Second heat in two months?

ZephyrZoo

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Hi all,

So it's pretty much as the title says. My girl, +-30kg American Pittie of about 3yrs old has gone into heat for the 2nd time in two months. She's had about five or six heats before about 6 months apart on average and we've been active since her 2nd and 3rd heat. She went into heat in August and now today she went into season again. Took her to the vet worried it was an infection but the vet says all is fine, just a regular heat cycle.

Thing is though, that in the last month or so we've been really busy, like much busier than normal so I'm wondering if increased sexual activity can make her come into heat more often? I thought it was all regulated by a hormonal clock.

This is by no means my first rodeo but it's the first time I've seen two heats so close together in a dog this size. Anyone else seen something similar?

That sounds at least unusual.

There are several possibilities:

Either she is really reaching another heat period, this would be quite unusual but technically it all depends on hormones. As such: it is possible.

And depending on what she experienced since the last heat (like: constant sexual life, an infection, other female dogs in heat, hormonal imbalances and like 50 other reasons), it could as well develop out of another reason but "end" as a real heat period.

False pregnancy could as well lead to "heat"-like symptoms, but this should get checked immediately (ultrasonic pictures of her uterine tract and uterus is the minimum in this case, because: see below.).

An infection of the urogenital tract can lead to symptoms, which almost 1:1 "seem" like a heat. Swollen vulva, colored urine, discharge of fluids, even blood - that's possible. But this can as well end in a kidney or bladder infection or even pyometra and end deadly if the cervix closes up due to swelling, pus or discharges collecting inside.

Hormonal imbalances due to other health related issues or even stress could as well (but unlikely!) result in such symptoms or a new heat period. That's quite rare. Hormonal imbalances due to as example mammary tumors actually could inflict such changes, as the hormone balance can get thrown out of the acceptable value fields.

If I were you, I would (but this is no veterinary statement, as I stopped my vet studium to study technology, it's merely what I see as best practice):

- Check her for knots / tumors at the whole length of her mammary glands / milk strips by massaging those and feeling around if there's anything hard (movable or immovable) in the area, which has a higher hardness than fat and usual tissue.

- Check her vulva for any discharge which doesn't look like the initial stages of a heat, like pus or mixed color discharge.

- Massage her belly area (outside) and press in the middle area "between" the milk strips / mammary glands with two to three fingers - with some pressure, not "brutal", just as such as that her internal organs actually "feel" some of this pressure. If she shows any signs of pain without you actually hurting her, go to a veterinary and let her get a check (usually vaginal inspection or ultrasonic, nowadays mostly latter one combined with fever measuring).

- Watch her for other signs which are not normal or usual. Does she eat well? Do you both still have active sexual activities? Does she show any different emotional stance compared to her usual behavior?

- You can as well buy a fever themometer (digital one recommended) and measure her temperature @ anus (2-3 cm deep for correct tempeature). If it is between around 37,4°C to 39,1°C, that's the usual area. Around 39,4°C it's still somewhat acceptable, but shows that the temperature is slightly raised. All above starting from 39,5°C is fever, if it reaches 40°C or even above a veterinary visit is highly recommended.

As you already were on a veterinary and he told you that's a heat, this is a good "start", but.. I've seen quite a lot of veterinaries which didn't recognize early symptoms of more problematic infections. As such I recommend that you keep an eye on her symptoms, the discharge, any signs of unwell-being or fever, any signs of pain. And if the latter one happen, then visit a veterinary - probably best would be another one which doesn't think self-fulfilled: "Oh, she again. She's just in heat, I already told him this.." - that's worse than a neutral check through another person.

But any good veterinary will check her intensely(!) again if she shows any of the symptoms, even more if those get worse. And if you tell them what you checked for and how her symptoms differ from the usual norm, then they should take it as a clear sign that something isn't right and has to get checked thoroughly.

The only thing I've seen being similar to that was my neighbors dog that had an infection🤔

Although I guess that is technically possible,I mean I've read some article somewhere that says dogs can skip a heat cycle if they are physical sick/ill or stressed.So if the opposite where to happen 🤔but obviously the are other factors to consider like the ones mentioned above by Yancha ☝️

I've been meaning to make a thread asking about what really influences a dog's heat cycle and whether or not certain conditions can influence how early or late a dog can go into heat.

Last edited:
That sounds at least unusual.

There are several possibilities:

Either she is really reaching another heat period, this would be quite unusual but technically it all depends on hormones. As such: it is possible.

And depending on what she experienced since the last heat (like: constant sexual life, an infection, other female dogs in heat, hormonal imbalances and like 50 other reasons), it could as well develop out of another reason but "end" as a real heat period.
Thank you for the reply and good info!

We have been unusually sexually active in the last month or six weeks or so, instead of once a day or once every two days sometimes it's been multiple times a day. She's always keen and my libido, well ill chalk it up to the weather haha.
False pregnancy could as well lead to "heat"-like symptoms, but this should get checked immediately (ultrasonic pictures of her uterine tract and uterus is the minimum in this case, because: see below.).
I had her checked this morning at a vet and she seemed to think everything was fine. I told her she had just finished another season no more than two or three months ago and she didn't seem to pay much attention to it.
- Check her for knots / tumors at the whole length of her mammary glands / milk strips by massaging those and feeling around if there's anything hard (movable or immovable) in the area, which has a higher hardness than fat and usual tissue.

- Check her vulva for any discharge which doesn't look like the initial stages of a heat, like pus or mixed color discharge.

- Massage her belly area (outside) and press in the middle area "between" the milk strips / mammary glands with two to three fingers - with some pressure, not "brutal", just as such as that her internal organs actually "feel" some of this pressure. If she shows any signs of pain without you actually hurting her, go to a veterinary and let her get a check (usually vaginal inspection or ultrasonic, nowadays mostly latter one combined with fever measuring).
Thank you! I will try this shortly.
- Watch her for other signs which are not normal or usual. Does she eat well?
She eats very well, I feed her on a cooked and raw combo diet of venison, lamb, beef and all sorts. She eats better than I do and definitely hasn't lost her appetite at all. She ate dinner fifteen mins ago and scoffed it down like it was her last meal as usual.
Do you both still have active sexual activities?
Usually she's not receptive during the first few days and last few days of her heat. Only during the middle few, in estrus I think. So usually as soon as I see her going into heat I put my libido to bed for a few days. I noticed it yesterday afternoon and we haven't done anything since then.
Does she show any different emotional stance compared to her usual behavior?
Her behaviour is typical of her going into heat, she's a little more clingy, a little more moody and sometimes a bit eratic. But nothing out of the ordinary.
As you already were on a veterinary and he told you that's a heat, this is a good "start", but.. I've seen quite a lot of veterinaries which didn't recognize early symptoms of more problematic infections. As such I recommend that you keep an eye on her symptoms, the discharge, any signs of unwell-being or fever, any signs of pain. And if the latter one happen, then visit a veterinary - probably best would be another one which doesn't think self-fulfilled: "Oh, she again. She's just in heat, I already told him this.." - that's worse than a neutral check through another person.
Yea absolutely, always better to get a 2nd opinion. She's with me 24 hours a day, even at work so I'll keep a close eye on her. But so far nothing has made it seem like it's anything other than a really early cycle.

It was two months and one week to be exact. Since her mast season ended. Thanks so much for the advice!

The only thing I've seen being similar to that was my neighbors dog that had an infection🤔
That was my first thought too. I went straight to the vet first thing this morning but they found nothing and she doesn't have any special symptoms of an infection other than her usual seasonal symptoms.
Although I guess that is technically possible,I mean I've read some article somewhere that says dogs can skip a heat cycle if they are physical sick/ill or stressed.So if the opposite where to happen 🤔but obviously the are other factors to consider like the ones mentioned above by Yancha ☝️
The only time my girl is stressed is when I'm eating something and don't give her a piece. She hasn't been sick or anything at all.
I've been meaning to make a thread asking about what really influences a dog's heat cycle and whether or not certain conditions can influence how early or late a dog can go into heat.
It's really interesting actually, I've never had this sort of thing with my ladies in the past though. Although this pittie of mine is special on all kinds of levels.😂

More frequent heat may occur due to environmental influences (weather, heat from strange dogs, etc.). There is a problem when it becomes regular.
She doesn't have much contact with other dogs. Once a week or so I'll take her to a friend's house who might have dogs that she plays with, she loves other dogs. But other than that I can't think of anything. There have been serious rains here where I am though, it's rained pretty much nonstop for two weeks. Not sure if that maybe contributed.

She doesn't have much contact with other dogs. Once a week or so I'll take her to a friend's house who might have dogs that she plays with, she loves other dogs. But other than that I can't think of anything. There have been serious rains here where I am though, it's rained pretty much nonstop for two weeks. Not sure if that maybe contributed.
Two my dogs have been in heat for a week, even though they were in heat for 3 months. It should be -5 C degrees here now, but it is 15 C degrees and the almond trees are blooming and the stupid songbirds are chirping as if springtime, and sunshine.

Her behaviour is typical of her going into heat, she's a little more clingy, a little more moody and sometimes a bit eratic. But nothing out of the ordinary.

That's a good thing, on many of the "false heat" symptoms - due to infections as example - the female dog will not necessarily show any "heat" related emotional changes. As such it's a relief to see her going through the usual heat symptoms and emotions.

There have been serious rains here where I am though, it's rained pretty much nonstop for two weeks. Not sure if that maybe contributed.

"Rain" is not typically related to heat, but temperature changes are (or at least: can be). The relation of four seasons together with more intense temperature changes over more than "just a day" can actually trigger hormone cycles. Same goes for unusual long persistently stable temperatures.

Heat cycles are hormonally (a bit shifted in time, like 3 to 8 weeks) linked to fur change cycles, as well.

The untypical heat does not have to resemble any problematic developments, as such if you keep attention for any pain, stress or fever symptoms, while the changes in her behavior and the heat period develop usually, that's a good thing.

Even if ~10 weeks are really a short time between two heats.

That's a good thing, on many of the "false heat" symptoms - due to infections as example - the female dog will not necessarily show any "heat" related emotional changes. As such it's a relief to see her going through the usual heat symptoms and emotions.
I'm with you, maybe her heat in August was actually a false heat because it was short, about a week or ten days maybe. And her behaviour didn't change all that much. Maybe the previous heat was an infection that came and went and this is her actual heat. Because in August it was about time I didn't think twice about it.
Rain" is not typically related to heat, but temperature changes are (or at least: can be). The relation of four seasons together with more intense temperature changes over more than "just a day" can actually trigger hormone cycles. Same goes for unusual long persistently stable temperatures.
Ah, it has been very cold. I'm used to a stable like 20-25°C pretty much year round and for the whole rainy period the temperatures dropped to 13,14° pretty much every day. Had to break out the dusty duvets in my cupboard.
Heat cycles are hormonally (a bit shifted in time, like 3 to 8 weeks) linked to fur change cycles, as well.
I learnt something today.
The untypical heat does not have to resemble any problematic developments, as such if you keep attention for any pain, stress or fever symptoms, while the changes in her behavior and the heat period develop usually, that's a good thing.

Even if ~10 weeks are really a short time between two heats.
My girl has a pretty easy-going life and is a real drama queen so I'll keep a close eye on her, I'm pretty sure if anything was wrong she definitely would have let me know. I massaged around the glands like you suggested and no pain or discomfort at all. Thanks!

Back