Hotel Room

Had to rent rooms or whole apartements quite often due to business trips with dog.

Mostly searched for smaller, more rural apartments or rooms which were not only cheaper than the good 3 to 5 * hotels, they were as well ways more friendly to welcome my dog at that time. Never had a problem there, fur hair didn't matter for them. Often the apartments came with a nice city view and were placed in silent areas outside of the city, as such undisturbed by anyone.

Room service was less feature-rich than in big hotels, but you could bring your own groceries and buy those at the city malls beforehand. There were almost always kitchen areas for use through the guests.

In the city most hotels don't allow medium to big size dogs. And if, then it's quite expensive over night. There are a few ones which specialized on pet-company of their guests, but my impression was that not more than 1 of 35-50 hotels was really open-minded and welcoming in regards of pets. Outside the cities it's ways more often the case to find welcoming owners, which as well don't request expensive additional fees for the pets (more like 5 to 15 € additionally for the pet per night, not comparable to 30-50+ € per night in hotels).

But this was rarely in the US, mostly EU and partly Asia.

Some kennels call themselves "Dog Hotels". In that sense, yes, I did get my boy a hotel room a few times in his life.

I have not, but the only reason I would do that is if I'm travelling to another state. And I doubt many hotels accept large breed dogs.
A breed so large a hotel would refuse it? I thought a dog is a dog, they accept it, or they don't. (or should I use "HIM"?)

Had to rent rooms or whole apartements quite often due to business trips with dog.

Mostly searched for smaller, more rural apartments or rooms which were not only cheaper than the good 3 to 5 * hotels, they were as well ways more friendly to welcome my dog at that time. Never had a problem there, fur hair didn't matter for them. Often the apartments came with a nice city view and were placed in silent areas outside of the city, as such undisturbed by anyone.

Room service was less feature-rich than in big hotels, but you could bring your own groceries and buy those at the city malls beforehand. There were almost always kitchen areas for use through the guests.

In the city most hotels don't allow medium to big size dogs. And if, then it's quite expensive over night. There are a few ones which specialized on pet-company of their guests, but my impression was that not more than 1 of 35-50 hotels was really open-minded and welcoming in regards of pets. Outside the cities it's ways more often the case to find welcoming owners, which as well don't request expensive additional fees for the pets (more like 5 to 15 € additionally for the pet per night, not comparable to 30-50+ € per night in hotels).

But this was rarely in the US, mostly EU and partly Asia.
How does size of the dog dictate access? Ok, what makes small dogs allowable, and bigger dogs not allowed?

Exactly as any hotel, with the only difference that they allowed pets to stay.

Still needed to take them for walks and they were not allowed in the restaurant.

I could spend very many days there. Did the change of environment affect your dog? Or the presence of many other dogs around?

A kennel is a dog caretaker which cares for your dog while you are -without him/her- on travels. 🤷‍♂️
To keep him/her in the area that the animal is used to.
You don't get to stay there as a human. Only the owners / caretakers do.

How does size of the dog dictate access? Ok, what makes small dogs allowable, and bigger dogs not allowed?

Because small "dogs" the size of below a house cat are carried around in a transport bag or any comparable enclosure from the mostly mid-aged to older aged female guests. 🤷‍♂️ Those dogs are not walking around in the open spaces, they are sitting in their own "place" all the time aside from going on a walk or being outside and in the individual rooms where they can walk themself.

Tell me how you would do this with a 25 to 45 kg dog. :gsd_grin:

Those smaller dogs as well are rarely two-layered fur dogs with underfur, as such less cleaning works to be done afterwards.

A kennel is a dog caretaker which cares for your dog while you are -without him/her- on travels. 🤷‍♂️
You don't get to stay there as a human. Only the owners / caretakers do.

Because small "dogs" the size of below a house cat are carried around in a transport bag or any comparable enclosure from the mostly mid-aged to older aged female guests. 🤷‍♂️ Those dogs are not walking around in the open spaces, they are sitting in their own "place" all the time aside from going on a walk or being outside and in the individual rooms where they can walk themself.

Tell me how you would do this with a 25 to 45 kg dog. :gsd_grin:

Those smaller dogs as well are rarely two-layered fur dogs with underfur, as such less cleaning works to be done afterwards.
Oh kennels only care for dogs.I get it. Got it. What I got very funny is "from the mostly mid-aged to older female guests"...From your emoji, seems you also have a problem understanding why

No problem on understanding those (and no, they're not using their dogs for sexual gratification in most cases, that's a thing out of the past).

I just rarely met male guests which brought their sub-5 kg "dog" with them in a pink-green carrying basket. 🤷‍♂️
Usually those brought their 20-40 kg mid-sized family dogs with them on a family trip, while leaving the dog at home if traveling purely for solo-business reasons.

No problem on understanding those (and no, they're not using their dogs for sexual gratification in most cases, that's a thing out of the past).

I just rarely met male guests which brought their sub-5 kg "dog" with them in a pink-green carrying basket. 🤷‍♂️
Usually those brought their 20-40 kg mid-sized family dogs with them on a family trip, while leaving the dog at home if traveling purely for solo-business reasons.
yaa...people live in different circumstances. No body at home to care for the dog while away, and not possible to travel with.

Like the US, most things are insurance related/liability reasons. Some hotels I haven't had a turn away. Though never had a large dog. Many hotels are pet friendly, and most times they won't mind even a large dog as long as they're well behaved and not creating a disturbance or destroying things. I say large like mastiff, great dane, etc.

It's tough finding hotels that allow large breeds. Most have a limit of 50 to 80 pounds. The best chain I know of is Kimpton. They allow any number of pets, any size, with no extra charge. Some of them even have their own dogs that hang out in the lobby.

I could spend very many days there. Did the change of environment affect your dog? Or the presence of many other dogs around?
How would I know? I wasn't there. A kennel is where you put your dog when you're out of town and don't have someone to watch them.

How would I know? I wasn't there. A kennel is where you put your dog when you're out of town and don't have someone to watch them.
I see. That means when you returned, the pets were safe and not negatively affected in any way.

Alot of hotels I've tried to reach out abroad (France, Germany etc) have been pet unfriendly, but I have found a few. So always make sure you do your research beforehand :)
Yaa. It would really be a problem to be turned down with a pet in a foreign country.

Well, it works differently in different part of the world. I have been on some airports and also shopping centers in Europe where dogs are allowed. I was bit suprised to see that some of them had a sign "Height up to 30cm" or 50cm. It is strange all right and it shows that a not all dogs are treated like "a dog". In matter of curiosity, I tried to find a dogs hotel for my fella just to research this and i rang 30 dog hotels advertised and 25 of them said straight away that they cannot facilitate "extra large" breeds. I was questioning the term and where it came from, but never got satisfactory answer. Remaining 5 of them said to me that they really need to see this dog in advance, but most likely they will not accept him due to his size as they do not have their staff trained to handle "extra large" breed 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well, it works differently in different part of the world. I have been on some airports and also shopping centers in Europe where dogs are allowed. I was bit suprised to see that some of them had a sign "Height up to 30cm" or 50cm. It is strange all right and it shows that a not all dogs are treated like "a dog". In matter of curiosity, I tried to find a dogs hotel for my fella just to research this and i rang 30 dog hotels advertised and 25 of them said straight away that they cannot facilitate "extra large" breeds. I was questioning the term and where it came from, but never got satisfactory answer. Remaining 5 of them said to me that they really need to see this dog in advance, but most likely they will not accept him due to his size as they do not have their staff trained to handle "extra large" breed 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Extra large breeds!! Laughable anywah.. Do they fear being attacked or what? But even a small dog can attack someone. Why would they expect to be attacked yet the dog will be with the owner? Or is it space? This thing is funny

Extra large breeds!! Laughable anywah.. Do they fear being attacked or what? But even a small dog can attack someone. Why would they expect to be attacked yet the dog will be with the owner? Or is it space? This thing is funny
Yeah, I still laugh when i recall it. Another funny one was when we travelled by a boat, when booking trip, I rang them and asked how big cages they have and explained what dog I have its size and so on. I was told, the cages are for big dogs no worries. When we got there, I looked at the cage, looked at the stuff and asked is that a joke? The cage would be good for him as puppy, but not as adult. After bit of arguing, they allowed him to be in our cabin.

Back