Why Does Your Dog Lick Your Feet? You Might Be Surprised!

QuantumHusky

Citizen of Zooville
You might be surprised that this is a normal thing for dogs to do. If you are a zoo like me you might not mind. However, if you don't like playing footsies in a metaphorical sense you might be wondering why the endless foot licking from your dog companion? You might be shocked to know that dogs love to lick feet because human feet excrete a chemical that's an aphrodisiac to dogs. So what is this? Well, an aphrodisiac is a substance that increases sexual desire, sexual attraction, sexual pleasure, or sexual behavior. So essentially they are turning themselves on by licking your feet! I am not into feet myself but I do get some licks from my girl from time to time. Let me know if your k9 partner does this to you as well!

Not all dogs will go for feet though. Similar to dogs and licking in general. Some like it some do not...I've met dogs who love to lick feet but nowhere else I've met dogs who love to kiss but won't lick anywhere else I've also met dogs who lick all over no matter what and some nowhere at all except for the occasional kiss.

Not trying to disprove anything you post....just things aren't always as black and white.....hate for someone to see this and except every dog to lick their feet then be dissapointed when some just won't.

It is absolutely adorable when you find one who does lick feet...it feels so nice.....I am sensitive and can be ticklish like everywhere so I absolutely love it when my dog gives them the occasional lick :3

Not all dogs will go for feet though. Similar to dogs and licking in general. Some like it some do not...I've met dogs who love to lick feet but nowhere else I've met dogs who love to kiss but won't lick anywhere else I've also met dogs who lick all over no matter what and some nowhere at all except for the occasional kiss.

Not trying to disprove anything you post....just things aren't always as black and white.....hate for someone to see this and except every dog to lick their feet then be dissapointed when some just won't.

It is absolutely adorable when you find one who does lick feet...it feels so nice.....I am sensitive and can be ticklish like everywhere so I absolutely love it when my dog gives them the occasional lick :3
We agree most of the way - 'cept the tickling part. I find tickling VERY unpleasant about 99.98% of the time. Dunno why, but tickling hits me as not-really pain, but highly undesirable anyway. 🤷‍♂️

So I'm weird. So sue me - Hmmm... Still no "razzberry" emoji. Guess I gotta import one: 1621918456073.png

Not trying to disprove anything you post....just things aren't always as black and white.....hate for someone to see this and except every dog to lick their feet then be disappointed when some just won't.

You are absolutely right some dogs just don't like to lick feet. This doesn't mean that they don't like you or your feet! It just means that its just not their thing. Dogs like humans aren't carbon copies of each other and will have preferences.

We agree most of the way - 'cept the tickling part. I find tickling VERY unpleasant about 99.98% of the time. Dunno why, but tickling hits me as not-really pain, but highly undesirable anyway. 🤷‍♂️

So I'm weird. So sue me - Hmmm... Still no "razzberry" emoji. Guess I gotta import one: View attachment 165868
For me it's weird.... tickling I sometimes like and will flinch but not in a bad way....sometimes it feels like a relaxing tickle.....one that gives me goosebumps and I never want it to end and sometimes I get that exact feeling you describe....not pain but like an unpleasant uncomfortable feeling (usually when it comes to my armpits if a person is trying to tickle me) a dog's tongue on me feet though.....it's bliss for me :3 but there is a little that a dog does that I would not categorize as bliss in my eyes.

Dogs like to lick your feet because they smell like cheese! 🧀🧀 Mmmmmm... yummy!

My girls sometimes lick my feet and it really doesn't do much for me. If they do it while I'm not paying attention my first reaction is to yeet my feet away from them because I am especially foot ticklish. But if I'm watching my feet while they lick them it's more of a "eh, this feels kinda nice, so I don't intend on stopping you." sorta dealio. I've never heard of the "aphrodisiac to dogs" thing. I might have to look into it just for curiosity's sake. Since my newfie, which is the doggy girl that I'm the most sexually active with, is usually my girl to do it. While my mutt mix, despite loving to lick everything from the walls, to the couch, to my clothes, doesn't lick my feet all that often.

Mine does lick my feet when it's bedtime and she's under the covers for the night. I'm so used to it that I barely notice it. When another person sees her licking my feet, they will get the phantom tickles.

Every dog I've had liked to lick my feet. Made me squeal like a girl if caught unawares :oops:

cat-smelling-owner-feet-puke-face-stinky-feet.gif

i've seen similar information presented in a documentary about odors a while back and took it for bs, tho it stated that feet taste/smell is very similar to a girl in heat rather than being aphrodisiacal. i'm yet to encounter a "foot fetish dog".

I've heard that smells, no matter how bad it stinks, doesn't faze a dog. Anyone know if this is bullshit or not? I haven't seen any of my dogs recoil from a smell except for shedded rattlesnake skin which is probably from instinct.

I just want to clear something up really quick. As stated in this post there may be other reasons your dog is doing things she/ he does. For example, a rogue foot fungus, generally showing affection, as well as many other reasons. This was more of an informal article that was meant to make you go, "hmm? that's interesting" Dogs are free spirits and not a wax mold that you can pour them all into. So read through all the replies here and know that while the research is there, there could be other reasons for things your dog is doing!

I just want to clear something up really quick. As stated in this post there may be other reasons your dog is doing things she/ he does. For example, a rogue foot fungus, generally showing affection, as well as many other reasons. This was more of an informal article that was meant to make you go, "hmm? that's interesting" Dogs are free spirits and not a wax mold that you can pour them all into. So read through all the replies here and know that while the research is there, there could be other reasons for things your dog is doing!
You did make it interesting. That's why posts are all over the place. They're thinking 'why does it do that', 'maybe that's why it does that' and so on.

My other dog has to lick the sweat of my head after a hot day in the yard. She'll try to climb anything to reach my forehead. Some days I'm having my feet and my head licked at the same time.

You did make it interesting. That's why posts are all over the place. They're thinking 'why does it do that', 'maybe that's why it does that' and so on.

Well, I am glad I can make it interesting with regards to people that are thinking 'why does my companion he/ she do that, 'maybe that's why my companion he/ she does that' and so on. :p Glad that I can bring fun facts to the table and lots of writing as well haha. I kind of needed this (a place to share information and type blogs etc) as it's been way too long since I actually typed anything.

Maybe you should teach. A sign of a good teacher is keeping it interesting.
Well, I am glad I can make it interesting with regards to people that are thinking 'why does my companion he/ she do that, 'maybe that's why my companion he/ she does that' and so on. :p Glad that I can bring fun facts to the table and lots of writing as well haha. I kind of needed this (a place to share information and type blogs etc) as it's been way too long since I actually typed anything.

Your dogs are trying to help you with your illness. The feet do not smell of cheese, at most slightly sour, like lactic acid. All other foot odors are due to fungal diseases. FloofyNewfie, you've athlete's foot! The cause is a mixture of a hygiene problem and a pathogenic fungal infection.

The highest concentration of pathogenic fungal germs are the spaces between the small toes. Healthy toenails are transparent, toenails infected with fungi are cloudy!

Buy new shoes, but first treat your feet with fungal cream before putting on the new shoes. Buy antifungal creams with the active ingredients clotrimazole or terbinafine hydrochloride (Lamisil cream) at the pharmacy. Application, see package insert.

The fungal toxins, in my opinion, trigger alcoholism (A parasite influences its host, mostly through chemical pathways). My own research approaches point this out.
Shove your "research" in a place where the ink wont fade, Bubba. You said NOTHING that you couldn't get off the boxes or the info sheets inside...Alcoholism isnt that simple...but lack of a brain might be...night now

Btw, for those who thought this nit was serious, Athletes Foot is a problem for a lot of us... changes in the tannage of leather, especially in South America and China have exacerbated the problem. Certain types of Soap carry some of the same chemistry...you can change the soap you use on your feet to something like Johnsons Foot Soap, or try just bathing your feet, no soap. Keep your socks dry. If you dont know the origin of your shoes... See if theres a label inside....imports require an identifiable nation of mfr.

This is one instance in which it pays to buy American.

Back