504 Gateway Time-out

Dunno about "often", but it does happen from time to time. A 504 USUALLY means that something is messed up in the internal routing of a network (such as whatever provider zooville is hosted on - you do know that one provider can host a theoretically infinite number of totally unrelated (other than being hosted by that provider) sites, right?) rather than the site (www.zooville.org) itself - it's telling you that despite trying for a while ("a while" is a variable amount of time from one network to the next - might be 500ms one place, 15 seconds someplace else, and "keep re-trying until somebody pulls the plug or the heat death of the universe happens, whichever comes first" for yet another) the request you made didn't get answered. Reasons for this are as varied as you can dream up - A backhoe operator trying to dig a ditch in Terra Haute held the lever for just that *TEENSY* instant too long, so his bucket cut a fiber line that happens to carry traffic between you and wherever you're trying to reach, a janitor in the hosting operation's office pulled the plug on a router to make room to plug in a vacuum cleaner, a tech in Sausalito splicing wires dripped a drop of sweat into an open patch-box and shorted a few dozen wires together - Basically, if you can dream up a reason for communications to be knocked out, that JUST MIGHT be why you're getting a 504. The only realistic thing that you as a user can do is try again later. The only thing the site-admins can do is ask their upstream what's going on. By the time that happens, the problem has frequently either cured itself without any intervention from either you or the site you're trying to reach, or is going to be an ongoing difficulty (such as the cut fiber line in Toledo) and the admins can't even put out a "this is what happened, this is when we think it'll be fixed" notification because they're just as "gagged" as you are deaf and blind.

I’ve been getting the same thing when trying to connect on my PC, yet I can connect with my phone just fine. Same internet, same browser, same VPN. Strange.

I’ve been getting the same thing when trying to connect on my PC, yet I can connect with my phone just fine. Same internet, same browser, same VPN. Strange.

If you can get here via your phone when you can't via your PC, the problem is (not might be, not could be, but *IS* - guaranteed) somewhere in the "plumbing" between your PC and the "in" side of your VPN provider. If the problem was somewhere between the "out" side of your VPN and Zooville you almost certainly wouldn't be able to get here from either piece of hardware if they're both configured to use the same VPN. (Your browser has no influence on whether you get a 504)

Even if you're using the same ISP for both phone and PC network access, I *ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE* that the data flowing between your ISP and your phone follows a path that's *TOTALLY* different than the path the same data would follow when you're using your PC.

Back