Do male dogs calm down when having regular sex?

FtmKnotLover

Tourist
Sorry if this sounds ignorant, almost all of the dogs I've interacted with in my life except for one have all been fixed. The one unfixed dog I knew was very horny, always jumping the fence and running off but returning home once it was getting dark. My perception of intact dogs is pretty skewed, I know they can get pretty rowdy because of hormones and wanting to breed. I was wondering if they'll calm down if they can regularly have sex.

Your dog would be calm with you while clothed but when he sees you naked he is gonna want to play. Mine was like that, he always calmed down after knotting me until he was done. There were times when I was busy and he would actually come to me wanting sex and I would ignore him. My husband would get upset with me for ignoring my pit, and would remind me it was my responsibility to take care of his needs since I was his bottom. My husband is not really a zoo, but very zoo supportive. He will play and partake but I am more the zoo in our family.

Dogs, like people, are individuals; what one does is not what all will do. Some dogs will get to a point of lethargy post sex, some never will. You have no way of predicting it. Learn by observation. Even a neutered dog can be very antsy.

Last edited:
Your dog would be calm with you while clothed but when he sees you naked he is gonna want to play. Mine was like that, he always calmed down after knotting me until he was done. There were times when I was busy and he would actually come to me wanting sex and I would ignore him. My husband would get upset with me for ignoring my pit, and would remind me it was my responsibility to take care of his needs since I was his bottom. My husband is not really a zoo, but very zoo supportive. He will play and partake but I am more the zoo in our family.
What an amazing relationship you and your husband have!

I’ve found that about 70% of the intact dogs that I’ve been with through completion have calmed down immediately afterwards. I’ve also found that of the neutered dogs that I’ve been with through completion only about 65% of them calm down afterwards. I have been with more intact dogs than I have neutered but I’ve had the opportunity to be with almost double the amount neutered dogs than intact dogs. So in my experience intact dogs definitely want it more often than neutered dogs, but the neutered dogs that do want it generally have a higher libido. Scientifically speaking there is something (I don’t remember what it is, a hormone, chemical, or something) in a dog that releases when they get off that makes them sleepy and the amount of this thing that is released varies in each individual dog in most dogs it is enough to calm them down immediately afterwards. I do wonder if this thing is more prevalent in intact dogs seeing as how they tend to calm down quicker and more often than most neutered dogs after the act in my experience.

Dogs, humans, I don't really think the species is important, a good number if not most males I know get more chilled if not sleepy after the act. It's a form of stress relief, a distraction from other things, physical exertion raises body temperature (warm is comforting in many cases) and fills the head with happy inducing chemicals. It's natures reset button, to help re-balance things I mean have you ever wonder why humping behavior can often be seen in stressed or nervous dogs? Even going through the motions can help without completion being reached.

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, almost all of the dogs I've interacted with in my life except for one have all been fixed. The one unfixed dog I knew was very horny, always jumping the fence and running off but returning home once it was getting dark. My perception of intact dogs is pretty skewed, I know they can get pretty rowdy because of hormones and wanting to breed. I was wondering if they'll calm down if they can regularly have sex.
Looks like you’re going to have to have a lot of fun look forward. To seeing posts about it

My boy gets to relax and feel sleepy after sex but the moment his up and you give him a rub his already hopping ready to mount and sometimes he walks up to my like twice a day and always wanting to play his just obsessed
I find the same! Do you often play more than once a day?

I was wondering if they'll calm down if they can regularly have sex.
My boys are all wildly different, and running away in that manner would probably have a lot to do with how close you are to a female that is intact/ not having a routine he understands to get him off. Regular sexual contact definitely keeps them more calm/bonds them to you, but good walks are also essential to making sure buddy gets everything he needs to feel like a little king. I met many neutered dogs before I got my pack of males, however, I also don't live near too many people so perhaps my opinion is skewed about fixed dogs.

I imagine it can't be much more different than a 14 year old newly masturbatin' male who gets very quickly pent up and rowdy/anxious to get some "tension" released.

You can TELL when an animal is horny. You can just tell :LOL:

I would say yes, they seem to be more relaxed and mellow in the following day or so. But like any horny man they get worked up pretty quickly.

Yeah, when mine is horny he makes it known, but once he cums he’s pretty chill. My female is the same way, if you play with her clit she gets crazy hyper until she gets a couple fingers in her

I somehow doubt that it will be a significant difference unless your dog gets enough exercise and training either way.

Back