Hooves and Mud

qweqwe

Citizen of Zooville
out of curiosity, to hear the opinions of someone "on the other side of the world", it is now winter here too and this unfortunately involves a lot of mud, at least along the entry/exit routes, the fields are still quite compact.

the only thing that still remained in place were the hooves, now the sole is starting to deteriorate and the frog too, apart from keeping them clean and receiving it in dry conditions, they only advised me to apply a disinfectant cream (but probably only because I was warried) to tell the truth apart from a bit of smell, there are no particular problems, apart from the fact that it remains very soft and deteriorates quickly, there are no lameness or particular things, there is only arthritis and cushing (due to age, she is still undergoing treatment)

what precautions do you use?

There is not much you can do besides get rid of the mud. You can get more aggressive with something like Thrush Buster but if the muddy conditions remain it won't do more than slow the deterioration.

If it isn't causing issues I wouldn't worry too much though. Keep an eye on it. Soft feet can be fine but obviously easier to damage. Cracks can become a bigger problem if there is alternating wet and dry conditions. Just another thing to watch for.

I would need a bulldozer, an excavator and a diesel tanker to get rid of the mud...

I was looking for something to give some protection to the sole and frog area, also something that would take off on its own over time.

the only thing they advised me was to clean them every day and let them spend at least eight hours in the dry, which they do regularly (minus the cleaning, it's not a service they do for me in the pension where they live, I do it myself or when they remember that they have time)

that's why I was asking if anyone knew anything, they didn't say anything bad about hard rock

I was told by a farrier to use a sole hardener to prevent it from wearing away, and also that it helps keep out moisture. Try venice turpentine or durasole. There are also many others with great reviews.

Mud has been a issue here also with a very wet and warm winter. I tend to just squirt a little thrush buster along the base of the frog and around the edge where the hoof wall meets the sole after every clean out. It seems to help! You can also buy blue powder copper sulfate that they use for pools and mix it with just enough water that it makes a sort of gel. You can pack that in the hoof and it will stay for a little while. Just be careful with it, a little bit a few times a week may be all you need as to not pull to much moisture out of the sole.

I already use blue powder copper but honestly I've always used it in spray form (liquid with spray), I'll try to make it pasty

in the evening she goes in box and it's always dry there, this saves me a little I think

Back