Zoo Visit Part 2: This time w Pictures! 👀

I took another visit to the zoo. I had a very good time though once again was faced with the overwhelming disappointment in the future generation. Some of the highlight quotes:

*while actively looking at a grizzly bear, surrounded by various signs that said such, a teen girl goes* "What is it??"

*when looking at an ocelot, teen boy goes* "its some sort of mini leopard."

Its the fact that there's signs and facts all over the zoo about the animals they're looking at, and the people around me couldn't even be bothered to read the signs.

It was pretty packed today which is why some of the pics are cropped odd, but I was lucky to get there early and get some really good pictures otherwise. I really wanted to be able to show some of those natural habitat enclosures I mentioned in my last post about the zoo. There's gonna be a lot on this post but I think you guys will enjoy it. Tell me what your favorite animal is!!
IMG_20240406_111820216.jpgIMG_20240406_111827562.jpgIMG_20240406_111615723.jpgIMG_20240406_110816044.jpgIMG_20240406_110814837.jpgIMG_20240406_105254575.jpg
IMG_20240406_100837384.jpg
IMG_20240406_100838476.jpgIMG_20240406_095818521.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_111609896.jpg
    IMG_20240406_111609896.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
What's the small (or at least, looks small - not really anything to give good scale) cat between the (looks like lobo or 'yote?) and the 'rillas?

Looks too small (and not marked right, not to mention the ears being all wrong) to be a serval, isn't spotted right to be an ocelot, and too "kitty-cat" looking to be anything else I recognize.

What's the small (or at least, looks small - not really anything to give good scale) cat between the (looks like lobo or 'yote?) and the 'rillas?

Looks too small (and not marked right, not to mention the ears being all wrong) to be a serval, isn't spotted right to be an ocelot, and too "kitty-cat" looking to be anything else I recognize.
It's a sand cat!! They're native to africa.

Unfortunately the ocelot exhibit was very crowded and I couldn't get a good picture of her. I was very happy to see the sand cat out and about today though!!

Of those pictured, my favorite would be the sand cat but I'm a "cat person" in general.
Of wild creatures in totality, my favorite I've seen in my own local zoo was a Tasmanian devil.

Though it never spun in a circle like in the old Warner Brothers/Bugs Bunny cartoons, it was obvious to see how the animators had developed that as an attempt to show its energy. The entire time I was there the little dog-like creature ran in a small oval track in its enclosure, never halting, a full-on sprint with no end. I think it wore me out just watching. :gsd_happysmile:

I know it's easier to lament the youngest generation, but also consider that for every 1,000 future idiots there is at least 1 future zoologist.
This is also super true!! I've worked with kids in the past and seeing many bright minds super excited to do things for the planet is amazing even if there are the fucking idiots spawning more idiots into the world.

This makes me think about one of my former students who went above and beyond on an earth day project I had them do and actually brought in Polaroids of her and her family planting a garden and getting chickens. If you teach kids to love and appreciate nature, then we all do better

I took another visit to the zoo. I had a very good time though once again was faced with the overwhelming disappointment in the future generation. Some of the highlight quotes:

*while actively looking at a grizzly bear, surrounded by various signs that said such, a teen girl goes* "What is it??"

*when looking at an ocelot, teen boy goes* "its some sort of mini leopard."

Its the fact that there's signs and facts all over the zoo about the animals they're looking at, and the people around me couldn't even be bothered to read the signs.

It was pretty packed today which is why some of the pics are cropped odd, but I was lucky to get there early and get some really good pictures otherwise. I really wanted to be able to show some of those natural habitat enclosures I mentioned in my last post about the zoo. There's gonna be a lot on this post but I think you guys will enjoy it. Tell me what your favorite animal is!!

View attachment 550538
Well 🦬 are so amazing, but this guy is so relatable. I swear he is trying to drop a deuce and just wants some privacy.

Back