should i have tried harder to not have me and my roommate’s dog fixed?

it’s just really hard to justify it to most people, even to myself. i’m really new to all this, so I hope you can understand why I just let it happen.

its considered a safety thing, something for the health of the dog, and something to prevent a male dog from smelling a female in heat and running away to find her. there’s a lot of reasons why we as a society encourage it.
but i’ve seen a lot of stuff on here about how its mutilation, and i can completely see why. it is a surgery that a dog would probably not consent to.

i feel guilt, and i felt guilt for feeling guilt because one of the main reasons why i would’ve prevented that surgery was just so i could see if the dog wanted to have sex with me or something, and THATS selfish. hopefully this makes sense, i’m just curious if anyone else struggled with being a co-dog owner and having to fix a dog because you live with someone who would be highly against leaving them alone

That's the problem with co ownership of animals with non zoos it's kinda like shooting yourself. You end up with a decent companion that you can't really do anything sexual with.

That's the problem with co ownership of animals with non zoos it's kinda like shooting yourself. You end up with a decent companion that you can't really do anything sexual with.
yeah, i just feel bad. i’m not fully educated on all the science of it, but i do wonder if he’s more lethargic or sad. maybe i’m making it up?

it’s just really hard to justify it to most people, even to myself. i’m really new to all this, so I hope you can understand why I just let it happen.

its considered a safety thing, something for the health of the dog, and something to prevent a male dog from smelling a female in heat and running away to find her. there’s a lot of reasons why we as a society encourage it.
but i’ve seen a lot of stuff on here about how its mutilation, and i can completely see why. it is a surgery that a dog would probably not consent to.

i feel guilt, and i felt guilt for feeling guilt because one of the main reasons why i would’ve prevented that surgery was just so i could see if the dog wanted to have sex with me or something, and THATS selfish. hopefully this makes sense, i’m just curious if anyone else struggled with being a co-dog owner and having to fix a dog because you live with someone who would be highly against leaving them alone

Can't change what's done, you made decisions based on the information you had available. What you can do though is learn the pros and cons, and make an informed, responsible decision the next time. It might be the same result or different, there's a lot to consider.
Sadly, a lot of what gets claimed as benefits just aren't true and in some cases, can make things worse. Even most vets aren't informed on the current status of things and often suggest spay/neuter when it's not the best choice. It's a difficult problem because a lot of people are irresponsible and that, sadly, affects what gets recommended.

Can't change what's done, you made decisions based on the information you had available. What you can do though is learn the pros and cons, and make an informed, responsible decision the next time. It might be the same result or different, there's a lot to consider.
Sadly, a lot of what gets claimed as benefits just aren't true and in some cases, can make things worse. Even most vets aren't informed on the current status of things and often suggest spay/neuter when it's not the best choice. It's a difficult problem because a lot of people are irresponsible and that, sadly, affects what gets recommended.
This....and the programs run by shelters and such offering discounts on such services are a bit of a scam. It helps inflate a Vet's patient billings, not the animals. Pretty self-interested, it seems.....like the need for cleanings at your dentist every six months; it helps pay the bills, not necessarily your teeth. The ONLY thing Neutering a dog has been demonstrated to stop is wandering after a bitch. Any other "benefit" works at 50 percent, OR LESS, effectiveness. Testicular cancer is a big one, but unless a dog goes into a pain situation, its expensive for a creature that will live 12-15 years at best. It's distressing and invasive. The drawbacks are far ahead of those "Bennies".... So live and learn. The dog will get over it....spoil him a little....not a lot....and itll distract him while he heals.

This....and the programs run by shelters and such offering discounts on such services are a bit of a scam. It helps inflate a Vet's patient billings, not the animals.

Those aren't scams, they are intended to reduce populations and not done for the health of the dog as their primary directive. Shelters are trying to solve the pet population problem by a means other than euthenasia. It is an imperfect solution, if people could be trusted to manage their dog's reproduction it would be much less of an issue. At least zoos can be said to provide some relief to their companions in that regard; I've never had an issue with any of my bitches wanting to wander off when in season. :p

Pretty self-interested, it seems.....like the need for cleanings at your dentist every six months; it helps pay the bills, not necessarily your teeth.

Having seen so many dogs (and people) who's teeth are covered in plaque and the problems that can contribute to, I don't know I'd rail against that. It's one of those services that you can take care of at home for a nominal cost and a small bit of effort or pay someone else, but to claim it has no benefit seems a tad....short sighted.

To me the biggest complaint I have for the usual pro-spay/neuter people is the claim that it reduces aggression, which research has shown that it *increases* agression(1).

It's not like there's no valid reason for spaying, pyometra is an all too common problem for bitches and it is not a trivial one, same with mammary cancer.

Here's a list of some considerations: https://ivcjournal.com/spay-neuter-considerations/

1) Aggression toward Familiar People, Strangers, and Conspecifics in Gonadectomized and Intact Dogs

Wasnt talking about ANY surgery that really IS needful, male or female.Just the ever escalating things that all seem to be leading to "Why bother owning a pet?" decisions.

Tooth care isnt benefitless, but that was about humans, not canines. The way things are currently going, the cost of dental care is insane, and can only get worse. Competition for the jobs dilutes profitability eventually....guess who pays? Currently, I have a Dentist who's afraid to pull MY teeth, becayse the sfb read the side effects list on the meds I take. Ive pulled enough of them to know it aint a problem, but she sends me to an oral surgeon at three times the cost, because shes chicken.

The chief asshole at HSUS has stated many times that he can't wait for the day when dogs vanish, because Man created them....and the audience he preaches to and writes for is buying into it with donations and purchases of books.

So, Ill beg to differ on the scam deal.Local shelters try hard, on very limited budgets, and little help from the National HQs...." but you can help....for just 19 bucks a month....only .63 A DAY!, you can savr this adorable (already dead) puppy from a life of Neglect!
..We need 5000 new givers in the next 60 minutes....so if you give, we'll send you a ltd edition t-shirt (yup, limited to 15, 000,000)...Do it today! "
Its a scam at the top end, if not at the bottom.

This....and the programs run by shelters and such offering discounts on such services are a bit of a scam. It helps inflate a Vet's patient billings, not the animals. Pretty self-interested, it seems.....like the need for cleanings at your dentist every six months; it helps pay the bills, not necessarily your teeth. The ONLY thing Neutering a dog has been demonstrated to stop is wandering after a bitch. Any other "benefit" works at 50 percent, OR LESS, effectiveness. Testicular cancer is a big one, but unless a dog goes into a pain situation, its expensive for a creature that will live 12-15 years at best. It's distressing and invasive. The drawbacks are far ahead of those "Bennies".... So live and learn. The dog will get over it....spoil him a little....not a lot....and itll distract him while he heals.
Well at least over here you get bonuses from your insurance should you ever be in need of dental surgery, if you go to those cleanings.

Back