Rescue intact dog?

I would look on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. At least around where I am there are a ton of dogs needing to be "re-homed" for one reason or another, and coming from individuals instead of shelters there are a lot of them that are intact. And if it's a halfway decent owner you should be able to go meet the dog first and see if you click before you agree to adopt.

its difficult to do but you wont find any intact animals at shelters, well, in most countries, I am not sure about america.
Cyons advice is pretty good.
Sadly in America most shelters will spay and neuter any older dogs at intake and will require you to have any puppies you adopt fixed after they hit puberty. About the only ways to get intact ones is to find one that is a stray, rehome any that folks no longer want, or find puppies.

Sadly in America most shelters will spay and neuter any older dogs at intake and will require you to have any puppies you adopt fixed after they hit puberty. About the only ways to get intact ones is to find one that is a stray, rehome any that folks no longer want, or find puppies.
poor things! i feel bad for them a lot.

I would look on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. At least around where I am there are a ton of dogs needing to be "re-homed" for one reason or another, and coming from individuals instead of shelters there are a lot of them that are intact. And if it's a halfway decent owner you should be able to go meet the dog first and see if you click before you agree to adopt.
True this. I am on craigslist almost daily and when you look therought the farm and garden section you find them. Same goes for facebook. Every now and again you will find hem advertised in various news print.

For sure, keep your eyes peeled for word of mouth transactions. Finding puppies through places like FB marketplace or CL is totally possible, and then you get to choose whether the dog is spayed/neutered. The downside of course, is that you don’t get to adopt a dog in need from the shelter. I would have loved to do that as well when we were looking for our pup, but the culture surrounding dogs ensures that all of them are mutilated, unfortunately. As folks have already pointed out here.

Thank you everyone. yeah I was kinda thinking this. My friend rescues dogs from Mexico and she knows I’m a zoo and I’ve told her I want a dog but I don’t know how she’d feel about me making sure she stays intact. I might just go to Mexico and explore till a stray someone captures my heart. Of course I have to figure out what all the laws are about taking a stray Mexican dog to the US lol. I guess Craigslist would work considering a lot of those dogs probably have shitty circumstances. But not as shitty as shelter dogs. I feel kind of selfish trying to plan this whole thing out so I can get an intact dog when there are so many fixed dogs in need of adoption. And figure out how to answer people’s questions as to why I decided to drive to Mexico and steal a stray lol.

You can sometimes volunteer to foster pre-intakes. Basically, dogs that have been found/surrendered but theres no room at the shelter just yet. Usually the dogs are inspected for health concerns, fed, given shots, and then need a foster home for a bit. You can then just offer to keep the dog.

If the shelter offers an application for an unaltered pet license you might be able to get an unaltered pet from the shelter. I sent an email regarding this to my animal care services within my county. I will follow up with them tomorrow via phone call to get a definitive answer. Once I get more information I will make another comment here.

Yeah it looks like even though it is possible to get an unaltered dog license, shelter dogs don’t qualify for it because the mandatory spay/neuter requirement to even get a shelter pet which is complete and utter bullshit. Apparently it is only available for dogs that you get outside of shelters. Again it’s bullshit.

I am on craigslist almost daily

Lol same. I have 6 dogs already but I still can't keep my ass out of community -> pets and forsale -> farm & garden, just scrolling thru boars, dogs, bulls, cows etc., daydreaming and favoriting the good ones. Sometimes I have all I can do to keep myself in check and smack my own hand away from that Reply button. But it doesn't stop me from keeping watch on what's out there. Shrug. Chalk it up to a guilty pleasure. Make lists of faves and dwell on the what-ifs. Daydream. Coming from a shelter/rescue & foster background, I can't help it. Its practically instinct to pull in dogs. Also thank doG for CL's good implementation of boolean functionality. Strings like this actually work:

(akita | bernard | mastiff | shep* | pyr* | *corso | anatolian | bloodhound | "blood hound" ) (intact | "not fixed" | "not neutered")

HA! Try that with facebook. God I hate FB. And all things social media in general. FB marketplace is such a broken peice of shit, and I feel like nobody knows it but me. The dumbed-down search is terrible, the UI is ass, nothing works right, and the people can't be bothered to write more than a one-liner. And lo, everybody loves it. If you need to buy or sell something, you're stuck with FB, because everybody flocked to it, leaving the functional well-written one (CL) a ghost town for old greymuzzles like me. Sigh.

Lol same. I have 6 dogs already but I still can't keep my ass out of community -> pets and forsale -> farm & garden, just scrolling thru boars, dogs, bulls, cows etc., daydreaming and favoriting the good ones. Sometimes I have all I can do to keep myself in check and smack my own hand away from that Reply button. But it doesn't stop me from keeping watch on what's out there. Shrug. Chalk it up to a guilty pleasure. Make lists of faves and dwell on the what-ifs. Daydream. Coming from a shelter/rescue & foster background, I can't help it. Its practically instinct to pull in dogs. Also thank doG for CL's good implementation of boolean functionality. Strings like this actually work:

(akita | bernard | mastiff | shep* | pyr* | *corso | anatolian | bloodhound | "blood hound" ) (intact | "not fixed" | "not neutered")

HA! Try that with facebook. God I hate FB. And all things social media in general. FB marketplace is such a broken peice of shit, and I feel like nobody knows it but me. The dumbed-down search is terrible, the UI is ass, nothing works right, and the people can't be bothered to write more than a one-liner. And lo, everybody loves it. If you need to buy or sell something, you're stuck with FB, because everybody flocked to it, leaving the functional well-written one (CL) a ghost town for old greymuzzles like me. Sigh.
Not to derail but I do the same thing, scroll through the animals on Craigslist and add to favorites. And same with Facebook marketplace. I literally get different results on the mobile site versus the desktop site with all the same search parameters and I've had friends tell me to look up something they found on there and I can't even pull it up, that result just isn't there for me.

Haha that is me too. I love to just poke around and see whats out there too. I have more control because I have nor money to buy anything with but it is still fun to dream and as you say keep a list. Never know when I might get lucky and be able to buy something. I do love how easily everything works in cl indeed. I don't even have facebook anymore because It was such a pain in my ass in so many ways. Oh I don't know I have found CL list to be pretty decent over the years, let the younger folks have facebook and leave cl to us older, wiser folks. Someone needs some kindness and friendly affection me thinks, ya seem a bit down the way you wrote that last part. Grey muzzles are still sexy and awesome btw.

I hope you have an amazingly beautiful day today with many awesome surprises in store for ya! :gsd_love: 🌷🌹 Hum wonders what kind of affection would pick and old bulls spirits up?

Not to derail but I do the same thing, scroll through the animals on Craigslist and add to favorites. And same with Facebook marketplace. I literally get different results on the mobile site versus the desktop site with all the same search parameters and I've had friends tell me to look up something they found on there and I can't even pull it up, that result just isn't there for me.
Heya buddy nice day to ya! How is this derailing? ya just added more spice to the conversation and added a different perspective to the conversation that enriched it. That how these things work . Thanks for your input!:gsd_happysmile:

Derailing would have been something along the lines of you are stupid, craigslist sucks hairy cack and balls, why are your morons using something so retarded especially when you really can not buy anything anyway! And why bother even looking at facebook if it aint gong to work to your desired specfications. You truly are idiots! Now thats a drealing and trolling all in one!

@Cyon you are cool indeed, thank you for being so polite and adding your two bits, much appreciated! i hope you too have most amzingly beautiful day with many awesome surprises in store! :gsd_love:🌷🌹

If you can adopt a puppy from someone you know or something like that, it’s usually the best bet
Amazingly awesome advice and truly a beautiful idea! It is best when friends or family have something cool they can offer you. Often times this comes with the bonus of discount or free because they know you. Plus you can see things first hand.

A most amazingly beautiful day to you full of wonderful surpises!:gsd_love::gsd_happysmile:🌹🌷

Some years ago, I adopted a Heeler mix from a shelter, who was supposedly neutered. I didn't really care, he'd been there for most of a year and wasn't doing well. Nobody wanted him because he was older and mostly black. I got him home and... surprise! He was intact! He only had one ball and that and his penis weren't too big. Nice, though. He was furry enough that it was easy to miss without a hands-on exam. My Vet convinced me that I really should have both testicles removed as there was a cancer risk with the retained one. I seriously doubt there was any way I could have kept the exposed one.

Well, there was about a six week delay for the surgery, they were busy. So dog and I had some fun together for a while; he enjoyed himself immensely, if for too short a time. Oh, well. After the surgery, the only thing that really changed was the lack of cum, which was immediate. He was up for a suck anytime for the rest of his life. He was a sweet, affectionate dog otherwise and I miss him.

This is def your best bet

Back