How do you feel about animal-animal violence?

canecorso

Citizen of Zooville
I know a plenty of people (hopefully) feel strongly about animal welfare, and I believe there's also an above average count of vegetarians/vegans on this forum for a similar reason as well; but those issues concern relations of humans against animals. I wonder then how people here feel about animals (in particular, your pet companions) harming or killing other animals? Like your dog brings in a freshly killed bird. Sometimes the kill could be in self-defense, protecting your turf from a perceived dangerous cat. Sometimes the violence is two dogs fighting on the street. Other times the violence is part of what we see as nature's status-quo, e.g. a lion biting down an antelope. I wonder how scenarios like these resonate with you.

I wonder then how people here feel about animals (in particular, your pet companions) harming or killing other animals?
Generally I discourage my dog from hunting other animals or eating mice or dead animals because they carry parasites.
Our cats ocassionally bring in a mouse, a bird or very ocassionally something even larger. Though with cats it is more difficult to prevent them from hunting even though they always have plenty of food at home.
If they bring in a living animal that is not injured I release it back into the wild.

Killing in nature is a part of life. Predators need to eat so I am not against wild animals hunting each other. Domestic animals like dogs and cats do not need to do that and if they do it too much it can have adverse effects on the wild population of for example birds.
We keep unnaturaly large populations of domesticated predators and thus it makes us responsible for protecting wild populations of animals affected by that.

Back