Advice on re-homing a stray? (NW Florida)

LokiTob

Tourist
(((If this is in the wrong section, I apologize. I'm exhausted from lack of decent sleep and this forum is kind of a "Hail Mary" attempt to solve the problem. If this post is a violation of the rules, somehow, please delete it. If it's posted in the incorrect section, I humbly request it be moved. I am simply too tired to think properly, right now; I just put nasal spray in my eyes, and I'm not sure how I made that mistake.)))

Long story short: my wife and I found a stray over the New Year's weekend and he's been staying with us since then, but he can't stay with us, since we already have a dog and the two no longer get along. Also, the humans are unable to get more than a nap at a time, affecting all aspects of our lives.

I'm bringing this to Zooville because I figure that, if anyone in the world has the resources, patience, understanding, connections, and sympathy to help, that person would be on this forum. This is not an attempt to sell/pimp a dog; it's a plea for assistance from like-minded animal-lovers who may be in the area, with access to contacts/resources than we are unable to tap into.

If any photos are posted in the future, they will be SFW only.

I'm keeping details vague for privacy's sake.

About the dog:

He's a sweet, older gentleman, pure-bred, 80 or so pounds, and is in great health. Very affectionate. Thinks that anything flavored like peanut butter is a gift from the Almighty. Loves to be stroked and petted and have his nose booped. Drinks water like it's going out of style and eats with such vigor that he wears bits of treats and kibble. Always wags his tail when making eye contact and will forcefully snuggle his way into a lap, if given the chance. Discovered the wonder of tennis balls and turns into a clumsy puppy when he plays with one.

Absolutely amazing doggo.

The only problems are that he was clearly someone's outside dog (despite being in great shape), and he has absolutely worn out our other dog to the point that friendly playtime and cohabitation is no longer possible. We checked for microchips, talked to shelters/rescues, asked around with friends/family/neighbors, and the best we've managed is "I'll call my organization" from a lady working at the vet. We'd love to keep this sweet fella, but he's made it clear that he prefers to be an only child, and we already have a furbaby we rescued from a similar situation. It's not fair to either dog to keep up the current arrangement of having the stray in a kennel and our boy closed in a bedroom all day to prevent conflict.

Our "guest" is also quite noisy and whining all the time, because he expects constant attention, likely from abandonment issues. We're reasonably sure that someone abandoned him because he is too old to serve as a breeder (backyard breeding/dog fights are a... "cultural problem" in this neighborhood, to put it in politically-correct terminology). This constant craving for attention and heart-breaking noise combines with his former "outside dog" status to create a noisy juggernaut who does not understand boundaries, bowls things over, and keeps everyone in the house from getting more than two hours of sleep at a time (if we're really lucky).

Before anyone even thinks of suggesting it, Animal Control was not only very clear that they're backlogged since mid-December on pickup requests, the officer was incredibly rude and even hostile when I attempted to ask direction to other resources. I was even threatened with fines for feeding a stray, so this avenue is very much closed to us.

Anyone who can offer help, guidance, or the contact information of a rescue/shelter in/near the 850 area code that isn't at capacity (or dedicated solely to small breeds) would be hugely appreciated.

Update:

Sleep is now something of a foreign concept, but we're at least on a sort of schedule, for better or worse. There is only the whining and howling of the house guest who will not leave. We've even gotten into a rotation of who is stuck on "dog duty" at a given time, to reduce stress and migraines.

The dog is also calming down, little by little.

The wife and I have taken to calling him JD (John Doe) and we've now had him long enough that we've refilled a big bag of senior dog food and worked out a schedule to rotate the dogs for potty time so that they can't beat each other up (nothing hostile, but they play rough and our boy's kind of a marshmallow).

I'm going to assume that nobody in the 850 area code has seen this thread, or that they have no resources which they feel will benefit our situation, so I'm resigning to "we have another dog" and pushing towards integrating with the family life in addition to basic obedience.

Animal Control has called to confirm that he's still with us and I informed the officer that he is, he's making progress on basic obedience, and that he's making friends with everyone he meets on walks, but he's constantly needing attention/to go through the door. She laughed and told me that she put "only child but likes visitors, peanut butter addiction, hyperactive, requires doggy door" in her notes about him. Thanks to sizeable grants from networks that service our area, the shelter's able to keep animals as long as needed to find them a home. One fella had been at the shelter for 2 years when we picked up our rescue beast, so we're not worried about JD being put down; just concerned that he'll be the old dog nobody wants. Vanity projects like murals painted on streets are sucking down funding that could even be used to repave those same streets or employee Shelter staff, but that's a rant for a different time and forum.

For now, there's a second dog in a one dog house and both of them are not sure how to feel about these living arrangements, but they're adjusting well enough. It's not much of a win, but it's the best we've had in a while. I'll take it.

Back