Searching up "Zooville"

Hi, I didn't know where to put this post, I hope this is the right place.

I noticed that whenever I try to look up Zooville to check in on things, there are a few links that seem like they are pretending to be this site, but clicking them leads my computer to tell me there's a security hazard. The only way I've been able to access this forum is by going onto the image tab, of all things. After a number of cartoon animal pictures associated with zoos (the locations), an image from someone's post appears that I can click on to get here.

If it matters, the search engine I'm using is DuckDuckGo, and the browser is Tor. The reason I'm posting this is because I think it's a bit weird that a direct, functional link to the site doesn't come up. That, and the security hazard link is concerning. Is that some alternate link that my computer is being paranoid about, is it an old address, or is it a trap of some kind? And yes, I do know that the admins can't choose for Zooville to be the first result, but maybe they can choose to have no direct links come up? I'm mostly curious, as I haven't had similar experiences with any other website, including other zoo-oriented sites like zoo.wtf. I'm not too knowledgeable about this sort of thing, so anyone's explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• temporary.png
    temporary.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 32
  • temporary2.png
    temporary2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
I'm not being a cunt. It was a simple and straightforward question.

It's much quicker and efficient to just type the URL in instead of searching, going to images, finding the right one, clicking it, then clicking the link there.

If you're going from A to B, are you going to stop at R, F, and V on the way or just go straight there?

Why are people on this website such cunts sometimes
This thought process is precisely what ails people. You can’t define between someone asking a straightforward question that would actually benefit the OP, and being a cunt? How much sugar do you usually enjoy coated on the rest of your life?

... why don't you just type in the URL directly instead of going through a search engine?
Honestly, it's because I haven't visited the site very often until recently (over 3 months between visits) and my memory isn't the greatest (net vs. com). Somewhat ironically, I actually did type in the URL right before checking this board. I appreciate the advice. I'm still curious about the false link and why a direct link doesn't come up, which is the main reason I posted. Streamlining the process of getting on here is a bonus, though =)

Why are people on this website such cunts sometimes
Yeah I don't get why people react the way they do online either. I generally try to formulate a response so as to not come across the wrong way, probably due to being bad at social cues irl, and maybe the lack of social cues online can make people seem less polite or make people care less about being seen as courteous. I can see how @iwanttobeabottom's message may have a somewhat blunt tone to it, and I appreciate your consideration. However, I also get that they're trying to help me save time and reduce unnecessary actions. While that wasn't the original point of my post, there is still value in their constructive criticism.

Using the url directly is a good idea since it prevents you from being sent to a wrong site that might have used a similar hostname for whatever reason. Either to target zooville users for nefarious purposes or by coincidence and the search engine shows it to you.

Using the url directly is a good idea since it prevents you from being sent to a wrong site that might have used a similar hostname for whatever reason. Either to target zooville users for nefarious purposes or by coincidence and the search engine shows it to you.
Yeah, I just thought it was interesting that the search engine's results came up as I described. I know curiosity killed the cat (wrong idiom, but you know what I mean), but I was hoping that I could get people's ideas as to why the search engine did what it did. Given the exploitation of the zoo community online, I'd say your guess that similarly named websites could be nefarious is at least possible, if not probable. For whatever reason, the one I was looking for was not in the screenshot I took, but there was a hazardous "zooville" link that had a description below it saying that it was a forum for zoophiles. To me, that either screams "trap" or "abandoned URL". Thanks for responding!

I've noticed this too, I usually get on via the ZV telegram channel. I think a part of it is how illegal almost all of the content is on this site in a majority of places. Old URLs, fakes/traps set up by other people, and other stuff thats just remained online. Personally, I think its best this website should be relatively hidden or at least take some combination of critical thinking and tech literacy to find.

I've noticed this too, I usually get on via the ZV telegram channel. I think a part of it is how illegal almost all of the content is on this site in a majority of places. Old URLs, fakes/traps set up by other people, and other stuff thats just remained online. Personally, I think its best this website should be relatively hidden or at least take some combination of critical thinking and tech literacy to find.
BBS throwback time.

I noticed that whenever I try to look up Zooville to check in on things, there are a few links that seem like they are pretending to be this site, but clicking them leads my computer to tell me there's a security hazard. The only way I've been able to access this forum is by going onto the image tab, of all things. After a number of cartoon animal pictures associated with zoos (the locations), an image from someone's post appears that I can click on to get here.
zoovilleforum.net
Is this link hard to remember?

Zooville is also the name of several flash cartoon animal games, so it will produce a lot of false results. And a lot of scam sites too.

And yes, I do know that the admins can't choose for Zooville to be the first result
The search results are constantly changing because all search engines use algorithms and change the results based on your interests.

Yeah, I had similar issues trying to find this site, and I'm using Firefox and DuckDuckGo. Was especially confusing because even when I wanted to try typing in the url directly, it took me a while to figure out exactly what the true url was, bc I kept seeing .com and .org variants of it. Took a bit of browsing on zoo Twitter to figure out which was correct.

Back