Tips for Doggy Breath?

ZephyrZoo

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Hi all,

I did look and I can't seem to find any tips here for getting rid of doggy breath. I know I'm going to get a lot of naturalists saying that that's how it's supposed to be and I must get used to it etc. but just bear with me. My lady friend is a big licker and I love being on the receiving end but not when it's a bit pungent. She hates having her teeth brushed and the general tips on the Internet (I've tried them all) are more aimed at folk who aren't so *close* with their dogs. Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Im right there with ya. I love my boy 100% but man he can have some absolutely rank breath. And of course we sleep pretty much nose to nose at night so its pretty bad in the mornings lol.

Ive tried: the water additive, the curved toothbrushes, the denta stix bites, different dog foods etc. They work maybe 20%. Next step is taking him to the vet where they can sedate him and give him a full dental cleaning... but other than it cost almost $1000 dollars and for no real medical reason other than bad breath... it seems like too much of a risk.

I gave my dog Greenies, they're dental dog treats that helped a lot with his breath, and luckily he loved them as a treat too. Worked quite well
Yea, I tried those. My girl seems to chew them once or twice and then just swallow them. I think the whole point is to chew them to clean the teeth, so those didn't work.😢

Im right there with ya. I love my boy 100% but man he can have some absolutely rank breath. And of course we sleep pretty much nose to nose at night so its pretty bad in the mornings lol.
Absolutely, I love having my fave assaulted by a barrage of picked before I even open my eyes but I would enjoy it much more if I didn't have to hold my breath and push her away😂
Ive tried: the water additive, the curved toothbrushes, the denta stix bites, different dog foods etc. They work maybe 20%. Next step is taking him to the vet where they can sedate him and give him a full dental cleaning... but other than it cost almost $1000 dollars and for no real medical reason other than bad breath... it seems like too much of a risk.
Yea, I'm thinking maybe she must just deal with having her teeth brushed. Doesn't seem like there's many other options.

I think I'll try the greenies, both my boy and I are kissers but his breath is a little too strong sometimes. What about giving him a breathmint? I've only thought of that but haven't done it.

There has to be a way to ease her into brushing her teeth. If she really hates it and there's no way she's going to put up with it... dental treats is the only other thing I can think of, and someone's already mentioned that :(
Yea... She has a lot of toys that she chews. She's got a rope toy, I thought of putting some toothpaste on it and letting her chew it.😂
How long have you been trying to get her comfortable with brushing her teeth?
Only for a year or so, she acts like she's being tortured😂 Little trick I've figured out is that she loves carrots so when she crunches through them they do a decent job of cleaning her teeth.

I mean, I trained my pup the moment I got him home to enjoy having his teeth brushed (he's just finishing up teething so he really likes chewing on the bristles. But teething breath is absolutely RANK. Like hot wet garbage on a scorching summer day in southern Arizona, bad.

I don't know if it works, but I do know he likes chewing on big bones. The ones here at the pet store are smoked only, so they're not (as) dangerous, and he'll chew on those for hours. Even if they don't like the brushing of the teeth, get the enzymatic toothpaste anyway, and cover one of their favorite chew toys in it. It's better than nothing. I have the vanilla ginger flavored one for my pup, and he absolutely loves it. Best part is that his breath doesn't smell like peanut butter or "beef" afterwards - it's actually rather pleasant all things considered.

The enzymatic toothpaste suggestion above is probably your best bet! greenies and other such treats / chews don’t actually help dental health at all.
The reason why you can’t get rid of the smell is because it’s from tooth decay happening below the gum line. dogs tend to need regular dental cleanings - I would suggest getting a professional cleaning and then starting from scratch with toothpaste every day (or as close to every day as you can get). If you can’t brush her teeth, rub it on her gums and let her lick it off, or coat a toy / chew with it as the previous commenter said.

Back