Do you wish your animal companions could talk?

It would certainly solve a ton of problems as far as being a zoo goes. The question of consent would no longer be an issue and would potentially make all of this legal. Age of consent would still need to be determined, as it should be, but yeah, I think it would be awesome if they could talk.

Always yes... The world would be more equal instead of the whole generic "they no consent" when all the signs are there.

And also retarded/unstable humans bypass this because "human right" privileges/hypocrisies. There's also slaughter houses don't need "consent" of their lives taken/inseminated (really add in anything that humans are "ok" with sleeping at night).

If the whole world would be different if everything had equal opportunity to communicate that would be most optimal for us instead of simply "oh they might snitch on me lol". Because in that universe it would be more accepted or tolerated since they can speak out their desires.

I wish it enough that my biggest motivation in getting my marine biology degree is to be able to lead a study on dolphin language and hopefully bridge the gap between their speech and ours.

As others have mentioned, it would certainly alleviate the tired moral concern of "obviously they can't consent cause they can't literally say the words yes and no," if nothing else.

No. I feel our communication has far surpassed the need for words, and that they would only cheapen the relationships we share. I have people to talk to, but my boys and I communicate on a level that is far more complex than words could possibly manage. The unspoken love and trust we share daily, is so much more beautiful than even the most complex of poetry.

As good of a communicator as my ol' boy was, I definitely talked to him enough that it would a been really interesting to hear what he would say back. Has anyone looked into the authenticity of those dogs clicking word buttons videos that were popular a bit ago?

Has anyone looked into the authenticity of those dogs clicking word buttons videos that were popular a bit ago?
I have a very strong feeling that they are trained movements.

Yes and no.

Yes becaus I'd love to be able to carry on a conversation with them.

No because I don't need them telling everyone what we've been up to.
Yeah, this occurred to me too, if they could talk, they would do things that only humans do (lie, cheat, betray etc.), there would definitely be disadvantages to speaking.

If exclusively with me then yes, otherwise definably not. My female Lab is already presenting herself to house guests, I don't need her rolling on her back and shouting "rub my pussy!" to family and friends :ROFLMAO:

I have a very strong feeling that they are trained movements.

Yeah, this occurred to me too, if they could talk, they would do things that only humans do (lie, cheat, betray etc.), there would definitely be disadvantages to speaking.
With decreased dependency comes unpredictability. Think of it as an extending rope the further you extend it the more shaky and uncertain it becomes.

But while we're thinking about this concept, let's not forget the old joke whose punchline is "Sheep lies!"

While I initially said that this would be a great idea because it would help to clarify consent and possibly legality (and I still believe that) it has occurred to me that one of the main reasons we love our pets so is because they are excellent listeners and can't verbally judge us on our faults. This would go out the window if they could talk and I'm sure some of them would have things to say we didn't like. What if your pet could talk and it told you that it had no interest in having sex with you and never has? Then a whole new can of worms has been opened. Still, I'd rather know than wonder if I'm doing something wrong. So now it's a 50/50 proposal in my mind. Perhaps not here, but there are certainly people out there who would do what they wanted to their animal no matter what they said. Since we as humans do horrible things to each other, and we can obviously talk, I don't see why that wouldn't be true. I didn't think such a simple question would make me think so hard on the topic, but there certainly is more to it than I first considered.

Last edited:
I feel the same here. On many basis here.

One thing is health, for example when my dog is injured or going through pain it would be so much easier to understand. All the points spoken about here, I agree with.

But I have this weird thing where I only want to talk to my dog. Not any other dogs. And if this was a universal thing, I would be so weirded out if all of the animals could talk.

Back