How do you spoil your mates?

JazzyPaws

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
What's something you do for your mates, that others may consider a little "extra" or spoiled?

This is for owners present or past and should not include sex stuff. This post is, hopefully, gonna be a wholesome, heart gushing, pit of sunshine and happiness.

For my mates it's the "special meal day" we do each week. One day a week the dog food goes away and out comes the fun stuff. Beefy meatballs, doggy safe burgers and fries, pasta and meat (without sauce, cause there's too much in premade, and I'm bad at cooking), usually that's also the day the special treats come out, carob based "dog chocolate" treats, you name it.

You should see the pupils blow when they see what's been cooking for them. The paws go nuts, even sitting still they are basically vibrating.

usually leaving them out of the fridge for too long.

MATES! sorry, I thought it said grapes

But when I had my pup she used to love getting brushed.
Mind you, she had short hair and didn't really shed, so there wasn't much of a real reason to brush her that often
But I would, because she liked it :)

If I end up spending holidays with just my two doggy girls I'll usually grill a steak and share it with them. I'll season my portion and leave theirs unseasoned. They absolutely love it! In fact, I grilled a nice big t-bone steak for Easter and shared it with them. I cut their portion into bite sized pieces and rinsed it off before giving it to them.

Seeing my dog's eye brighten up as to say "Really!? This is for me????" Brings a big smile on my face and warms my heart!

Where to start!?!?
I had a German shepherd/husky/wolf cross that we learned rather quickly just could not tolerate any kind of dog food without getting the squirts.
On a whim, I starred cooking for him and the problem cleared up.

He got to the point where if I threw raw meat to him, he'd give it a look and a sniff and then look up at me with a WTF look.

But we got so close that I started putting a double portion of food on my plate and one bite for me, one bite for him right off of my fork.

Then we got into a ritual after dinner of dessert. Usually cookies. Again, one bite for me, one for him. One time we were getting to the end of some peanut butter cookies and there were two left. I ate the 2nd to last one and went to put the last one to my mouth when gmhe growled. I laughed my ass off and gave him the last one!

We'd also do the same with ice cream.

For baths, he went into the shower with me.

I spoiled him in every way imaginable and what I wrote above is only the tip of that iceberg, and gotta say it really paid off in spades because he paid attention better than most kids and even adults.

He's the one that taught me thier language, and in using it along with speaking to him, he definitely learned English as well.

But basically he was part of my everyday life and I took him with me when I left home providing I was going somewhere I could take him.

We slept, ate, bathed and more together and honestly I've never had a better friend..

RIP Chub..... 😞

My girl is quite old now days. She can't hear very well and she can't get around as well as she used to but still pretty damn good for her age.
She will often fall asleep out in the yard while I'm out there having a smoke or something so I'll gently wake her so she knows im going back inside. If I just leave her outside she will freak out when she wakes up because I'm not there.
If she is already awake ill give her a head nod to let her know im going inside. She has learned quite a bit of general body/sign language since losing her hearing so with a nod she will get up and trot towards the door but I will always wait for her before going inside.
She also gets whatever spot on the bed or the couch that she wants or If she wants to lay on the floor in the kitchen while I'm cooking well I guess I gotta step over her. Is what it is. Lol Basically if she wants it, she gets it. We have been together for 14 years and she deserves whatever she wants.

Where to start!?!?
I had a German shepherd/husky/wolf cross that we learned rather quickly just could not tolerate any kind of dog food without getting the squirts.
On a whim, I starred cooking for him and the problem cleared up.

He got to the point where if I threw raw meat to him, he'd give it a look and a sniff and then look up at me with a WTF look.

But we got so close that I started putting a double portion of food on my plate and one bite for me, one bite for him right off of my fork.

Then we got into a ritual after dinner of dessert. Usually cookies. Again, one bite for me, one for him. One time we were getting to the end of some peanut butter cookies and there were two left. I ate the 2nd to last one and went to put the last one to my mouth when gmhe growled. I laughed my ass off and gave him the last one!

We'd also do the same with ice cream.

For baths, he went into the shower with me.

I spoiled him in every way imaginable and what I wrote above is only the tip of that iceberg, and gotta say it really paid off in spades because he paid attention better than most kids and even adults.

He's the one that taught me thier language, and in using it along with speaking to him, he definitely learned English as well.

But basically he was part of my everyday life and I took him with me when I left home providing I was going somewhere I could take him.

We slept, ate, bathed and more together and honestly I've never had a better friend..

RIP Chub..... 😞

I'm sorry he's gone, but I'm sure you gave him an awesome life.

My girl is quite old now days. She can't hear very well and she can't get around as well as she used to but still pretty damn good for her age.
She will often fall asleep out in the yard while I'm out there having a smoke or something so I'll gently wake her so she knows im going back inside. If I just leave her outside she will freak out when she wakes up because I'm not there.
If she is already awake ill give her a head nod to let her know im going inside. She has learned quite a bit of general body/sign language since losing her hearing so with a nod she will get up and trot towards the door but I will always wait for her before going inside.
She also gets whatever spot on the bed or the couch that she wants or If she wants to lay on the floor in the kitchen while I'm cooking well I guess I gotta step over her. Is what it is. Lol Basically if she wants it, she gets it. We have been together for 14 years and she deserves whatever she wants.

I'm happy to hear this. 14 years, wow that's a good long life together. I only hope I get as many years as that with my mates, mostly cause I'm pretty sure these are the last I'll be able to own

So before I say anything else, I'll say don't give your dogs milk. Adult dogs have very little lactase and cannot process much milk before they get digestive upset and diarrhea.
That said, I give my dog milk. ...ahem, just a little bit. After I finish a cup, and there's just a tiny little lick in the bottom left, I let her lick out the rest of it. No harmful side effects from such a small amount, and she gets really excited about it. Now she watches me very intently if she knows I'm having a glass of milk.

a holiday with more time spent together, longer forest runs and cheese extra cheese slices dropped off the counter
afterwards extra dedicated cuddle time compared to regular everyday stuff

also this doesn't happen to a much extent now since im running a "doggie retirement home", where even regular walkies are enough

Last edited:
So before I say anything else, I'll say don't give your dogs milk. Adult dogs have very little lactase and cannot process much milk before they get digestive upset and diarrhea.
That said, I give my dog milk. ...ahem, just a little bit. After I finish a cup, and there's just a tiny little lick in the bottom left, I let her lick out the rest of it. No harmful side effects from such a small amount, and she gets really excited about it. Now she watches me very intently if she knows I'm having a glass of milk.
Haha that's awesome. I always let my dogs have what's left in the cup when I get a milk shake. Lol they love it. 20230123_204342_1.gif

Oh god my dog is spoiled AF, he gets his own pool in summer, and I only slightly complain when he gets the entire appartment wet. Probably gets some special treat a couple times a week at least, stuff like boiled egg or some fruit or vegetable. (yes I buy plenty of those things specifically for him).
And he usually gets heart when I'm away for a bit and my neigbour is watching him as she can actually give him that. Would love to do it myself but I'm vegetarian for a reason, I would throw up.

I guess a lot of people will say our boys are spoiled, but we treat them as family, so they are treated almost as equals and have all the benefits you would expect. They have their own garden. She owns several hectares and the immediate environs of the house is sectioned off into three gardens, one of which is theirs. They have their own "living room", with an en-suite shower-room. Their teeth are cleaned every two days and their food is raw beef or mutton every two days and good quality dry. They also have the occasional bolognese or stew, which she makes up for them. We have four so it can be intense sometimes!

And we are surrounded by wide open space, we don't have immediate neighbours so they are almost free to roam when we take them for a run.

I guess a lot of people will say our boys are spoiled, but we treat them as family, so they are treated almost as equals and have all the benefits you would expect. They have their own garden. She owns several hectares and the immediate environs of the house is sectioned off into three gardens, one of which is theirs. They have their own "living room", with an en-suite shower-room. Their teeth are cleaned every two days and their food is raw beef or mutton every two days and good quality dry. They also have the occasional bolognese or stew, which she makes up for them. We have four so it can be intense sometimes!

And we are surrounded by wide open space, we don't have immediate neighbours so they are almost free to roam when we take them for a run.
Holy crap that sounds amazing!

Awww that sounds sweet, wish I had more than a garden for mine, then again, if he did he'd probably just see it as more places to nap.

While I don't have the budget I once had before my disability, I spoil my girl with the best kibble I can find. At $125 for a 22 lb bag, it's NOT exactly cheap! And for treats, I give her a "peanut butter alternative for dogs" low carb beef spread. She LOVES this stuff. I'll put some on a spoon and have her lick it off like an ice cream cone. She also gets a fresh frozen blueberry or two whenever I make a smoothie. When she hears the sound of the package she comes running into the kitchen and sits so patiently, begging for a blueberry with her sweet puppy dog eyes. 🐕

Last edited:
This is great! 🐕

Ah, yeah... My pets are kinda spoiled in the food department, if I cook meat or pasta, they get some with their dinner, left over food or meat I'm not gonna eat? They get that if it's not bad for them and they haven't already eaten, it ain't a waste if they can eat it.

I might give them a chip or two of what I'm snacking on, they do get pouty though when I tell them they can't have any since it's chocolate or garlic or something like that. They also pout when I don't leave any leftovers for them, but sometimes I'm just too hungry to share.

Since I don't go out much unless I'm visiting someone or food shopping, and have problems with a leg meaning I can't leash walk my pup much, I normally try to compensate by taking her out for a park/dog park or beach run once or twice a week instead.
But other than that they're lazy and forever sleeping on my bed, like right now curled up together, both of them snoring.

You'd think my animals would be fat, but they're not.
Can't say I haven't had to be exercising myself more though.

Back