Finding out [your] dog's breeds (mutt)?

Tailsworth

Tourist
Besides DNA tests, I've tried looking at other dog breeds on the internet to see if I could figure out what kind of dog my boy is. He's such a goofy and loving boy, and very gentle to our new kittens.
Is there any other way besides DNA tests? Are those "dog DNA" tests really realiable/worth it or do they just send back random crap and charge you a couple hundred dollars? I just feel like those types of DNA test results could be so easily faked, and there are so many companies doing it, how do you know who is real and who isn't?

The thing about dog breeds: 99% of them all share DNA with one another anyway, and the dog dna tests themselves don’t have a lot of good verifiable data and studies behind even what they are testing.

What does “90% accurate” even mean? They don’t say.

For anything that is a mix and not a specifically bred doggo, I always take them with a grain of salt—it’s much more important to figure out how your dog ticks, and what makes him happy—I’ve met lab mixes that hate water, and non-herding Australian Shepard mixes—part of the joy of having mixed breed doggos.

Oh, and they get a LOT less diseases and genetic issues!

Well, he's a big, goofy, lovable boy, and that's good enough for me. Just curious what might have gone into that type of disposition, but I know a lot of that is environment and not necessarily genetics.

Back