Disturbing thoughts about the Rainbow Bridge

B

BlueBeard

My fucking brain, such random thoughts run through it.
Like, the Rainbow Bridge -- is it for any animal that dies?
Not just horses, bunnies, dogs and pigs ... but flies,
Fleas, ticks and pathogen-causing bacteria and viruses?

Oh, holy shit -- is this where spiders go to get their WINGS???
(An arachnophobe's worst nightmare).

So, when I put my dog down in December...
I sent him ... there? To live eternally, with all those things?

Bad master!... BAD master!

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 9.51.02 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted it to be the topic of a funny post.
Most zoo who are compassionate about their lovers fear the rainbow bridge. My dogs are both young, but I also know that their lives are unfortunately short. If they have to be euthanized I promise that I'll be their for there last breath. I love my girls with all my heart, and don't look forward to their last day. I don't see how this could be turned into a funny post? Benevolent zoos care deeply about their animal companions and dread their passing. I know of a zoo who literally tried to kill himself when his doggie lover passed away. :(

Edit: sorry about your companion passing, my condolences.

Last edited:
Oh, very sorry if that upset you. Didn't mean for you to think the funny part *was* the Rainbow Bridge. No no no. Only the spiders with wings part really.

I'll explain. I am a compassionate zoo, but it's not the "Rainbow Bridge" that gives me anxiety, which I do understand as a euphemism for death, of course I do. And as for death, I promise you I had great, great anxiety and torment and guilt over having to put my Lab down. You see me explain that in the Rainbow thread (not this one).

I'll explain how the joke came about, so you understand it's not the Rainbow Bridge that's funny. Just the idea that we should realize if there is one, it isn't just for pets. See, I killed a clothes moth today, and said out loud, "Sorry to send you across the rainbow bridge, buddy." And it made me stop and think -- If there is an afterlife, and there *is* a Rainbow Bridge, *all* animals would cross it, right? Not just our pets. It would be for ALL animals. The ramifications hit me, and I started wondering would even insects be there? Sure. Why not?

When I got to spiders -- the old meme about "if spiders had wings" hit me, and I burst out laughing, because, you see, angels get wings. Spiders with wings, that would freak out arachnophobes. That struck me as pretty funny! -- Not that spiders actually do get wings. But that two different concepts of the afterlife, they collided, came together like that. Humor is often based on the sudden incongruence of surprise juxtapositions. That's what this is here.

It was funny, I think. Well, it's funnier if you tell it without having to explain it. But can see how that would be funny, now?

The Rainbow Bridge may be a sacred concept and still be funny, I think. Unless, you know, you just put down a dog *today*. (I wouldn't have wanted to see this post if *I* had put down my dog today. Maybe later on, though. When I was done mourning.)

I think you can believe in the afterlife and still make jokes about it.

Here's one from Christianity, told to me by a minister:

Guy says to his friend: So... Peter was complaining to God one day that people just don't believe anymore. He told God, "Traffic's getting slow at the gate, and the quality of souls coming through it going all to hell... so to speak. The very best candidates are starting to give up on us, losing faith."

So God asked Peter, "What can we do to fix that, Peter? Any ideas?"

Peter thought and thought and thought... "I've got it," he said. "We'll write a letter and send it to every good, kind and caring person. Something encouraging so they'll keep doing what they're doing, not lose faith. Thanking them for believing in us and being decent folks. Maybe a bit about how we have a special place for them up here and want to reassure them, we're anxious to have them join us up here some day. We'll keep the light on for them, so to speak!"

God said: "That's awfully long. Can you say the exact same thing, but do it in fewer words, and without the Motel 6 copyright violation? Show me what you come up with and we'll send it right out"

Guy asks his friend: "And you know what the letter said, of course."

Friend asks: "No. What?"

Guy looks horrified: "Oh, geez. Sorry. So, like, then... you didn't get one?"

--- See? Not disrespectful. Funny. People who believe there is a Peter and a God don't for a second think they'd have a conversation like that. But that's not the funny part. The funny part is that the guy set his friend up, pretending he knows because he got one (meaning Peter and God think he's worthy of heaven) and his friend did not (implying he's not worthy of heaven). Funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, glad I became an atheist.

The way us atheist zoos deal with losing our animals is simply by acknowledging that death only matters to the living. I miss seeing my favorite cat I ever had, Neal Stephenson, but that doesn't mean that he is somewhere far away crying and scared because I can't be there to comfort him. He feels nothing at all. I might not like the fact that he can't be here for me, but that is my problem, not his.

I already addressed his problems that he had while he was alive. He was hurting, so I comforted him by playing with him. When he was no longer interested in either play or food, I comforted him by having a nice veterinarian shoot him up with a strong barbiturate. He liked the barbiturate. Maybe it stopped his heart, but that little guy was fucking sauced, man. He was as drunk as a lord. I couldn't keep him alive forever, but I gave him a nice barbiturate trip at the end, which was the next-best thing. I did everything in my power to be good to him.

I should also be good to the cat that I currently have, and I cannot do that just by pining for one that can no longer be with me. He has a completely different personality, but he is still a perfectly good cat.

Last edited:
I find the thought of there being a definite End more comforting than some vague, everlasting carrot/stick arrangement waiting for me and my partners. It keeps me focused on being better right now because it's my only chance. I have nobody to impress but myself. That and I'm far too suspicious and subversive of authority to abide by any perpetual mass-surveillance apparatus designed to make people behave a certain way. Like the elf on a shelf crap. Not in my home.

And if it turns out that I am made by someone and not by math and stardust, and they punish me for thinking critically, well... they're a jerk.

Lots of spiders can already fly, by the way.

Oh, and my favorite scene from any film, in regard to losing someone, was the conversation between Littlefoot and Rooter. Okay, it was bizarre that a grown man with some gray hairs on his head and some intelligence turned around and walked away from a recently orphaned child in a world full of dangerous predators that had every intention of eating him, but the conversation was cool.

"...and you'll always miss her, but she'll always be with you as long as you remember the things she taught you."

That's how I feel about my cat. Let me tell you that I am still haunted by him, even years later. I still sometimes see a black blur out of the corner of my eye, and I turn my head to the side, nope, still not there, or was he? But he IS, darn it. I don't mean literally but figuratively. Poetically.

What that cat taught me was that you can always be happy if you just make up your mind to be. Simple as that. I guess someone could argue, if they wanted to be unpleasant, that could be said about any cat, but I would disagree. My other cat he used to fuck cross-eyed is not really always happy, but my other cat is a demanding, bossy, belligerent brat. If I do not take him outside or otherwise entertain him when he wants to be, then he will reach up with his claws out and gouge them into my sides. He CAN be happy, but he wants to do something fun to make himself happy. The other was just happy because he just made up his mind he was going to be, and haters going to gosh-darn-dag-nabbity-bleep hate. He could amuse himself pouncing on the bare floor or leaping and batting at empty air. I realized that I could just choose happy because, darn it, I liked it better. Because of him, I can turn on a local station and just dance because I like that better than sitting on my butt.

The one I have still is teaching me, just teaching me a different lesson. He's teaching me, if there is stuff I want in this world, I have to ask for it and insist on it, and it's really okay to want it. It doesn't make me defective or needy or high maintenance. If nobody ever pursued their goals, then we would still be using bone tools and running bare-assed away from giant cave-lions. I might not go to his extreme, but I understand why he feels the way he does. I love him, so I can understand why he thinks as he does. I am learning ambition because, in his way, he is right. Maybe the other one was right that I never really had to sit around being sad if I didn't want to, but now this one is telling me, "kiddo, you have a bachelor of science degree you worked hard for, so get a better darn job."

Anyone you can manage to love can teach you something if you choose to learn the lesson. Maybe that is what love is to me: it is the realization that there is something that another creature has to teach me that I feel ready to learn.

Last edited:
If there is a rainbow bridge, humans and non-human animals go to it -- or neither go to it.

Oh, holy shit -- is this where spiders go to get their WINGS???
This did get me thinking about how majestic my boys would look with wings. At least one of them would be anyways, because I can see my husky clumsily crashing into someone else's pet and making them have to cross the rainbow bridge for a second time.

Back