Possible inguinal hernia in my new pup

Ebonstar

Tourist
So, I've got a new puppy about a week ago and I just noticed a very slight bulge on the inner thigh that was not symmetrical to the other side. I pushed a bit onto it with a finger and it vanished. Looking this up, the websites say "inguinal hernia" and usually recommend surgery to repair.

Naturally, this has some ramifications. Since I'm here in zooville, you can probably guess that I intend for us to become lovers after she grows up. But also naturally I cannot tell this to my vet. If this is a hernia and the vet says "let's fix it... and spay" I'll be in a pickle because fixing a hernia is the perfect time to spay since you can do both surgeries with one anesthetic. Saying "no" to the vet would probably raise questions. I can't do what I did last time with my purebred and say I might breed her. This pup is a mix and any dog with a hernia should not be bred anyway since it is often hereditary.

Anyone have advice for me? If it's really slight, can I just keep an eye on it but not go to the vet about it? I don't want to get her spayed because obviously that would eliminate future sexytimes.

I'll give the same advice I always give in this situation: Tell the vet you want the hernia fixed and no spay. Give them money and they will do whatever you want. If they don't go find another vet. The caveat here being that you might lose the relationship with that vet which might be important to you. The worst thing is that they will think less of you for that decision. Trust me that vets see all sorts of weird things and you won't even register on the radar. Could also just mention that you don't want the added expense of the spay. I highly doubt any vet will do the spay for free during the hernia surgery. Don't ignore it.

I used to go to a vet I liked quite a bit (only reason I stopped going is because I moved). I took my pup there from day one and they pushed spay/neuter on me very hard. Every time we came in they'd mention it and I kept telling them no. Eventually after making much the same arguments as above, I finally got a little upset and told them a true story of how a friends dog almost died from a botched neuter and how my dog is an integral part of my family and I would not be putting mine through an unnecessary surgery while risking the same. They told me that kind of thing is very rare and I snapped back with a "but it does happen?" They never asked me again after that. They can't force you to agree to it and they don't want to lose you as a customer. Take your pups to the vet and have no fear. Be stern if you have to.

Just tell the vet that you intend to breed her with someone else's dog.

You should not need to lie. It is your dog, it is your decision.
True, but the OP seems to be looking for a few lines to run by his vet. Personally, I agree with your statement; I could never have my dog's balls chopped off.

If they say "let's fix her" just say ummmm nahhh no explination needed or just say don't have the funds yet but you intend to later. Probably better to not assume anyone who doesn't have their dog fixed is a zoo.

True, but the OP seems to be looking for a few lines to run by his vet. Personally, I agree with your statement; I could never have my dog's balls chopped off.
yes but as I said, she's a mix and hernias are hereditary. So I'd be insane to breed her and the vet knows it. I will have to object based on factors like cost and risk and not wanting to mess with her hormones.

Might work to have another vet fix the hernia than my usual vet. Though I'd still have to answer questions when it comes up: "Why didn't you get her spayed at the same time?"

The problem with making stuff up is that if not for zoo I probably WOULD get her spayed. And many people can tell when you're not being completely honest.

===============

A little update on this is that I'm still not sure if this even is a hernia. I don't see anything and touching it is squishy on both sides. Could just be normal. Or maybe it's just so slight the vet will say that she'll grow out of it. After all, she's growing very quickly right now. She's gone from 4.1kg to 5.4kg in the last seven days and is visibly larger.

Last edited:
yes but as I said, she's a mix and hernias are hereditary. So I'd be insane to breed her and the vet knows it. I will have to object based on factors like cost and risk and not wanting to mess with her hormones.

Might work to have another vet fix the hernia than my usual vet. Though I'd still have to answer questions when it comes up: "Why didn't you get her spayed at the same time?"

The problem with making stuff up is that if not for zoo I probably WOULD get her spayed. And many people can tell when you're not being completely honest.
Thatnks to Covid most vets are curbside, well at least in my area. There's no risk of "what if the question comes up?" Unless you regualrly go out to dinner with your vet or something like that. I assure you they won't hold a spotlight in your face and ask you "whats's the REAL reason you didn't get her SPAYED??!!?!?" IMO

I quite doubt that the vet will report you for being zoo because you refused to spay her. That is no evidence. If you want to keep that vet, get another one to do this one thing.

If it is indeed a small inguinal hernia, the inguinal ring could maybe tighten up untill 12ish weeks of age (or so I've read), preventing material from herniating through it, so maybe give it a bit more time if she's younger then that.
It's still a good idea to at least get her checked and get all the pertinent info from the vet. If she's a puppy she'll likely also be due for shots at some point. The vet won't randomly accuse you of anything just because you're reluctant to put your dog through surgery, but they might insist on what they think is best for the dog. The vet will for sure recommend spaying, as estrus will make tissues more elastic and increase the risk of material herniating in the future. That being said, they can't spay her without your consent.
Also, for discussion's sake, inguinal hernias can be corrected at a younger age. Some people may want to wait until the dog is physically mature before spaying them, given more recent work showing reduction in certain orthopedic problems. It might make sense to address the hernia in a first surgery if you and your vet are worried about it causing problems, then revisit spaying later on. That would give you more time to figure out what's best for her regarding spaying.
Lastly, if she does have a hernia, and you decide against surgery, keep a close eye on it. The hernia won't cause problems unless material (i.e. bladder, uterus, intestines, etc) gets trapped and strangulated and there's no telling when what might happen. At that point, it will rapidly cause serious problems. If/when that happens, you know you'll have to go to surgery to fix it. Lastly, obesity also increases the risk of hernias, so keep her weight healthy, and obviously pregnancy would increase the risk too.

Snip all the "yabbuts"

You're *ALL* over-thinking things to the level of outright stupidity.

It's very simple - the conversation will go something like this:

Vet: "How about we spay her while we're at it?"
Me: "You first."
Vet: *ANY* response at all that isn't equivalent to "As you wish."
Me: "The phone book is full of veterinarians if you want to keep talking."
Vet: *ANY* response that isn't equivalent to "As you wish."
Me: Picks up dog/snaps on lead/loads into crate/whatever and heads out door with dog, never to be seen or heard from by that vet again.

Your dog, your choice, and if the vet (or anybody else) doesn't like it, find another vet. It's truly that easy. You're under no obligation to explain your decision. The only relevant factor is that you made it, and it's now the job of the vet to abide by it, whether or not (s)he likes it.

You're *ALL* over-thinking things to the level of outright stupidity.
Me: "You first."
Me: "The phone book is full of veterinarians if you want to keep talking."

Not everyone has the personality to be that rude. Plus, it does not promote a healthy relationship with one's vet. I've been very friendly and agreeable so far and it would be really obvious if suddenly I were to switch to being an asshole on this one point.

Further, the phone book might be full of vets but might not be full of vets who won't see red flags at an owner firmly refusing that which 99.9% of the people think is a normal and expected procedure. I have no doubt they would do what I request. The question is, what happens after that decision?

Here in Australia, they are even floating legislation around that would force non-breeders to sterilize their dogs (ostensibly for the purpose of preventing backyard breeding). I just hope they never pass that bill. Currently, it's still an option to register intact dogs as far as I know.

If it is indeed a small inguinal hernia, the inguinal ring could maybe tighten up untill 12ish weeks of age (or so I've read), preventing material from herniating through it, so maybe give it a bit more time if she's younger then that.
It's still a good idea to at least get her checked and get all the pertinent info from the vet. If she's a puppy she'll likely also be due for shots at some point.
That is indeed the case. She's now ten weeks old and is due for her 2nd vaccination in a week. I have mentioned that we have a potential hernia to check out so that's all on the table. The vet acknowledged this but informed me that they usually wait until about six months of age so that they can repair it at the same time the dog is desexed.

I'll definitely keep a close eye on it in the meantime. It only seems to show up rarely, so I'm not sure what kind of structure it has. Could be a very slight hole that isn't letting much material through. I'll see if I can catch it bulging again and take a photo.

Not everyone has the personality to be that rude.

That's not "rude", bud. That's expecting your employee to do what you're paying him/her to do and keep his opinion on things not *DIRECTLY* connected to the critter's health to himself. Exactly the same as I wouldn't tolerate a doctor preaching Jesus at me, or an electrician trying to sell me on his favorite politician. NONE of these things, including a vet trying to browbeat an owner into a zero-benefit mutilation, is acceptable.

But hey, if you wanna make excuses for him and play doormat, that's your decision. Go for it.

That's not "rude", bud. That's expecting your employee to do what you're paying him/her to do and keep his opinion on things not *DIRECTLY* connected to the critter's health to himself. Exactly the same as I wouldn't tolerate a doctor preaching Jesus at me, or an electrician trying to sell me on his favorite politician. NONE of these things, including a vet trying to browbeat an owner into a zero-benefit mutilation, is acceptable.

But hey, if you wanna make excuses for him and play doormat, that's your decision. Go for it.
Now what if its requires by state/city to spay/neuter? Would you snatch that creature away and have them call animal control for not complying? if your polite to them they may overlook it however if your rude they will find a way to make your life miserable

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. These people do view it as "directly connected to the critter's health". That's their perspective.

Not only that, but the government is trying very, very hard to make neutering mandatory. Forced by law. Exceptions for licensed breeders. That kind of totalitarian shit. And apparently, the sentiment here is largely in support of such a thing, though thank goodness the bill is being opposed by what's left of the sensible politicians.

All I was saying is that if I raise red flags, then it could cause trouble. And red flags get raised when people act out of character. I will have to phrase my dissent in my own way.

So far so good. I have not seen the bump return in the last 2 or 3 days.

First time I noticed it, I was able to push with my finger and make it go away.
Second time was maybe a day later. Same situation.
But she's growing fast and I'm thinking maybe her in sides are getting big enough to not fit through the hole anymore. Or something. Was weird but it seems to be staying away now. Fingers crossed. Will be going to the vet anyway on Friday for vaccinations so I'll ask then.

Ended up going to the vet today instead because I noticed ringworm on her belly. So we just did the checkup today including the vet feeling around for any hernias. Good news: She's fine. Vet said that the lump which only shows up at certain times is likely just fatty tissue and is fine.

So that's a bullet dodged. No hernia surgery, which would be pricey af.

Just say you want her to have pups eventually, doesn’t have to be for any specific reason. But I’ve never really met a vet that cared that much about having a dog spayed/neutered so 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Back