Getting to know an animal

PetIndi

Tourist
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I'm someone who's potentially interested in meeting an owner in the future and just generally curious.

All Non-sexually (unless you think it's relevant):

How do you like people to meet and act around your animal?

What advice would you give to someone who's inexperienced with the type of animal you keep in regards to becoming friends with the animal?

What do you absolutely never want to see?

And anything similar you think is important for the animals welfare.

The non-sexual side of this rarely gets asked so I'd say good on you for posting. All animals have different personalities so it will vary a lot, but I can answer for my two Labs.

How do you like people to meet and act around your animal?
Mine are extremely social and get very excited when anyone visits, so I prefer people to ignore them at first until they've calmed down. Aside from that they are very friendly and will chill out eventually, they love attention and pets and will quickly become someone's best friend. Giving them treats is fine too but I always prefer someone to ask first and make sure it's one they normally have. Also they would need to be okay with getting covered in dog hair :LOL:

What advice would you give to someone who's inexperienced with the type of animal you keep in regards to becoming friends with the animal?
I would say do some basic research on the body language and behaviours of the animal/breed, and how to best approach and act around them. Also don't be afraid to ask questions especially if you're unsure, an owner knows their animals better than anyone else including their little quirks and personalities. With meeting new dogs I like to crouch down or sit on the floor so I'm on the same level as them, let them approach first and have a sniff especially if they seem unsure.

What do you absolutely never want to see?
The main thing i don't like is rough play with my dogs, my girl is like a cannon ball but I don't want that behaviour encouraged as she can get carried away, and my boy is a precious soul.

In terms of if another zoo met my dogs, I definitely never want to see any unwanted touching or advances. I'd expect them to treat my dogs the same as that of a non-zoo. If they show a sexual interest than that's my dog's choice, but if they don't then that needs to be respected. I know it's likely a zoo will get aroused just with normal contact and that's expected, but they need to be able to control themselves and have no expectations of what will happen if anything.

Back