• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Updates on my boy

DaddyDomDog

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
I learned he was mostly kenneled before he was rescued. Seems they either had him in his crate or outside, he was barely allowed any time out. I am really pissed off at that fact.

Has anyone dealt with a neglected animal? Anything I should anticipate?

He is adjusting well. He has free range and a yard to play in. He seems to be adjusting well.

How old is he? Make sure you set boundaries and be strict but caring in enforcing them. A neglected pup will probably have no manners or training.

I’d especially worry about his socialization. How does he react to new people? New dogs? Is he fearful of new environments? Bring him everywhere you go and get him used to meeting new people and dogs as much as you can.

How old is he? Make sure you set boundaries and be strict but caring in enforcing them. A neglected pup will probably have no manners or training.

I’d especially worry about his socialization. How does he react to new people? New dogs? Is he fearful of new environments? Bring him everywhere you go and get him used to meeting new people and dogs as much as you can.
He is two. Surprisingly well behaved. He has been good around new dogs and people. So far he is enjoying walks and seeing new environments.

He is definitely better behaved than other dogs I have known in his position.

spoil the fuck out of him. they deserve nothing less.
my late love was a neglected dog (if you can call "almost starved to death" just "neglected") when i adopted him. he was 10 and his whole life to that point was a small yard, his front paws were deformed because all he ever walked on was concrete. i'll never forget the look on his face when he was allowed inside the house (any house apparently) for the first time... then on couch.. then in the bed... then got to try what pizza tastes like when his stomach got a bit better (he was so starved out he tried his luck with fucking gravel).

If he was crated/caged a whole lot, then there may be times when the world is just too big for him. If you notice him being restless, especially at times when you feel like he should be laying down, you may need to get him a box, OR, if you have a crate, that will work too.

Now, I'm NOT suggesting you crate him, but that you have a smaller, enclosed area for him to go to chill and relax, it SHOULD be open ended, or if it actually is a crate, tie the door back to keep it open.

MOST animals have an instinctive desire to crawl up into enclosed spaces anyway, that's millions of years of instinct in action, safety, protection, eliminating vulnerability, etc. The way cats are commonly shown doing in endless internet vids. But, with a dog (or any animal with similar life circumstances, really) who's been treated this way, this may be something that will help ease him along and keep him from getting to anxious.

Last edited:
spoil the fuck out of him. they deserve nothing less.
my late love was a neglected dog (if you can call "almost starved to death" just "neglected") when i adopted him. he was 10 and his whole life to that point was a small yard, his front paws were deformed because all he ever walked on was concrete. i'll never forget the look on his face when he was allowed inside the house (any house apparently) for the first time... then on couch.. then in the bed... then got to try what pizza tastes like when his stomach got a bit better (he was so starved out he tried his luck with fucking gravel).
That is very kind of you I am glad you showed him a good life.

If he was crated/caged a whole lot, then there may be times when the world is just too big for him. If you notice him being restless, especially at times when you feel like he should be laying down, you may need to get him a box, OR, if you have a crate, that will work too.

Now, I'm NOT suggesting you crate him, but that you have a smaller, enclosed area for him to go to chill and relax, it SHOULD be open ended, or if it actually is a crate, tie the door back to keep it open.

MOST animals have an instinctive desire to craw up into enclosed spaces anyway, that's millions of years of instinct in action, safety, protection, eliminating vulnerability, etc. The way cats are commonly shown doing in endless internet vids. But, with a dog (or any animal with similar life circumstances, really) who's been treated this way, this may be something that will help ease him along and keep him from getting to anxious.
Thank you for the tips I will keep this in mind.

Just show as much love and respect as you can. Reduce their fear by hugging and soft high frequency babble, tickles and smiles. A doggy treat to support the happy times will help a lot to encourage happiness.. make sure his tail wags often. It is therapy in itself. All the best to you both.

Just show as much love and respect as you can. Reduce their fear by hugging and soft high frequency babble, tickles and smiles. A doggy treat to support the happy times will help a lot to encourage happiness.. make sure his tail wags often. It is therapy in itself. All the best to you both.
Yeah so far I have just been showing him love and affection.

He is totally home now. You can tell he loves his new home with how comfortable he is. He is very affectionate. I am blessed to have found him.

I learned he was mostly kenneled before he was rescued. Seems they either had him in his crate or outside, he was barely allowed any time out. I am really pissed off at that fact.

Has anyone dealt with a neglected animal? Anything I should anticipate?

He is adjusting well. He has free range and a yard to play in. He seems to be adjusting well.
Is this the canine we were talking about?

Back