Do you wish your animal companions could talk?

they are excellent listeners and can't verbally judge us on our faults. This would go out the window if they could talk
good point
animals do communicate what they think is important
isn't it usually obvious?
on the other hand, i would love to get the details of what they are thinking
but would they talk about that?
cat: "oh, for crying out loud, i was thinking of that chickadee and YOU came in and oafishly scared it away!"

cat being petted: "i love you, i love you..." expressed by purr... and kneading with claws
me: uh, cat, i wish you wouldn't knead me with claws
cat: but i love being kneaded! (wounded voice)
Me: i don't know why, i just dont

and that would be an example of speaking with animals going beyond curiosity to application

I'll probably just get lols and eyerolls from this but I don't believe the problem is them being unable to talk because they can, in their native language, telepathic. It's humans that forgot how to listen.

I'll probably just get lols and eyerolls from this but I don't believe the problem is them being unable to talk because they can, in their native language, telepathic. It's humans that forgot how to listen.
We've forgotten how to listen to other humans who use actual words, so what hope do our animals friends have?

That even if some zoos are good, there are others that aren't, and because of them all zoophilia should be banned.

Doesn't work for anything. Car drivers, service technicians, gun owners, official workers in dependent jobs, politicians, workers in health-related jobs, workers in safety-ensuring jobs, animal owners, even just food enjoying people - there's so much "bad" everywhere but it's not preventable by forbidding or outlawing those jobs or activities. Neither could the "bad" get eradicated wholly, not possible.

If animals could talk, most people would still not listen to them. 🤷‍♂️ It's not as if they can't already show clearly what they fear, if they are scarred, in panic, hurt, unhappy.. They can just too well and people still decide towards plain ignorance. A talking animal would probably get same as ignored after a short while.

Although the idea seems beautiful and fun a part of me isnt sure. Physical speech is a very human trait and the whole reason I am a zoo is to explore things beyond human. Making my dog more human could ruin some of that for me.

It also could render people unable to communicate with feelings. Since animals dont have a physical language, we watch the body and feel the emotions. Someone with a strong connection with an animal will be able to communicate based on that raw connection. Giving them speech may inhibit that because you wont need to pay as much attention to the little details.

Just my thoughts tho

If animals could talk, most people would still not listen to them. 🤷‍♂️ It's not as if they can't already show clearly what they fear, if they are scarred, in panic, hurt, unhappy..
ugh. yeah, that's probably how it would go, more's the pity

I think partly what I find so attractive about canines is that they live in the moment and are sincere with their desires. They don't tell you one thing but really mean another, like humans. They show you what they want. You just have to learn to read them. So unless you're ignoring your animal partner's signs, they would probably not say such a thing even if they could talk.

How is this any different than how it is now? I think that's one of the common anti-zoo viewpoints. That even if some zoos are good, there are others that aren't, and because of them all zoophilia should be banned. At least if they could talk, it would be easier for them to get help from abuse.
It isn't any different. Some people will do as they please, or at least try to, regardless of what is said, unsaid, implied or screamed. I would hope having a voice would make it easier for them to get help if they needed it, but considering how we as humans treat each other and the victims in our society, well...

Back