Does anyone know what this is?

Maui69

Citizen of Zooville
Image attached.

I called the vet and the autoresponse said that they're off on holiday until the first and the second vet I go to in case the first one isn't home is open but I'm short for the visit (the visit is costlier than my first go-to).

I can start asking for money from my friends if it's an absolute emergency but I can't find anything either online or on my textbooks about this. The symptoms don't add up. She's licking herself and it's balding but she has no pain if I press on it, nothing spews out, no foul odor, it's too low to be an anal gland, and she licks it occasionally, not constantly. I've never seen this in my life. She also has no fever nor apetite loss or energy loss. Maybe someone had this before? idunno

I figure I'd ask here to see if someone has an experience and wait until the first unless I see that her behavior regarding this changes. The pic is pretty shit, I know but it wouldn't focus. It's a balding spot at the top-left of the vulva. The skin has the same color as the rest of her skin, that pink isn't unique to that spot and it isn't red at all (in contrast to the picture). Her anus isn't swollen, neither are her glands, and she isn't in heat

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 179
gonna second the hot spot.
did you rule out if it can be psychological in origin? does she lick it in your presence? my late boy had this phase when he would lick his front legs to the point of creating similar bald spots (he'd even break the skin on some occassions) when i wasn't home for longer periods of time.

The picture is a bit too shitty to be able to tell anything. If you have a clipper, try clipping the fur around it maybe and extra 1/2in from the bald spot, being careful not to damage the skin. You might notice the skin does in fact look different. Maybe you could post a clearer picture once that's done?
In the mean time, keep it clean and dry. Cleaning it with some sort of antiseptic solution like Baxedin (the one that's chlorhexidine 0.05% and no alcohol, do NOT use rubbing alcohol or peroxyde!) is also a good idea. Creams and ointments are likely to make a mess of the area.
Make sure her anal sacs aren't full, that could cause licking and scooting which can lead to skin abrasions in that area.

gonna second the hot spot.
did you rule out if it can be psychological in origin? does she lick it in your presence? my late boy had this phase when he would lick his front legs to the point of creating similar bald spots (he'd even break the skin on some occassions) when i wasn't home for longer periods of time.

Well I did return from a week-long business trip

Here's a better image. The area is clean, I cleaned it with warm water and soft toilet paper

index.jpegindex.jpeg

have you ever been away from her as long as you were on your business trip . i had a dog that would go through what i called over missing you to the point of stressing out and licking and chewing herself to the point of hair loss . dose not seem to be a emergency but maybe a vet visit could tell you more.. just my opinion I am not a vet.

well no, the max I was away from her was 18 hours on a very long and rare work things, otherwise I spent every day with her since I got her

It could be that but I'm uncertain. I will take her to the vet when my go-to comes, I'm asking around if anyone knows any red flags to take her now

I'm asking around if anyone knows any red flags to take her now
No red flags, don't think a few extra days will be a problem for her if she's not showing signs of discomfort. I'm still leaning towards excessive licking. Not a typical area for anxiety or allergy related licking. When is she due for her next heat? Are all the little folds there looking clean and healthy? Has there been discharge/other "deposits" built up in the fur in that area?

Her heat is due April, she doesn't show discomfort but pulls away when I touch too much, it's an arbitrary time she considers enough; squeezing or pressing doesn't trigger that, time does.

The folds are clean, no smells nor discharges but today I saw red spots on it so I'm taking her to the vet. Given the area, better be safe than sorry

So the vet examined her and said that it's most probably an acute skin irritation caused by her licking and believes that it will be gone in three days with topical antiseptic (povidone iodine) and an anti-inflammatory spray (hydrocortisone) she gave me. She told me that the red spots (she said the name but I forgot) should be gone within today and if in five days it doesn't disappear, to take her back

Most likely mild dermatitis. Sowing for mushrooms is a good idea. Sounds wild in translation, perhaps.

Has she been checked for fleas? An allergic reaction to fleas is a common cause for dogs to lick certain parts of their skin and to gnaw hair away. It doesn't need many of these small critters to irritate an allergic dog.

she didn't have any visible nor did she scratch herself but I got her a flea pill anyways just in case

edit: "visible", she's a husky, I haven't seen her skin since summer last year

Back