Traveling with a Dog overseas.

D

Darkmoon2020

Are there people who travels with their pet overseas? How was your experience on a plane?
Pros? Cons?

I think that the big reason why I don't have a pet is because I don't want to be stuck in my country because of a pet 😆

I see a lot if videos in YouTube doing it and seems to be ok.

Don't fly.
The airline will always drug your dog, regardless of what they tell you or the policy. In the 80's, major airlines got busted for this in a big expose into their pet practises.
Nearly lost one of my boys back then as he was allergic to common anesthetics at the time :cry:

In a nutshell, I'd have to say don't even try. it's almost certainly going to be such a pain in the ass that you'll wish you'd either stayed home, or left Fido at the pet-sitter's, or both. Many (not all, and it may (don't know for sure) be that you can get a waiver in some cases) countries have an "absolutely no deviations allowed, ever, for any reason, period! Shut up, the discussion is over!" level mandatory quarantine period for the critter, which might be anywhere from 7 to 90 days, depending on the county you're entering. The costs, including governmental markup, taxes, fees, and surcharges of this quarantine fall on you, and can get into 5 or 6 figures to the left of the decimal point. Some countries are worse than others, some better. Iceland being a prime example - they have one of the strictest (if not THE most restrictive) regulations in the world. Essentially, *NOTHING* *EQUINE* *GETS* *IN* *PERIOD* - as I understand it, if you attempt to bring a horse/mule/donkey/zebra/quagga, or any other equine into iceland, you have two options: (A) It never leaves the boat until the boat makes landfall somewhere else, or (B) it gets shot (or chemical equivalent) and the carcass is immediately delivered directly to the nearest incinerator big enough to fit it through the loading hatch - take your pick. They're *INCREDIBLY protective of the Icelandic horse bloodlines, and prevention of any possible equine disease - So much that I understand that if a horse leaves Iceland as an export, it can never, EVER return. It's possible to import stallion semen, and/or ova for AI, but bringing in an actual live horse is absolutely forbidden. Similarly, try to get a cat into Australia, either openly, or smuggled. According to info (true, false, or otherwise? You decide - I'm just passing along what I've heard/read) accumulated over the years, such an ATTEMPT - never mind actually getting to the point of letting Kitty's toes touch Australian soil - is good for a mighty long prison sentence (and that doesn't even consider the "this feline is contraband, and will be destroyed" aspect) And as far as dogs, Who was it? Johnny Depp and his old-lady, I think? - just got smacked *HARD* a year or two ago 'cause he didn't put a couple of those high-fashion, zero-value yap-dogs through the properly approved Australian quarantine/inspection/customs/etc bullshit - flying them in on his private plane, then out again after a stay of I-forget-how-long-it-was for some function or other. Seems to me I recall the fine totaling out to somewhere in the quarter million dollar range.

To know for sure how much headache it's going to be to get Fido, Fluffy, Francis, or other four-legger into some foreign country, you're going to have to do a country-by-country survey of the applicable laws. Anything else is guesswork. Assume that there's gonna be a bunch of paperwork (and probably fees), at least, and probably a quarantine period (and more of a wallet-drain) and you won't be disappointed. You might actually end up pleasantly surprised when it turns out that some little nothing of a country you want to visit has few or no restrictions, but expect that case to be right on the verge of nonexistent.

In a nutshell, I'd have to say don't even try. it's almost certainly going to be such a pain in the ass that you'll wish you'd either stayed home, or left Fido at the pet-sitter's, or both. Many (not all, and it may (don't know for sure) be that you can get a waiver in some cases) countries have an "absolutely no deviations allowed, ever, for any reason, period! Shut up, the discussion is over!" level mandatory quarantine period for the critter, which might be anywhere from 7 to 90 days, depending on the county you're entering. The costs, including governmental markup, taxes, fees, and surcharges of this quarantine fall on you, and can get into 5 or 6 figures to the left of the decimal point. Some countries are worse than others, some better. Iceland being a prime example - they have one of the strictest (if not THE most restrictive) regulations in the world. Essentially, *NOTHING* *EQUINE* *GETS* *IN* *PERIOD* - as I understand it, if you attempt to bring a horse/mule/donkey/zebra/quagga, or any other equine into iceland, you have two options: (A) It never leaves the boat until the boat makes landfall somewhere else, or (B) it gets shot (or chemical equivalent) and the carcass is immediately delivered directly to the nearest incinerator big enough to fit it through the loading hatch - take your pick. They're *INCREDIBLY protective of the Icelandic horse bloodlines, and prevention of any possible equine disease - So much that I understand that if a horse leaves Iceland as an export, it can never, EVER return. It's possible to import stallion semen, and/or ova for AI, but bringing in an actual live horse is absolutely forbidden. Similarly, try to get a cat into Australia, either openly, or smuggled. According to info (true, false, or otherwise? You decide - I'm just passing along what I've heard/read) accumulated over the years, such an ATTEMPT - never mind actually getting to the point of letting Kitty's toes touch Australian soil - is good for a mighty long prison sentence (and that doesn't even consider the "this feline is contraband, and will be destroyed" aspect) And as far as dogs, Who was it? Johnny Depp and his old-lady, I think? - just got smacked *HARD* a year or two ago 'cause he didn't put a couple of those high-fashion, zero-value yap-dogs through the properly approved Australian quarantine/inspection/customs/etc bullshit - flying them in on his private plane, then out again after a stay of I-forget-how-long-it-was for some function or other. Seems to me I recall the fine totaling out to somewhere in the quarter million dollar range.

To know for sure how much headache it's going to be to get Fido, Fluffy, Francis, or other four-legger into some foreign country, you're going to have to do a country-by-country survey of the applicable laws. Anything else is guesswork. Assume that there's gonna be a bunch of paperwork (and probably fees), at least, and probably a quarantine period (and more of a wallet-drain) and you won't be disappointed. You might actually end up pleasantly surprised when it turns out that some little nothing of a country you want to visit has few or no restrictions, but expect that case to be right on the verge of nonexistent.

This ☝️

Not to mention that the cargo holds where the pet carriers are placed are non climate controlled and there have been hundreds of cases of the pet being frozen to death or cooked because of it, not to mention that they will be covered in their own excrement and stressed from the journey, unless you are moving overseas permanently, it ain't worth their lives and if you do move overseas going by cruise ship that'll allow you to visit your pets in the hold would be the only viable solution imo.

Why are pets treated this way? It's very inhumane.

There should be a pet care section where pets can walk around

Oh, yeah... GREAT idea... Let's have a 1200 (or more) pound horse wandering around the cargo area, diddling with the balance of the plane and throwing off the pilot's control inputs simple by moving around, maybe slipping and falling, pissing/shitting wherever it happens to be standing... Hell, let's add to the fun - let's get 6-8 of them wandering here and there - And let's film it for youtube as the pilot desperately tries to pull the plane out of a nosedive after something spooks the whole damned herd and all of them run to the front of the plane, causing it to nose-down despite the pilot hauling on the yoke with everything he's got...

No thank you please!

I like you, Recon, I honestly do. But sometimes your level of naïveté/pollyanna-ism/rose-colored-glasses syndrome is so far over the top I just want to reach through the screen and try to smack it out of you!

Oh, yeah... GREAT idea... Let's have a 1200 (or more) pound horse wandering around the cargo area, diddling with the balance of the plane and throwing off the pilot's control inputs simple by moving around, maybe slipping and falling, pissing/shitting wherever it happens to be standing... Hell, let's add to the fun - let's get 6-8 of them wandering here and there - And let's film it for youtube as the pilot desperately tries to pull the plane out of a nosedive after something spooks the whole damned herd and all of them run to the front of the plane, causing it to nose-down despite the pilot hauling on the yoke with everything he's got...

No thank you please!

I like you, Recon, I honestly do. But sometimes your level of naïveté/pollyanna-ism/rose-colored-glasses syndrome is so far over the top I just want to reach through the screen and try to smack it out of you!
I didnt say horses. I'm saying small types like dogs or the like

I didnt say horses. I'm saying small types like dogs or the like
How much extra are you willing to pay on top of your ticket price when (not if, when) Fido decides it's time to take a dump and somebody has to clean it up? (Forget "I'll take care of that" - No, you won't. You won't be allowed anywhere near the cargo area, so put that idea straight out to pasture as the non-starter it is.) How about paying extra to hire the person (more likely personS, as in more than one) that are going to be in the hold supervising your proposed "in-flight pooch play area" while you make the jump to Abu Dhabi, or wherever it is you're going? You can damn-well bet that the airline isn't gonna provide them gratis. Depending on the flight, I'd take a stab at somewhere between a hundred and 500 bucks worth of surcharge for that. You don't honestly believe that anybody in their right mind is gonna let Darling Poochie (AKA "That goddamned spoiled pain in the ass dog" to the folks who have to put up with its antics) wander around in an airplane unsupervised, to shit, piss, and/or gnaw on whatever takes his fancy, do you? And on, and on, and on... There are reasons - both practical and financial - why critters on planes are handled the way they are, and have been for years. And will continue to be well into the foreseeable future. You may not know, understand, or even be able to imagine what those reasons might be, but they exist, and are valid.

How much extra are you willing to pay on top of your ticket price when (not if, when) Fido decides it's time to take a dump and somebody has to clean it up? (Forget "I'll take care of that" - No, you won't. You won't be allowed anywhere near the cargo area, so put that idea straight out to pasture as the non-starter it is.) How about paying extra to hire the person (more likely personS, as in more than one) that are going to be in the hold supervising your proposed "in-flight pooch play area" while you make the jump to Abu Dhabi, or wherever it is you're going? You can damn-well bet that the airline isn't gonna provide them gratis. Depending on the flight, I'd take a stab at somewhere between a hundred and 500 bucks worth of surcharge for that. You don't honestly believe that anybody in their right mind is gonna let Darling Poochie (AKA "That goddamned spoiled pain in the ass dog" to the folks who have to put up with its antics) wander around in an airplane unsupervised, to shit, piss, and/or gnaw on whatever takes his fancy, do you? And on, and on, and on... There are reasons - both practical and financial - why critters on planes are handled the way they are, and have been for years. And will continue to be well into the foreseeable future. You may not know, understand, or even be able to imagine what those reasons might be, but they exist, and are valid.
You mean its because they are too cheap to allow them to be comfortable and not have high risk of death? Somehow gets away with animal cruelty. Due to those inhumane conditions

Because the way I see it your defending that type of garbage they do

You mean its because they are too cheap to allow them to be comfortable and not have high risk of death? Somehow gets away with animal cruelty. Due to those inhumane conditions

Because the way I see it your defending that type of garbage they do
Now you're obviously deliberately trying to act stupid. Forget it, kid, It isn't endearing. Use your head for something other than a place to park a hat.

Now you're obviously deliberately trying to act stupid. Forget it, kid, It isn't endearing. Use your head for something other than a place to park a hat.
Nope I won't. Obviously it's very defendable to allow a pet to freeze or burn to death. I'm guessing your ok with that.

Nope I won't. Obviously it's very defendable to allow a pet to freeze or burn to death. I'm guessing your ok with that.
Remember that comment about sometimes wanting to reach through the screen? That urge is coming on strong right now. You're playing stupid for the sake of sounding stupid, and when it isn't obviously to further a joke, that just might qualify as the worst possible thing a human being can do according to my standards.

Remember that comment about sometimes wanting to reach through the screen? That urge is coming on strong right now. You're playing stupid for the sake of sounding stupid, and when it isn't obviously to further a joke, that just might qualify as the worst possible thing a human being can do according to my standards.
Yes you agree that its inhumane 🤣

Don't fly.
The airline will always drug your dog, regardless of what they tell you or the policy. In the 80's, major airlines got busted for this in a big expose into their pet practises.
Nearly lost one of my boys back then as he was allergic to common anesthetics at the time
maybe inthe US, but in other countries you can fly them on the cabin as “suport dog”

Back