Pure breed vs. Mixed breed

Bluewolf2992

Tourist
This is a question I've always wanted others opinions on their thoughts on which they feel is better.

Personally I have had both in my time and both have been good, but with my mixed breeds I've had and currently have had better personality and better health. I can ramble on why I think mutts are better but I like others thoughts on the subject.

I have both a pure breed Lab and a Lab-mix (probably 1/4 or 1/8 of another unknown smaller breed). For us my Lab-mix has had more health problems, but I suspect most of these are down to her being spayed. Personality wise they are both full of character, so I'm personally split 50:50 between pure breed and mixed breed.

With pure breeds the biggest danger is inbreeding and breeding a blood line with hereditary health conditions, but reputable breeders will be Kennel Club (or equivalent) registered, have a family tree or DNA testing of both parents and have a hip/eye tests to avoid these. With mutts or mixed breeds, not knowing the breed and history of the parents would be a concern.

In the hopefully distant future, I like the idea of having a Lab-mix with a larger breed, like a GSD or St Bernard. There are some really beautiful cross breeds and a variety of their temperaments (both good, and bad :LOL:).

As long as they are healthy and happy in themselves, I don't think it really matters if they are mixed or pure bred. It's all good.

No dog is ever guaranteed to have a general clean bill of health. Some purebred dogs go their entire lives with minimal health problems, while some mutts have to go to the vet for various ailments and illnesses 10-20 times a year. Sometimes vice versa. You can never know for certain.

I will say that on average it does appear that mutts are generally healthier than purebred dogs overall. It makes sense since you are diversifying their genetic trates. I know this is definitely the case when it comes to my doggie girls. My mutt mix tends to be as healthy as a horse, while my purebred Newfoundland is riddled with minor health problems, and had a major one almost a year back. They're both doing well right now, but I also have the money to throw at them when problems do arise. It's why I dissuade zoos that are not financially stable from getting dogs. They are money pits, although they are 120% worth every dollar and dime, they are money pits no less.

The same can't be said about a mutt one of my family members has. He is some type of beagle mix and is riddled with minor and major health problems. But I have a feeling that at least some of his problems can be attributed to having his balls snipped off. He was healthy until he reached middle age, then it all started going downhill from there, the poor guy. He has to be pumped full of medicine multiple times a day just to have a relatively normal-ish quality of living.

"In 2013, a study found that mixed breeds live on average 1.2 years longer than pure breeds."

Google "Hybrid Vigor."

I have only had mixed breeds. To be honest I think a mixed breed or a pure breed can be a fun, exciting abs faithful companion as long as you care for him and love him.

Any dog can have health issues purebred or not. Hybrid Vigor isn't totally true either, at least not in this case. I've worked in the veterinary field and i've known purebreds with terrible issues and mutts with terrible issues, no dog is clean and free of diseases and mood conditions.

While yes in general a mix can prevent certain health issues, you have to be wary of the breeds you mix, because the puppies can instead have the bad health and bad attitude of both. One of the most aggressive dogs I've ever seen was a lab/Rott, and one of the dogs with the worst health issues I've ever seen was a maltese/poodle.

tl;dr
Any and every dog is suspect to health issues and illness, and a dog being a purebred or a mutt has no bearing on the animal's ability to be an awesome dog and companion. Do your research, find out the dog's background ifa rescue, and make sure the dog is right for your life before you bring it home no matter what it may be. Dogs rock. Go with what you like from a reputable shelter, rescue, or breeder and you're likely to have a lifelong friend.

Back