[Canine Health] Ovary Sparing Spay (OSS) for our female doggo partners

I want to preface this by saying that I am a complete noob and very new to this whole thing. I intend on first spending my time learning and educating myself as best I can with all the resources available before taking the plunge and finding a partner for myself. This is a big decision for me. The last thing I wanna do is a make a mistake that might affect the health of my partner and their wellbeing.

From all the reading I’ve done of the resources on this forum, I unfortunately haven’t been able to find much information on OSS for female dogs and the way it affects their behavior in the long term, the health benefits of this and if there is still a potential risk of Pyometra. Looking for info outside of this forum, I’m able to find more generalized stuff discussing the procedure and whatnot, but it’s never anything particularly specific or deep in any way.

I’d appreciate it immensely if you lot could chime in and share any and all information on this subject as well as any personal anecdotes you’re willing to talk about.

I’m particularly interested in knowing how performing an OSS procedure on a very young female dog would affect her behavior long term. (When I say ‘very young’ I mean pretty much around the age where Vet’s generally ask if you want your dog neutered)

I would also greatly appreciate any information on the risks of Pyometra in the long term, even after the procedure is done.

I’m quite new so please go easy on me if I’ve made any mistake or said anything wrong :p

It makes no sense to have it done on a young dog. Basically in the middle ages, if someone to be very afraid of pyo.
Since the uterus is removed and a strong suture must be made at the cervix because of the blood vessels there, you never know in advance how much your sex life will change after the operation.

The ovaries produce the behavior-affecting hormones so your dog should act the same after she recovers. Different breeds have different risks of pyometra. It is worth looking up the risk for your dog to see if the risk of surgery is worth that. If you plan to get an OSS I don't see a reason to wait aside from the possibility of the surgery affecting your sex life or changing your mind one day on puppies. Older dogs do not heal as well and have more risk for surgery so that's one reason to do it earlier. Here is some info including a directory of vets who will do the surgery:

Back