."

Just leave him intact and don’t worry about it. I have never had anyone really ask me anything about my dog and why he is intact.

I think it is natural, normal and healthy to leave dogs intact regardless of any sexual discussion or thoughts.

My plan for the future is to live by myself with a dog and live happily ever after, but my friends and family would definitely question me or my morals if I never neutered my dog. How do you get around this?
You tell them that its your dog and that you believe its abuse to get a male dog fixed

The main question I would ask is: what is your goal, and why do you care?

If you want to save your breath, tell people it’s your dog and you’re in charge. Anything that remotely sounds like trying to justify yourself is just an opening for people to try and thrust their preferences and beliefs upon you. Many will not hesitate to add a flavor of guilt / shame to try and make you comply, even if they cannot explain why you should.

If you’re willing to invest time in it, have constructive conversations, and convince them... ask them why they think it’s something that should be done. If they do not demonstrate knowledge and instead suggest it’s a strong belief of this “being the right thing”, dig into it till you reach more substance. When they provide arguments, find the truth and if they are incorrect (or the reality is unknown) gently explain how and provide sources.

Being an owner means you’re watching after your animals and ensuring their safety as well as basic training.
Neutering isn’t the default in many european countries, and the vast majority of dog owners there aren’t swimming in unwanted puppies.
There are people who regret neutering their pet because their behavior changed forever, and they weren’t “themselves” in a way.
Some people believe it makes dogs agressive because of signs in park suggesting “no unneutered dogs”, it’s actually the opposite: neutered dogs can be fearful of unneutered ones, and fear is a cause of agressivity (you can find scientific literature for the full story).

There are endless themes to be explored, my point here is that you can show that it is a decision that should be informed -- and that you are informed.

Some people cannot be convinced by even trivially demonstrable truths, some people are willing to discuss and accept nuance, and some people can be swung the other way by yelling your convictions louder than they do. Use your best social judgement, and remember that most people are reasonable (most people aren’t on twitter, most people aren’t loudly angry at the world or at differences, etc. the majority is silent).

Some are also afraid of discovering going with the flow (either socially, or because the vet suggested it, or whatever else) on an irreversible decision wasn’t a good idea. It’s very unpleasant to discover, understand, and accept that type of things.

ive just told family and friends i want to one day breed my dog and let him have a litter of his own. but then i never get around to finding him a mate

So, people have been questioning me and my wife why our dog isn't neutered. I tell them because I don't want to. If they say it's better for them and they live longer, I ask how? Some say it prevents cancer. I ask what kind of cancer? If they can answer it, it's usually some form of reproductive cancer. I usually respond with "if you cut your tits off, you reduce your risk of breast cancer. If you removed your cervix, you reduce your risk for cervical cancer, if you cut your balls off you reduce your risk for testicular cancer." If you remove any body part that type cancer is less likely to happen.

Another thing they may say is to stop the possibility of getting pregnat. Because my dog ( a 100 percent full blooded silver lab, yes we have the family line and DNA test), we said if we want to breed him he will need his balls, since people want silver labs. FYI, silver labs are actually chocolate labs with a ressive gean that makes their coat very light, looking gray or silver. But if thats not the reason for you, you can say you are taking steps to avoid that from happening.

Overall, you have various things to say. But my most go-to is "because I don't want to."

Good luck.

I have an intact male. He's 2 and very well behaved. I have not had a best friend like him since I was a sexually budding teen. Times and opions have changed. Not surprised but just saying, as I have been asked often. Commercial sitter daycare places treat my inact boy different and isolate him. Not going there again. I was unhappy to find out that he spent the day kenneled and alone. I will not be swayed by present ideology. I hope to see signage one day saying "Intact Friendly".

lol I have my vet doctor telling me to neuter my doggo including my fam. They would throw negative reasons why I should get my dog neuter. At first I tell them I’ll do it when he’s at least 2 YO. Eventually, I just shunned everyone and tell them I just want my dog to feel free and do reverse psychology on them saying how would you like it if I neuter your balls? LMAO

Other backup reason I would say will be that my family is against it NQA, that will mostly prevent any other questions from your vet doctor.

ve been wondering about this too. Our vet is really pressuring us to get our GSD neutered. Every time we go in for something they try to make an appointment for his neuter.

lol I have my vet doctor telling me to neuter my doggo including my fam.

Thought about getting a less obsesive vet?

It is OK that they ask/advice you about it and what are the benefits (and pissible problems)
But once you told them you are ok as he is, they should not be pushy.

I would actually ask them if they have spotted any medical condition that makes that not be an unnecessary surgery. If not, then, if ain't broken, don't "fix" him 🤷

My rxperience is my vet is fine with it, never asked except one time I asked to cut something else and on a first midunderstunding I was asked "so you do want to have him fixed". I said, "no, no..."
*pauses while thinking*
should follow with the "I only need to have the nails trimmed" ?
I didn't, as it was not the case, and not really fond to need to explain bestiality punchline jokes to my vet.

it’s funny how all the vets I go to in my area, they’re mostly female doctors telling me to neuter my dog. Like I did ask what’s the pro and cons for neutering and most of the time they just talk about the pro which is the usual “live longer, less aggressive, less marking territory, etc.”
Thought about getting a less obsesive vet?

It is OK that they ask/advice you about it and what are the benefits (and pissible problems)
But once you told them you are ok as he is, they should not be pushy.

I would actually ask them if they have spotted any medical condition that makes that not be an unnecessary surgery. If not, then, if ain't broken, don't "fix" him 🤷

My rxperience is my vet is fine with it, never asked except one time I asked to cut something else and on a first midunderstunding I was asked "so you do want to have him fixed". I said, "no, no..."
*pauses while thinking*
should follow with the "I only need to have the nails trimmed" ?
I didn't, as it was not the case, and not really fond to need to explain bestiality punchline jokes to my vet.

it’s funny how all the vets I go to in my area, they’re mostly female doctors telling me to neuter my dog. Like I did ask what’s the pro and cons for neutering and most of the time they just talk about the pro which is the usual “live longer, less aggressive, less marking territory, etc.”
Indeed, that what I dislike about these attitude.

I am not against neutering myself, as it can sometimes be positive, even necesary depending on the situation.

But I insist INSIST vets, as professionals, should inform about the positive, but also the negative as well as the risks, maybe advice as for their living and situation, and then let the owners take their own INFORMED decision.

I mean I've literally heard people tell me their dog was operated a week back, and the do not see a behaviour change. 🙄

Also people in a city apartment with virtually no accidental pregnancy risk, working at day, need to leave the dog there for most of the day and... big problem cause their spayed dog seems not hold piss for long.

Sorry for almost-offtopic rant, but taking the dog for walkies gets to teach people many intensive biology courses 😅

Last edited:
Why would you be seen as "immoral"? We have four un-neutered boys and no one has ever asked why they aren't. Yes, we live in a farming community, but we are not farmers, no one has ever asked the question. I'd love to hear your friends' and family's reasons. Perhaps they don't understand?

I’ve never really gotten a question from my vet on either of my 2 boys. But I have had other people ask with y I didn’t get either one neutered and I just simply say I don’t see a need to have it done.

I've never had an issue, usually the vet asks the first time they see the dog, we talk about pros and cons, and I tell them that I monitor them and will consult with them if/when that looks to be necessary. In decades of dealing with a lot of vets I've never had a problem.

They tend to suggest it because the average dog owner is an uninformed moron and it tends to save problems down the line. I think the key is being informed on the pros and cons. I talk to my vet about the information I learn, partly because I want their opinion as a professional (I am not a vet) and partly because I understand that it is impossible to keep up to date on all aspects veterinary care, even for a professional.

if you really want to give an explanation, say you did a vasectomy or tube ligature. It's still an uncommon procedure, but I hope it will gain popularity by spreading the information.

If they are so nosy simply say: if the dog in the long run is wonderful, i may stud him and have puppies to let him live on.
In my experience people sputter and them get all ohh thats so sweeeet.
Not the best idea to spread backyard breeding in my opinion lol

Back