• Suddenly unable to log into your ZooVille account? This might be the reason why: CLICK HERE!

Spay and Neuter: Risk vs Reward

originalnamehere

Citizen of Zooville
I'm looking for information on the real risk vs rewards of spay and neuter.
I know it decreases/eliminates the risk of reproductive illnesses but I've also been told it increases the risks and rates of other cancers and illnesses.
I'd like to hear all about it. From bone density to behavior issues to the claim it increases life span.
(I made a post asking about pyo before so I'm not looking for more info on that at the moment.)

Reactions: Aka
I know it decreases/eliminates the risk of reproductive illnesses but I've also been told it increases the risks and rates of other cancers and illnesses.
I'd like to hear all about it. From bone density to behavior issues to the claim it increases life span.
(I made a post asking about pyo before so I'm not looking for more info on that at the moment.)

u can ask a vet directly =)

Reactions: IHO
There are many threads about this. I suggest you use the forum search feature. I don't know where they are off memory to link for you

One thing to consider is feral reproduction. i.e. Is it possible for your whoever to make unwanted babies?

there are more disadvantages than advantages and above all a 100% negative experience in relation to my first male dog at 1 and a half years old suffering from osteosarcoma due to early castration (1989). Since then, I have gained a lot of experience and knowledge about the side effects which are numerous. If I have to castrate my dog, it will only be for two medical reasons, prostate hyperplasia and testicular tumors. for the rest if I have to make my dog sterile, I prefer the vasectomy which is much more respectful for the male dog. To say that this increases the lifespan is just a pure lie propagated by shelters.... the longevity of a dog is like us, first its genetics and hereditary, then its lifestyle, see his diet...

Responsibility increases lifespan. Most intact dogs don’t live as long as altered dogs because most owners of intact dogs don’t properly take care of them. So yes the average intact dog doesn’t live as long as the average altered dog. That’s where that partial truth comes from. However the oldest living dogs are actually intact. Nobody wants you to know that part though so they leave it out.

Here’s a nice graph I like to refer to. Keep in mind this graph doesn’t take size into consideration, but I’m sure you’ll get similar results regardless.PNG image.png

One thing to consider is feral reproduction. i.e. Is it possible for your whoever to make unwanted babies?
Just be responsible. Keep your dog on your property, and keep an eye on him/her when they are outside. There are too many potential downsides to getting a dog spayed/neutered to make spaying/neutering worth it just to prevent reproduction.

Responsibility increases lifespan. Most intact dogs don’t live as long as altered dogs because most owners of intact dogs don’t properly take care of them. So yes the average intact dog doesn’t live as long as the average altered dog. That’s where that partial truth comes from. However the oldest living dogs are actually intact. Nobody wants you to know that part though so they leave it out.

Here’s a nice graph I like to refer to. Keep in mind this graph doesn’t take size into consideration, but I’m sure you’ll get similar results regardless.View attachment 578322
prove the reliability of your sources, especially when they come from castration and sterilization professionals.... But for my part, no one will convince me that this increases the lifespan in dogs, because if that were the case, it We have been considering doing this in humans for a long time now. 🤣😂😂

Remember the oldest dog would have lived 31 years and he was not neutered !!!!

in the 1980s, my grandparents and Boxer breeders, we kept their breeding males for 15 and a half years, just a healthy lifestyle, good nutrition, no industrial kibble, but only meat, vegetables; Normally, a Boxer does not or rarely exceed the age of 13....

Last edited:
there are more disadvantages than advantages and above all a 100% negative experience in relation to my first male dog at 1 and a half years old suffering from osteosarcoma due to early castration (1989). Since then, I have gained a lot of experience and knowledge about the side effects which are numerous. If I have to castrate my dog, it will only be for two medical reasons, prostate hyperplasia and testicular tumors. for the rest if I have to make my dog sterile, I prefer the vasectomy which is much more respectful for the male dog. To say that this increases the lifespan is just a pure lie propagated by shelters.... the longevity of a dog is like us, first its genetics and hereditary, then its lifestyle, see his diet...
The osteosarcoma is interesting to me because bone density in humans can decrease from lack proper hormones. Is there any evidence of happening in dogs as well? Specifically females since estrogen plays a large part in bone density.

The osteosarcoma is interesting to me because bone density in humans can decrease from lack proper hormones. Is there any evidence of happening in dogs as well? Specifically females since estrogen plays a large part in bone density.
This is what happened to me with my first dog, (1989) a long-haired Dachshund adopted at 5 and a half months and a veterinarian who advised me to reduce his unwanted barking (I was a beginner at 100 % in this area). the veterinarians who castrated her at 6 months assured me that her castration had nothing to do with her bone cancer, it was by requesting a second opinion from another veterinarian who certified me that the absence of hormones ( testosterone) during its growth allowed the development of this osteosarcoma and also in certain breeds of dogs crossbreed or not, notably Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Griffons and all hunting dogs like mine currently (Amstaff x Epagneul Breton).. Male or female hormones have a vital role in future growth... I have already seen Amstaffs castrated too early with the result of a loss or total absence of muscle mass and in males, the genital tract atrophy ... IF it is necessary to castrate, although I am 100% against it, it is better to do it after its final growth which varies from 2 years to 4 years...

for my other information about the disadvantages and side effects of castration and some small advantages below in thread 👇
https://www.zoovilleforum.net/threads/handjob-for-male-dog.14241/post-1302781

Last edited:
Th
This is what happened to me with my first dog, (1989) a long-haired Dachshund adopted at 5 and a half months and a veterinarian who advised me to reduce his unwanted barking (I was a beginner at 100 % in this area). the veterinarians who castrated her at 6 months assured me that her castration had nothing to do with her bone cancer, it was by requesting a second opinion from another veterinarian who certified me that the absence of hormones ( testosterone) during its growth allowed the development of this osteosarcoma and also in certain breeds of dogs crossbreed or not, notably Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Griffons and all hunting dogs like mine currently (Amstaff x Epagneul Breton).. Male or female hormones have a vital role in future growth... I have already seen Amstaffs castrated too early with the result of a loss or total absence of muscle mass and in males, the genital tract atrophy ... IF it is necessary to castrate, although I am 100% against it, it is better to do it after its final growth which varies from 2 years to 4 years...

for my other information about the disadvantages and side effects of castration and some small advantages below in thread 👇
https://www.zoovilleforum.net/threads/handjob-for-male-dog.14241/post-1302781
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated!

Here’s a nice graph I like to refer to. Keep in mind this graph doesn’t take size into consideration, but I’m sure you’ll get similar results regardless.View attachment 578322
Source of this graph ?

prove the reliability of your sources
Source of this graph ?
https://skeptvet.com/Blog/2019/08/neutered-dogs-live-longer-than-intact-dogs/
Here’s where I found the graph. This websites one of the more unbiased sources for pet health info.
Remember the oldest dog would have lived 31 years and he was not neutered !!!!

in the 1980s, my grandparents and Boxer breeders, we kept their breeding males for 15 and a half years, just a healthy lifestyle, good nutrition, no industrial kibble, but only meat, vegetables; Normally, a Boxer does not or rarely exceed the age of 13....
I did state that the oldest living dogs are intact. The most responsible dog owners, keep their dogs intact, and take proper care of them and they live longer than altered dogs. Unfortunately, the least responsible dog owners also keep their dogs intact, don’t take proper care of them, and they don’t live as long as altered dogs. Sadly, the majority fall into that less responsible category. That’s why the numbers are how they are. Even with all that though, on average, neutered males don’t even live a month longer, and spayed females live just over 6 months longer, so it’s really nothing notable, especially in males.

Last edited:
https://skeptvet.com/Blog/2019/08/neutered-dogs-live-longer-than-intact-dogs/
Here’s where I found the graph. This websites one of the more unbiased sources for pet health info.

I did state that the oldest living dogs are intact. The most responsible dog owners, keep their dogs intact, and take proper care of them and they live longer than altered dogs. Unfortunately, the least responsible dog owners also keep their dogs intact, don’t take proper care of them, and they don’t live as long as altered dogs. Sadly, the majority fall into that less responsible category. That’s why the numbers are how they are. Even with all that though, on average, neutered males don’t even live a month longer, and spayed females live just over 6 months longer, so it’s really nothing notable, especially in males.
sorry if I misinterpreted your initial message, I used the Google translator for English to French and vice versa. It often happens that the translator interprets incorrectly in my French language and vice versa.😉

sorry if I misinterpreted your initial message, I used the Google translator for English to French and vice versa. It often happens that the translator interprets incorrectly in my French language and vice versa.😉
No worries I understand. Translators aren’t always the best.

Back